By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I'll never buy a game for my PS3

I think the OP is on to something (though why someone would come to a gaming sales website join and post that is beyond me).

Isn't the PS3 the only Profile 2.0 compatible (or at least the cheapest) BR-DVD player out there right now?

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

Sounds like a fairly good use - you won't get media center functionality out of most Blu-Ray players, I imagine.

That's fair.

Sounds like you have a sh!t hot set-up

Amarok said:

Ok, slightly provocative title, but its sentiment is true enough for me.  I spend 95% of my gaming time on a MMOLRPG called Final Fantasy XI (PC version), and the rest on my Wii.

However I bought a PS3 about 3 weeks ago, and its so far doing everything I had expected of it.  Providing a media centre in my front room.

Matched with some media centre software called Twonkymedia on my home server (with 4TB attached via a Drobo), the PS3 is exceeding my expectations as a high def all-in-one media centre.  I can play all my HD file formats, WMV, MP4, MKV (needs to be made compatible first using mkv2vob), M2TS, DivX, without glitches or issues and can finally get rid of the awkward Shuttle PC running Windows XP and various media players, via a wireless keyboard and mouse.

I've started building up my Blu-Ray collection, and enjoy checking out the trailers on the online shop.  I like the fact it has a Gb ethernet port since my home network is Gb wired, and I'm just waiting for Sony to release their new range of Amps which have 3 HDMI inputs and support all the sound formats (should be out early August).

My guess is that more and more people will be buying the PS3 almost solely for BluRay and Media capabilities, and for me at least the games are just a bonus (if any come out that interest me).  In fact since getting the BluRay remote control, I exclusively use that instead of the uncomfortable PS3 controller.

The only one gripe I have so far is that the upscaling of SD DivX content is very poor (Seems to just pixel double instead of de-ringing/de-blocking like a H.264 file would insist on), but since more and more content is HD these days, I can live with that (I'm still hoping they improve DivX playback in firmware though).

So anyway, I don't get to see many people comment on using their PS3 as a media player here, but I'm always checking to see how well this generation of consoles are doing out of interest.  I'm in no way a Sony Fan, I was pretty much put off from buying anything from them again after the laptop battery affair, rootkits and sending Liksang out of business.  But since Bluray won the HD format war I've been able to jump off the 360/PS3 fence and start my disposible income spending once again.  I also managed to nab a 40GB model for £249 from Amazon which still seems to be hard to find, so I feel I got a bargain.

good for u ,, and welcome to the forums 

EaglesEye379 said:
Cool. Heres a question:

How much does the new PSN Video Store affect you? Is it going to affect your Blu-Ray buying habits at all? Do you see yourself downloading videos that you would have instead bought a BR in the future?

He is in the UK and we have no video store

Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:
I think the OP is on to something (though why someone would come to a gaming sales website join and post that is beyond me).

Isn't the PS3 the only Profile 2.0 compatible (or at least the cheapest) BR-DVD player out there right now?

Mike from Morgantown

because he bought the console? just like the people who bought the PS3 due to its a Blu-ray PLayer with a game console added onto it.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I've got two PS3s and I'll never buy a multi-plat title this gen for either, just exclusives.

Munkeh111 said:
Do you have no interest in any the games, stuff like Uncharted and CoD are great

Yeah I do really, my title was overly provactive to pull in the crowds.  But my point is, I haven't bought it for any games, if I do buy any games (FFXIII, RE5 are on my interested list) it will be just because I can, since I will already have the console sitting there.  I have already downloaded stardust to show off HD gaming.  I'm not a fan of first person shooters using a control pad, I did try the uncharted demo, reminded me alot of Tomb Raider back in the days when I played the hell out of the original game on the PS1.

Famine said:

Seems like a waste of money. You should have waited for cheaper Blu-ray players, and for the price of Blu-ray titles to drop.

Actually for me price wasn't a great issue, but what is important is to have something that will play everything I want, as easily as possible.  Blu-ray is just one part, and currently I'd say about 15% of my media needs.  I needed a nice looking DLNA client which has a remote control and HD playback, and so far the PS3 is working out really nicely.

Sooner or later you will buy at least one and all the world will laugh at you ... or nobody will even care ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!