By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Too many fpses?

Does anybody else feel that the fps market is overcrowed. I would love to see some more adventure games ,rpgs, horror, tpses, platformers and action games etc, but every developer is making fpses. Most of them aren't even good, or just complete rip-offs of eachother. So what is your opinion?

Around the Network

Most genre's have their time in the light, and during that time they get abused like crazy. Platformers, RPG's, Fighting games, etc.

FPS doesn't seem to be running the course though (the "fad" seems to be lasting a lot longer), but the bubble has to pop some time..

I'm just sick of FPS being considered the pinnacle of gaming. Whether or not people outright say it, it's apparent in gaming articles and when the new big FPS game comes out on your console.

i think there is too many of them too, its the most popular genre but i think fps has hit its peak last year

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

Not really. Before the FPS storm, whatever EA and first party developers made pretty much led the industry. Really, as long as shooters help third parties see profit then I'm all for them.

And yes, they seem to be crowding the American charts and blocking the way for innovation in the shooter and other varying genres. But really, developers are just going with a safe bet. I honestly did not expect Assassin's Creed to sell even half it did, but Ubisoft found a successful franchise and I commend them. With development costs much higher this generation, developers have no choice on the HD consoles but to go for something that can't help but sell, and shooters seem to be a safe bet. If developers ever get a handle on development costs (or they're lowered next generation) than we may see more risks being taken.

Don't point FPSes out, though. They're really no more prevalent than racing games or games involving washing a puppy's coat. We only notice them so much because they're so high in the charts, as is the intention of the companies developing them.

Not to bad but soon it will get over powering takeing down games that should shine like Okami(which I love allready) and other games like that...

Former something....

Around the Network
sc94597 said:

Does anybody else feel that the fps market is overcrowed. I would love to see some more adventure games ,rpgs, horror, tpses, platformers and action games etc, but every developer is making fpses. Most of them aren't even good, or just complete rip-offs of eachother. So what is your opinion?

Strange thread coming from someone with an MP signature.

yeah there are to many,i dont mind getting good ones,but they also release alot of bad ones and i mean alot of them

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Shameless said:
sc94597 said:

Strange thread coming from someone with an MP signature.

Lol How many times do I have to tell people. Metroid Prime is an adventure game. Even if it was an FPS that doesn't mean I like them being whored from everywhere.

From a business perspective maybe but i'm assuming you don't make a penny from any FPS's sales , more FPS's will generaly mean the standard has to be set higher every time a new one is released otherwise the game will face abysmal sales Haze to cite an example.

We have more choice , we're not overwhemed by the choices of FPS's , I've never heard of any one complaing about there being too many products for them to choose between , choice for the consumer is always a good thing.

sc94597 said:

I sort of agree. But it's the consumers fault, because FPSs sell.

Personally I think it's very annoying that so much resources are spent on just FPS games. I really like FPS and most of my all time favorites are FPS, but we simply don't need so many of them. Meanwhile those other genres you named hardly gets any games at all. No big budget adventure games are made, only a couple of horror games and not enuff W-RPGs.

I wish there was more first person RPGs made. The best genre, hands down.