By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why I hope Wii motionplus isn't used in too many games.

I have a feeling that it will be packed in with all of the Wii Remotes eventually. I could be wrong. Yeah, I'm wrong. That's just what I hope. Honestly though, I believe that this is going to be used in FPS games more than anything else.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
steven787 said:

I have another problem with this pack in with WiiSports.

I feel having a semi-required peripheral packed in exclusively with a first party game continues to be a little unfair to third parties. Nintendo can do what ever they want, it's their console, their dongle, their game but I think it hurts the long term strategy.

Again, the peripheral enhances certain games, but is by no means required to play normally. It's not a big deal. If players want that extra level of immersiveness, they buy it.

Some people buy $250 steering wheels to play driving games. And some hardcore driving fanatics have racing bucket seat/frame mounts to go with the steering wheel and pedals.

Does it add to the gaming experience? Totally. But a pad is fine for everyone who doesn't have either the means or the desire to spend close to a thousand bucks on an interface set up to make their driving games "feel more real."

A $20 clip on accelerometer (assuming it costs the same as a Nunchuk) is not a big deal for the supposed advantages it provides, assuming developer/designer/coder competence. The only issue I see is for those who feel they need to buy 4 of these things.

Not quite the same as the two $10 plastic clip on peripherals Nintendo has released to date (wheel and zapper).

As for "fairness," first consider that Nintendo didn't bother to let any third party developers in on the MotionPlus add on. They all found out about it at E3, same as everyone else. There were no early dev kits sent out to developers. The first wave of games using it will be Nintendo games as a result.

In regards to the Balance Board, Wii Fit by itself is not far removed from Wii Play (essentially a $10 game). If the Boards were sold separately, they probably wouldn't cost a dime less than $80.

For third party devs, these control schemes are additional tools in the developer's tool box if they choose to use them, ideally because they enhance the games, rather than as a gimmick.

Balance Board = totally optional with standard controls required.

MotionPlus = totally optional with the option of making games MotionPlus only (purchase required)

I see little point in having games that use MotionPlus but don't require it as it should make the games easier and more intuitive to play assuming it's done properly. Without it, the controls logically wouldn't be as smooth.

You make a good point Greenmedic but I think you are only referring to hardcore/core gamers.

The casual owners won't be so quick to buy three extra ones to race jetskis.

When they do, that is money they could have spent on another game.

For the poor core gamer, this is a huge deal. $60 is a lot of money that we could have spent on third party games.

Hey, and I don't think the WM+ is going to be optional on WiiSR or many other games that it comes out for.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

amp316 said:
I have a feeling that it will be packed in with all of the Wii Remotes eventually. I could be wrong. Yeah, I'm wrong. That's just what I hope. Honestly though, I believe that this is going to be used in FPS games more than anything else.

I don't see why. FPS is far more dependant on IR than the accelerometer. WMP isn't going to make the pointer more accurate, though I suppose it might help a bit with some of the supplementary gestures which FPS games sometimes have.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

love how everyone still doubts nintendo's businesss plan - they've already stated that games that use balance board controls must include 2 control options just like skate it and SW snowboarding both have balance board as an option - not the mandatory control type.

I see the wii motion being no different than this - it'll just be a deluxe option with tighter controls and if it is supported enough then eventually everyone will have a game that will make them happy to purchase it for.

The reason it's mandatory for Wii Sports 2 is cos you get it free with that game so they're not forcing anyones hand.

Eventually when sales slow and this and the balance board both have an attach rate of 10m+ then a Wii, 2 Wiimotes and nunchucks, 2 motion controllers, a zapper and a balance board is a helluva bundle to have choice to when all peripherals already have decent support but to release them as standard beforehand perceives them as gimmcks in the eyes of some.

Around the Network
Me said:

love how everyone still doubts nintendo's businesss plan - they've already stated that games that use balance board controls must include 2 control options just like skate it and SW snowboarding both have balance board as an option - not the mandatory control type.

I see the wii motion being no different than this - it'll just be a deluxe option with tighter controls and if it is supported enough then eventually everyone will have a game that will make them happy to purchase it for.

The reason it's mandatory for Wii Sports 2 is cos you get it free with that game so they're not forcing anyones hand.

Eventually when sales slow and this and the balance board both have an attach rate of 10m+ then a Wii, 2 Wiimotes and nunchucks, 2 motion controllers, a zapper and a balance board is a helluva bundle to have choice to when all peripherals already have decent support but to release them as standard beforehand perceives them as gimmcks in the eyes of some.

I'll be honest, I'm not doubting there business plan as much as I'm not liking it.

Yeah, Nintendo has been a profitable company for the last 20 years, they will continue to be.  But I think by them releasing these packs and peripherals they are pushing gamers wallets a little too far for not enough actual game play-time.  Gamers on Wii, both core and casual are not able to afford as many games; which I think is the key to long term growth.

This is more about where Nintendo will be in ten years.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Euphoria14 said:

Expansion pack for N64 was not a standard, not all games released afterwards used it. Only games I played that required it were Majoras Mask and RE2. Most future titles did not require it from what I know.

And, perhaps more importantly, all titles that required it, required only one. Wii Sports Resort alone requires at least two for some serious fun at fencing. And this is what we already know.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

Just pack it in for free with all the Wii Remotes and Wii Plays you send out to the shops in the future. It won't be too hard.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Wii Motion Plus cannot become the standard. There are too many people who are light players and will not enjoy the frustration of buying a game and finding out it doesn't work when they get home. This will turn people off of the Wii (and probably consoles in general).

I don't see a new peripheral being any sort of a marketing problem with a pack in. Look at how much Rock Band costs for the ability to play one game basically. I could see other Wii Motion Plus specific games if it sells really really well, but this would require a special sticker or designator (a la the upcoming red WiFi icon).

Gee, you think about it, console gaming is becoming much more complicated due to all these options. I wonder if there will be an eventual backlash?

No way Motion + can become the standard , with 30 Million consoles sold it's just too difficult to ensure it did if not impossible .

Motion + could be a widley used option but nothing more .