By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII: An overview of sales

Final Fantasy sales on PS platforms (main series) ~ 41 million

Gran Turismo sales on PS flatforms ~ 52 million

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

DMJ....this is damage control, thinly veiled. The game wouldn't sell in Japan if it was released on the 360 anyway. The only thing your saying is, "Well it won't sell well on the 360 anyway."

A lot of PS3 owners bought the console for FFXIII.

The loss of it as an exclusive to a system with an already superior library is devistating. There is no getting around that, even if it just sold one copy.

Seems like you're doing more anti-damage control than necessary.

The people who bought their PS3s for FFXIII will still get it.

The PS3 version will outsell the 360 version (and fit on 1 disc).

All in all, this is better for Squeenix than anyone else involved. ^_^

Fine, lol, I'll stay off this topic out of respect for you and DMJ. I'm not trying to ruin anyones points that are my friends.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

TheBigFatJ said:

This is huge for the 360. Fact. The two biggest franchises for the Playstation family were Grand Theft Auto and Final Fantasy. Microsoft has those. Now Microsoft needs to work on the smaller stuff like Metal Gear Solid.

I guess the 360 is now the undisputed king of JRPGs this generation.  The Playstation has nothing good that the 360 doesn't have, and the 360 has all kinds of good JRPGs that the PS3 doesn't have.

I can't think of a single good JRPG on the 360.  In fact the only good JRPG of the past few years is a PS2 game, the second good one is forthcoming and also a PS2 game (Persona 3 and 4).  Blue Dragon was beyond awful and Lost Odyssey was painful to watch.  Maybe I'm just spoiled by Final Fantasy and Mass Effect but man was Lost Odyssey's movement, pacing and voice acting stilted.  The only game that was any good on the 360 is Eternal Sonata, and its coming to the PS3. 

Seriously though, if you are a JRPG fan and haven't tried Persona 3 FES go get it, now. 

I bet FFXIII will be good and it may or may not be a bad thing the 360 gets it.  For me it comes down to quality more then anything else.  99.9% of multiplatform games have been dramaticly inferior to pure PS3 games because of the 360 restrictions (file size, power, game design ect).  Look at a few PS3 only games like MGS4 or Uncharted relative to games like DMC4 that are multi platform.  The PS3 only games are incredibly better because they're not forced to limit scope, freedom and other aspects of gameplay to what the inferior 360 hardware can handle.  As long as we get the same incredible FFXIII we've been promised on the PS3 I don't really care too much that its on the 360. The 360 is still a crap system that fails both literally (RROD) and metaphorically.  The PS3 also has WAY more exclusives then the 360 if you know how to turn on a PC.

I was way more interested in Versus anyway, it looks a lot more like my favorite Square series of all time, Parasite Eve.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

DMeisterJ said:
Final Fantasy sales on PS platforms (main series) ~ 41 million

Gran Turismo sales on PS flatforms ~ 52 million

That's a shame, because Forza is a lot better than Gran Turismo.  I mean, if you like simulation it's not even close -- Gran Turismo doesn't have even 1/2 of the physics engine Forza does.  Fact.

Hell, without updating 360 times per second (GT 5 Prologue updates the physics 1/6th of that rate), you cannot properly take suspension into account.  How can you have a simulation game without being able to accurately calculate the effects of suspension?

It's too bad Forza isn't as sexy, because it's hands-down a better sim game.  You'll find people who will say that Gran Turismo is better than Forza, but then again, you'd find people who'd argue a factory mustang is better than a skyline too.  And they probably have never driven the skyline.

I know for sure it will sell more on Ps3. I just wish that SONY would start paying for exclusives. MS is doing major damage to SONY with their money!

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
Impulsivity said:
TheBigFatJ said:

This is huge for the 360. Fact. The two biggest franchises for the Playstation family were Grand Theft Auto and Final Fantasy. Microsoft has those. Now Microsoft needs to work on the smaller stuff like Metal Gear Solid.

I guess the 360 is now the undisputed king of JRPGs this generation. The Playstation has nothing good that the 360 doesn't have, and the 360 has all kinds of good JRPGs that the PS3 doesn't have.

I can't think of a single good JRPG on the 360. In fact the only good JRPG of the past few years is a PS2 game, the second good one is forthcoming and also a PS2 game (Persona 3 and 4). Blue Dragon was beyond awful and Lost Odyssey was painful to watch. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Final Fantasy and Mass Effect but man was Lost Odyssey's movement, pacing and voice acting stilted. The only game that was any good on the 360 is Eternal Sonata, and its coming to the PS3.

Seriously though, if you are a JRPG fan and haven't tried Persona 3 FES go get it, now.

I bet FFXIII will be good and it may or may not be a bad thing the 360 gets it. For me it comes down to quality more then anything else. 99.9% of multiplatform games have been dramaticly inferior to pure PS3 games because of the 360 restrictions (file size, power, game design ect). Look at a few PS3 only games like MGS4 or Uncharted relative to games like DMC4 that are multi platform. The PS3 only games are incredibly better because they're not forced to limit scope, freedom and other aspects of gameplay to what the inferior 360 hardware can handle. As long as we get the same incredible FFXIII we've been promised on the PS3 I don't really care too much that its on the 360. The 360 is still a crap system that fails both literally (RROD) and metaphorically. The PS3 also has WAY more exclusives then the 360 if you know how to turn on a PC.

I was way more interested in Versus anyway, it looks a lot more like my favorite Square series of all time, Parasite Eve.

I agree that Persona 3 was great, but you continue to astound me with your posts. I'm reporting this, it really is that bad.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

My prediction (i've based mine more on a FFX model, which sold 8 Million)

I say 2.35 Million for PS3 in Japan

1.35 Million in EU for PS3
800k in EU for 360

1.55 Million in America for 360
1.15 M for in America for PS3

= 4.85M for PS3 and 2.35 Million for 360 = 7.2 Million Total

It will cause a significant console boost in Japan

A good sized console boost in EU for the PS3 and ok boost for the 360

It will caused a solid boost for both the 360 and PS3, but a little bit more so for the PS3.

Impulsivity said:
TheBigFatJ said:

I guess the 360 is now the undisputed king of JRPGs this generation.  The Playstation has nothing good that the 360 doesn't have, and the 360 has all kinds of good JRPGs that the PS3 doesn't have.

I can't think of a single good JRPG on the 360.  In fact the only good JRPG of the past few years is a PS2 game, the second good one is forthcoming and also a PS2 game (Persona 3 and 4).  Blue Dragon was beyond awful and Lost Odyssey was painful to watch.  Maybe I'm just spoiled by Final Fantasy and Mass Effect but man was Lost Odyssey's movement, pacing and voice acting stilted.  The only game that was any good on the 360 is Eternal Sonata, and its coming to the PS3. 

I bet FFXIII will be good and it may or may not be a bad thing the 360 gets it.  For me it comes down to quality more then anything else.  99.9% of multiplatform games have been dramaticly inferior to pure PS3 games because of the 360 restrictions (file size, power, game design ect).  Look at a few PS3 only games like MGS4 or Uncharted relative to games like DMC4 that are multi platform.  The PS3 only games are incredibly better because they're not forced to limit scope, freedom and other aspects of gameplay to what the inferior 360 hardware can handle.  As long as we get the same incredible FFXIII we've been promised on the PS3 I don't really care too much that its on the 360. The 360 is still a crap system that fails both literally (RROD) and metaphorically.  The PS3 also has WAY more exclusives then the 360 if you know how to turn on a PC.

We don't need this flamebait and frankly checking your post history it seems this is a trend today for you.

To Each Man, Responsibility

Look at me damage controlling this thread.

I'm so foolish.

This is a big deal. Sorry about my spinning.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=33284&start=0

Locked as per author request.