By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII: An overview of sales

Soriku said:
But E3 is mostly a Western event...MS likely did it for a bigger Western userbase too.

It's going to sell better on the PS3 in Japan...but that doesn't mean it won't haev an impact on the 360 as well.

Oh, of course it will have an impact on 360.  I don't think I said it wouldn't in the O.P.

Around the Network

Actually, FFXIII not coming to Japan at all. Link

So still very good for Sony in the country where this game matters the most.

Microsoft did good in getting this, but for only US and EU is not that great. They're already pretty strong in the U.S., and their EU presence is still not as strong as PS3s. It would have helped to have exclusivity, but the Multi-plat release of this game isn't going to be as colossal as exclusivity would have been.

DMeisterJ said:

Okay everyone.  HUGE MEGATON ANNOUNCEMENT, FFXIII IS COMING TO THE 360 AS WELL AS THE PS3.  Okay, now that that's out of the way, let's break it down somewhat. 

Square Enix states that Final Fantasy XIII is launching day and date with the PS3 version in (get this) North america, and Europe.  No mention of Japan.  Which leads to my next point.  PS3 will have timed exclusivity of Final Fantasy XIII in Japan. What this means is that the country in which this really matters in terms of sales, Japan, will have the PS3 as the sole console to play this game on for a period of time.  Let's take a look at sales for Final Fantasy XII which launched on the PS2 with a much bigger install base than that of the PS3 and 360 combined:

Five million copies sold.

Where were the most sold?  Japan.  Half of the copies sold were sold in the land of the rising sun.  And the fact that it doesn't look like there might even be a release of the game in Japan, and if so, it's coming out after the PS3 version, really isn't working in Microsoft's favor.  FFXII sold less than a million in "others" which will also likely be won by the PS3 (see GTA IV), and two million in the U.S., which, by the time this game launches in the U.S. (provided the game comes out in late 09 in Japan, which would mean a mid-late 2010 release in the Americas), the PS3 should and will be a hell of a lot close to the 360 in America, which could essentially split the numbers of the game in half.

So to recap, PS3 has exclusivity (timed or not) of this game in Japan, and has the sales locked up for Others, and more than likely, America.  This is a really big coup for the 360 in terms of games, but not in terms of sales. 

That is all.

Discuss ^_^

thanks for trying to make me feel better, but it wont do any good, we're screwed unless sony shows something new on par with ff.

Now ff will turn into an ea franchise like fifa, and will probably start to suck big time.

startcraft: from what i recall you said you werent interested in final fantasy 13 only versus. So aside from a sale perpective you got no reason to be happy.

BREAKING BREAKING:

According to Kotaku's liveblog of Square Enix's conference, FFXIII will most likely not be released on 360 in Japan. In addition, FF Versus XIII has been confirmed to not be multi platform.

http://kotaku.com/5025033/liveblogging-square-enix-press-conference

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

masterb8tr said:

startcraft: from what i recall you said you werent interested in final fantasy 13 only versus. So aside from a sale perpective you got no reason to be happy.

Duh.

Everone is happy for a game when it's on their console of choice.

Around the Network
jman8 said:

BREAKING BREAKING:

According to Kotaku's liveblog of Square Enix's conference, FFXIII will most likely not be released on 360 in Japan. In addition, FF Versus XIII has been confirmed to not be multi platform.

So versus XIII is still exclusive, and XIII isn't coming out in Final Fantasy's biggest market.

masterb8tr said:

And rather than trying to make me look like a liar, you could pop you're head into a couple of other threads where I've said about three times in the last hour that this only means anything to me if Versus follows suit, otherwise I still need a PS3.

As this thread is about SALES, that is what I stuck too.

OT:

DMeisterJ, I think SE has simply done what makes good business sense.  Noone paid them anything.  It's not affordable not to make the game multiplatform in the West, and financially irresponsible to port a Japanese localization. 

I've been paying out Microsoft's inability to keep secrets all week, but this is huge.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

DMJ....this is damage control, thinly veiled. The game wouldn't sell in Japan if it was released on the 360 anyway. The only thing your saying is, "Well it won't sell well on the 360 anyway."

A lot of PS3 owners bought the console for FFXIII.

The loss of it as an exclusive to a system with an already superior library is devistating. There is no getting around that, even if it just sold one copy.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

i give up. thank you SOny.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
DMeisterJ said:
jman8 said:

BREAKING BREAKING:

So versus XIII is still exclusive, and XIII isn't coming out in Final Fantasy's biggest market.

It's interesting to note that in the early trailers for both of these games, the FF Versus XIII trailers always emphasized PS3 exclusivity much more than the FFXIII trailers. In Kotaku's liveblog, Square also said that FFXIII on 360 is a recent development. Putting two and two together, it sounds like Sony secured FF Versus XIII exclusivity very early on, but didn't persue FFXIII as hard. This is most likely because FF Versus XIII exclusivity would cost much less for exclusivity simply b/c it isn't a mainline game. It seems like Sony has been planning for this day for ages. In other words, they never thought that they could conceivably secure FFXIII exclusivity so they made sure they got something else. This also jives with their supposed Rockstar relationship in which they let GTA go multiplatform and instead secured some new IPs (even though we have yet to actually see those IPs).

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.