By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why I hope Wii motionplus isn't used in too many games.

i hope it is kinda it seems very fun to control!

Around the Network
steven787 said:
I could see a Holiday pack (2012 when the sales start to slow ) With a Wii + WiiSports + Wii Sports Resort and the Dongle for $300 no price cut, but that doesn't help with the 29+ million users.

29M+ now, Wii Sports Resort does not release for another 6-7 months, so we would be talking 40 or possibly 50M owners out there without the addon.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

sc94597 said:

Nintendo doesn't need to add to the price of the wii. The wii makes such a profit they could add in the costs of these add-ons and it will still make them a profit. you are correct though Euphoria14 about having more than one of these add-ons, but we still don't know how much the Add-on will cost seperately, and the attach rate of it. I think the number of games using this depends on how many people buy the add on. Oh and  they could make two versions of the game one with the add ons and one without.

I seriously doubt the 1 game with and 1 without idea. As I said with Guitar Hero, it works for them because it is only 1 game.

Let us say after the release of the addon we get 30 new games, your now talking about stores making space for 60 games along with all the games they already carry. Then comes the fact that if someone purchases a multiplayer game, they are forced to buy 1-3 more alongside it.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

steven787 said:
Another issue with packing it in with more than just WSR is shelf space, retailers are already struggling with three consoles, three rockbands, 25 guitar heroes, 2 portables, 3 versions of DDR, WiiPlay, Wiifit (Ok, not really taking up shelf space:P )etc.

Retailers love peripherals, they make tons of money off of them. :)

Euphoria14 said:
sc94597 said:

Nintendo doesn't need to add to the price of the wii. The wii makes such a profit they could add in the costs of these add-ons and it will still make them a profit. you are correct though Euphoria14 about having more than one of these add-ons, but we still don't know how much the Add-on will cost seperately, and the attach rate of it. I think the number of games using this depends on how many people buy the add on. Oh and  they could make two versions of the game one with the add ons and one without.

I seriously doubt the 1 game with and 1 without idea. As I said with Guitar Hero, it works for them because it is only 1 game.

Let us say after the release of the addon we get 30 new games, your now talking about stores making space for 60 games along with all the games they already carry.

Or you could just have half of those 30 with the perepherial and half without. Don't they do this with GH?

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Euphoria14 said:
sc94597 said:

Let us say after the release of the addon we get 30 new games, your now talking about stores making space for 60 games along with all the games they already carry.

Or you could just have half of those 30 with the perepherial and half without. Don't they do this with GH?

With Guitar Hero they carry both. Stores like Walmart/Target keep the bundles at the bottom as they can just stack them while the stand alone game goes in it's own shelf area.

I have never seen a store carry GHIII/Aerosmith standalone and not carry the bundle as well or vise versa.

If some have them and some don't, now your talking about someone needing to either

A. Purchase a game they don't want so they get one added in.

B. Buying the game they want but if they don't have the bundle pack they now pay more than the bundle price because they need to buy the accessory seperately.

This is something Nintendo should have had from the start.

Currently playing:

Soriku said:
DKII said:
steven787 said:
Another issue with packing it in with more than just WSR is shelf space, retailers are already struggling with three consoles, three rockbands, 25 guitar heroes, 2 portables, 3 versions of DDR, WiiPlay, Wiifit (Ok, not really taking up shelf space:P )etc.

So true. If they bundle it with some massive selling games (the "Wii" games, some good hardcore games...) then it could sell like hot cakes. I expect it to be in the $10-$20 range separately anyway so it's not like it's really expensive. Once more and more devs make good use of it then I don't think most people will resist.

A Wii wheel which is only plastic costs $15, how could this cost less?

Also, even if a game is "massive selling", will it sell 40-50M to cover all those who already own a Wii? Let alone would all the current owners even want this said game?

No matter how you look at it, if this becomes standard, it will be without a doubt a forced purchase on millions of current owners. Then remember, you will still need 1-3 more. So that is even more forced purchases.

If multiple games come with it packed in, you still have the over abundance issue and no resale value.

This is the same as people looking back and saying an X-mote or Sony Wiimote would be a great idea because if devs make good use of it people will buy it up, which we know it won't.

Currently playing:

There is no evidence to support that the Balance Board will be bundled with any other game than Wii Fit.

There is no need for the simple reason that Nintendo has decreed no game shall require its purchase, even if it is a "Balance Board enhanced" game. But all titles using the Balance Board, MUST have standard Wii Remote controls.

Sounds lame, but considering people have been playing skateboarding and snowboarding games (the most obvious uses for the Balance Board) for two generations on a control pad, it's not a big deal. The Balance Board simply adds a new element of game play.

MotionPlus is a different situation as Nintendo has decreed that games MAY be made that require its use.

Anyone with the mindset for game design should be able to see that making a game that relies upon 1:1 controls provided by a 2 axis accelerometer controller (MotionPlus) cannot so easily be simplified to function with a standard single accelerometer controller.

The standard remote has no way to measure depth without using the IR camera/IR light array. Meaning, if it's not pointed at the IR lights sitting on top of your TV, it can't translate your position (more accurately, your remote's position) into on screen depth. It can only measure changes in velocity, not position.

So yes, there will be games that cannot be played without the MotionPlus attachment.

With any luck, they'll actually take full advantage of the additional design benefits it provides.

It's not a big deal since most people will be buying Wii Sports Resort anyway, same as they bought Wii Play.

The only problem comes when multiple MotionPlus peripherals are needed, which is why Nintendo should (if they don't already have one in the works) make a MotionPlus enabled standard remote.

I have another problem with this pack in with WiiSports.

I feel having a semi-required peripheral packed in exclusively with a first party game continues to be a little unfair to third parties. Nintendo can do what ever they want, it's their console, their dongle, their game but I think it hurts the long term strategy.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Euphoria14 said:
Soriku said:
DKII said:
steven787 said:

So true. If they bundle it with some massive selling games (the "Wii" games, some good hardcore games...) then it could sell like hot cakes. I expect it to be in the $10-$20 range separately anyway so it's not like it's really expensive. Once more and more devs make good use of it then I don't think most people will resist.

A Wii wheel which is only plastic costs $15, how could this cost less?

Also, even if a game is "massive selling", will it sell 40-50M to cover all those who already own a Wii? Let alone would all the current owners even want this said game?

No matter how you look at it, if this becomes standard, it will be without a doubt a forced purchase on millions of current owners. Then remember, you will still need 1-3 more. So that is even more forced purchases.

If multiple games come with it packed in, you still have the over abundance issue and no resale value.

This is the same as people looking back and saying an X-mote or Sony Wiimote would be a great idea because if devs make good use of it people will buy it up, which we know it won't.

A Wii wheel costs $10 at Walmart.  I was just there today.

I would guess $20 for Motion Plus.  Maybe a pack in with Wiimotes and/or Wiis if we are (really really) lucky.

@OP:

There's no way this is going to be standard, but there are definitely games that would benefit greatly from this add on.  Star Wars: The Clone Wars is one of them.  It's a lightsaber duel game for those who don't know.  I wonder what is going to happen to this game.  From what I hear, developers had no clue that this was in the works.  We could see this game delayed to support Motion Plus.

Personally, I want to see as many games as possible use this.  I think it's going to be great.

I foresee most games having a mode that supports Motion Plus if it is detected, and a mode for a regular Wiimote.  There will be a few games that require Motion Plus though.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)