By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why I hope Wii motionplus isn't used in too many games.

I had to buy an expansion pack for Perfect Dark, I didn't realise it required it when I bought it from a stall for £3 (this was only 1 1/2 years ago) so I had to get one from Ebay for £10.

Although if they don't bring Majora's Mask to VC soon it may at least get a some more use from me buying it on N64.

Around the Network

motion + will probably become the new rumble pack for the Wiimote, I wont be suprised if Sony comes out with a similar add on for 1 handed functions on the Ps3 controller using the top usb port.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Sony started making tons of games require the original Dualshock, despite it not being the standard controller at first. All they had to do was pack it in with the console. Nintendo will probably do that, but they're in a better position because they don't have to force you to buy all-new controllers to take advantage of the tech.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
dib8rman said:
motion + will probably become the new rumble pack for the Wiimote, I wont be suprised if Sony comes out with a similar add on for 1 handed functions on the Ps3 controller using the top usb port.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing ...

I would expect that (roughly) 80% of upcomming Wii games will probably not need to use Wii MotionPlus in order for a game to function and for it to be enjoyable, but the increased accuracy would certainly be a benefit; even if it was only to increase the reliability of the game for reading gestures. The other 20% might require it or have absolutely no use for it att all.

thekitchensink said:
Sony started making tons of games require the original Dualshock, despite it not being the standard controller at first. All they had to do was pack it in with the console. Nintendo will probably do that, but they're in a better position because they don't have to force you to buy all-new controllers to take advantage of the tech.

Yes, people seem forgetful how willing consumers are to buy good add-ons for leading systems. Even on N64 (which wasn't a leading system) the Expansion pack sold a few million units and a had a few dozen games that supported but didn't require it. And that was a just 4MB of additonal RAM you put in the front of N64, not one of the more exciting add-ons out there.

I can't beleive shelf space is actually being argued for the Wii Motion Plus. I doubt retailers will be any bit hesitant to stock this thing. It's smaller than a Nunchuck or the remote, so it'll probably hang on the rack with all the other controllers options. The game box itself won't be any bigger than Mario Kart Wii or Wii Play and will likely sell as well. Hell you'll probably see them throw it into forced bundles with Wii Play, Wii Sports Resort, and an additonal Nunchuck and Motion Plus do-dad. (If they don't, eBay sellers sure as hell will.)

Around the Network

I really don't care how many games use the Motionplus, just as long as they don't tack on motion control for the sake of motion control. There are games that the motion control is used well, and other games that they obviously used it just because it's there, not because it added value to the game.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

I can't think of why any developer wouldn't just support controls with and without MotionPlus.

The most obvious MotionPlus use is sword fighting. We already have Red Steel, Clone Wars and Force Unleashed (and others) for this with existing controls. So for those who have MotionPlus they get the 1:1 everyone else get's Clone Wars controls.

Tilt control is already very accurate - Mercury Meltdown is extremely responsive so no benefit from MotionPlus there.

Z&W also worked fine without MotionPlus. Etc. Etc.

I doubt anyone would 'require' MotionPlus' (at least not until it has large userbase) but many games may support it.

Hawk said:
I really don't care how many games use the Motionplus, just as long as they don't tack on motion control for the sake of motion control. There are games that the motion control is used well, and other games that they obviously used it just because it's there, not because it added value to the game.

I think part of the problem is that developers don't know what to do with it other than waggle (button replacement with a motion)

For the most part I don't think just replacing buttons with a waggle has any point except to free up the limited Wiimote buttons. There are a few exceptions like in Metoid prime 3 with the grapple (shove forward and back with nunchuck) And part of the reason Mario Spin attack works is that it is hardly an effort at all. (Wheras the spin attack for link in LoZ:TP required too much force IMO)

They just need to Bundle it with the next Zelda, Mario and Wii Sports... and they are sell...

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

thekitchensink said:

Hmmm, I read the only game that *required* Dualshock on the PS1 was Ape Escape.