By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII: An overview of sales

I notice you used the FF12 sales in your analysis.

Lately we've been hearing about how FF13 sales will be far more than FF12 because "the first FF on a new system always sells the most" or something like that.

FF7 and FF10 both sold over half their copies outside of Japan. Combine that with all the other JRPG news on the 360 and I have to agree with starcraft and say you're trying to spin this and lessen the blow.

Around the Network

The worst thing is that XIII will not be avaliable simultaneously worldwide, well apart from PS3's sales in Japan will be dramatically decreased...

DMeisterJ said:
starcraft said:
The damage control is strong with this one.

I suppose so.

Or the realism... You be the judge.

I vote "damage control." The PS3 version will probably outsell the 360 one, but I'm pretty sure this prevents at least a few PS3 sales later on.

DMeisterJ said:
Let's be honest.

Anyone who tries to put this announcement into perspective is going to be labeled as doing "damage control".

I'm not saying keep your PS3 and don't buy a 360, as a matter of fact, I will probably end up buying this for my 360 just for the acheivements, and am not too sure if I want to buy a PS3 now. I'm simply trying to rationalize all the crazies saying that the PS3 is dead.

I don't think the PS3 is dead, far from it.

This just puts a very large dent in the console's plan for reaching second place anytime soon.

I'm still just gobsmacked.  I always thought MGS4 would go multiplatform, but not this.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Shameless said:

Do I live in Japan? No. Do I want my PS3 right now? No.

There's no possible way to damage control this announcement. It's like Sony turning round and saying they have Halo 4 or something.

Exactly.

Wii code: 4679-4491-5808-6319,MKWii: 4296-3394-2843; Animal Crossing Wii: 3008-1736-4670.

Around the Network
papflesje said:
@ DJ: may be so, but still, no matter how you turn this, this is a knife right into the heart of Sony.

Oh, I'm not doubting that.

I'm also not an analyst or anything like that.  I'm simply putting all of this into perspective.

@ starcraft

I don't think I'm taking a "glass half-full" approach for sony, or damage controlling, or "spinning (you're the king of that)".  I took data from the last game of the franchise, on a larger install base, and applied it to a game on a much smaller install base, launching on a console that has a bigger install base in the country where the game has sold the most at.  I call it facts.

Skeeuk said:
well if its now in development for 360 i wonder when it will be released? i was hoping for early next year feb-march, but i doubt that now

Forgot it man, unlike MS Sony can't even secure timed exclusives let alone full exclusive games.

FF12 only sold 5 million copies? Huh. I thought it sold more like 7.

Go figure.

I actually think the PS3 version will probably sell more--would even if it released simultaneously in Japan. But the fact that I've already seen a few people on here who would have bought a PS3 solely for the game and are now sticking with their 360 is telling.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Anyone saying this will kill Sony is being reidculous. Sony will still probably take second place in the "console wars".

This is just a huge blow to not only Sony but to people that were going to or already had bought a PS3 for FF XIII. Anyone with any length of time here knows we have quite a few posters that have or were going to do just that. FF XIII was one of the only reasons people were saying 360 didn't have a complete lock on JRPGs, because only FF XIII mattered to them. Not to mention it's the last big third party exclusive Sony has, while Microsoft is still scooping exclusives up left and right. Regardless of how this happened, whether it be money exchanging hands or a change of heart at Square Enix, there is now one less reason for someone to consider a PS3 over a 360. Netflix didn't help Sony's cause either though. Personally I'm more psyched about that, than FF XIII.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.