By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Article: "The problem with Sony".....what do you make of it?

CAL4M1TY said:
With all these anti-MS and anti-Nintendo threads popping up, I'm glad sony is getting some hate now.

Seriously though, it's just another person rehashing details we all know:
- Cell is expensive to developer and produce
- Blu-ray is not yet guaranteed the next step up from DVD
- PS3 is hard to develop for
- PS3 online sucks VS xbox live (debatable)
- Lack of exclusives

The only argument he/she made that I don't agree with is that sony didn't judge the way the market was swinging. I find that a bit ridiculous, seeing as how EVERYONE but nintendo and it's legion of followers believed Wii would fail. There is no way sony could have went (okay, Nintendo is bringing out something new, it's untested, so let's follow them anyway!).

I agree with the points in the article but I also agree that this is old.  These points have been posted time and time again on forums since the PS3 came out.

I give this thread a 9.4.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Around the Network

Is he really bringing up PSN after talking about the direction the Wii is headed in?

Sony's online may not be as complete as XBL but it is leagues ahead of Nintendo's online strategy.

And LOL at the BR links from bruce's blog that call it "another failed Sony medium". Last I heard BR won.

i agree with the article except the fact that "alot of ps2 owners have yet to upgrade to this gen". is false alot have upgraded but to wii instead of ps3. what made the ps2 so popular was defective units (people buying 2-4 units cause of bad hardware) and the dvd phenomenon. sony thought it would do it again if they brought out the blueray. but as a video media it has failed kinda like the umd fiasco. yes you will sell units but if you take away ps3 sales from teh blueray seperate players the hd-dvd would hvae won hands down. but being in 3rd place cant be good and it looks like from the nubmers in america the 360 will win sales this week.

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

azrm2k said:
Last I heard BR won.

It still has a mighty battle against DVD. And by the time that's in full swing, a new medium might well surpass them both.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

azrm2k said:
Is he really bringing up PSN after talking about the direction the Wii is headed in?

Sony's online may not be as complete as XBL but it is leagues ahead of Nintendo's online strategy.

And LOL at the BR links from bruce's blog that call it "another failed Sony medium". Last I heard BR won.

It won the HD war.  It's really behind in it's adoption curve discs wise compared to DVD though... and only ahead of DVD drive adoption when you count PS3s.

It hasn't failed yet... but it's far from succeeded to.

Around the Network
disolitude said:

Meh...some points are on the money some are off. Had it launched as it did with similar price point without bluray, sony PS3 would have been sharing the same store discount bins as HD-DVD movies. So good thing they have that...

My biggest problem with PS3 is that gaming wise, it doesn't offer anything more than xbox 360 offers, despite being a year late to the party and more expensive. Infact they are still trying to catch up in most areas...(games library, online, exclusives...etc)

With your reasons for the ps3 failing to offer, you do realize that those problems are mostly a result of launching a year later in NA and 16 months late in EU right? It sounds like you're contradicting yourself. No way, the ps3 would have ever sat in discount bins like Hd-DVD movies because there are lots of people like me who are brand-loyal. I could make the claim that 10 mil out of the current 14 mil ps3'swere sold on brand loyalty. Especially in EU where the 360 is waaay cheaper, ps3 released 16 months late and has already caught up to the 360!

On topic, I have to agree with the analyst on the brand-loyalty sales because at the time of the ps3's launch, most people didn't really want to upgrade to a new HD format so you can't really say blu-ray sold many consoles. Even though there was a vastly superior line-up for a gamer on 360, people (like me) chose the ps3 because:

1. The name "playstation" is synonymous with gaming in my household not nintendo surprisingly

2. I became a true gamer with the advent of the ps1 and still play games from that generation. I needed 1 machine to play them all and offer me the potential of new experiences. I wasn't sold based on home or any online service because I've always been a jrpg fan first and never really played much of any other genre till this gen. COD4 is the first FPS I ever purchased and the first game I ever played online and for me, the PSN worked fine.

However, I have to agree with the analyst that sony went too far with the ps3 hardware tech. It was Krazy Ken's disease. He seemed so engulfed in releasing hardware more powerful than microsoft's that he lost all focus on what the made the empire he had built as great as it was. Perhaps this was because people kept showing how the xbox was more powerful than ps2. M$ sold a whole bunch of xbox's just by proving that alone. As an engineer, it looks like his ego was at stake having products out there that were more powerful than his invention. Thus came the lust for tech prowress that is the ps3.

Personally, I think Kutaragi singlehandedy invigorated gaming and developed the greatest empire ever (hint: its called "playstation"). However, he also singlehandedly took it down by going crazy with the R&D without even bothering to report to his bosses.  Is it possible that he did this on purpose because they didn't make him CEO even when the PS brand was responsible for the vast majority of sony's profits back then? We will never know.

For me, I appreciate what Ken has done even though he failed on his 3rd attempt because he brought me the best games and entertainment I've had my entire life just like I still consider Zidane my favorite player ever despite his gaffe at the world cup. For this reason, I'll support PS till it ceases to exist or till I cease to enjoy gaming...whichever comes first!

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Sony shot itself in the foot by trying to gobble up the Xbox's Hardcore market to eliminate Microsoft as potential contendor this generation. In turn they created a console so westernized that it has virtually no appeal in Japan and everywhere else is unable to beat Microsoft at its own game. Sony had let Microsoft lure it onto their home turf.

Sony shot itself in the foot by making a console that was too expensive, too over-engineered to compete realistically in the market.

The online strategy means nothing for the PS3, only the 360 benefits from a prime online strategy because its demographic relishes such aspects. You all seem to think the PS3 and 360 are sharing the same market, but while the 360 appeals to the 15-25 year old internet-savy jock gamer crowd, the PS3 really largely appeals to the much older 25-40 year old demographic of financially stabilizing adults who either want to own the "best" (most powerful) product of its respective market or own a Blu-Ray player or the HD console that they're told is the most ideal for their new $15,000 1080i wide screen TV. They really don't play that many games and don't really consider video gaming much of a passion.

The 360 has become the hardcore gamer console of choice while the PS3 is becoming a luxury necessity in the same right as HD TVs.

Time will show...

i read the whole article, i agree with most of the points, we cant deny tat the arrogance of sony has caused them to make alot of wrong decisions and pulled PS3 back but there are oso points that i disagreed.

1) yes ps3 is at 3rd place now but its catching up the 360. check the sales of both consoles this year n u will need no further explanation

2) i dont know abt the statistics of the ps3's graphic card i am not a computer hardware expert but i can see that it certainly is not producing sucky graphics comparing to the 360. games like R&C ==>uncharted==>MGS4 shows the graphics are improving all the time. n i believe Killzone 2 will be another milestone for ps3's graphical improvement next year.

I think that his analysis is pretty humorous as he is just evaluating one unit of Sony, not the entire company, which any armchair investment analyst would/should do. Also, if you look at his bio, Bruce is a pretty accomplished character, but oddly enough, he exhibits a lot of hasty reasoning and jumps to conclusions with his analysis without looking at things beyond a superficial level.