By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Million said:
sc94597 said:
Million said:
From a business perspective maybe but i'm assuming you don't make a penny from any FPS's sales , more FPS's will generaly mean the standard has to be set higher every time a new one is released otherwise the game will face abysmal sales Haze to cite an example.

We have more choice , we're not overwhemed by the choices of FPS's , I've never heard of any one complaing about there being too many products for them to choose between , choice for the consumer is always a good thing.

Well too many developers focus more on makin fps, and other genres feel neglected. Like the adventure game. When was the last good adventure game? I would think either okami or TP.

Well developers are only responding to demand , it would be illogical to say there are too many FPS's if FPS titles consistently sell well it would be like me saying "the sports clothing market is overcrowded" if other genres are getting neglected it's only because there isn't adequet demand for them  Uncharted , R&C , Heaven Sword , GTA IV are all decent adventure games , in contrast to your opinion I think there is a wealth of decent games in most genres this generation there just happens to be much larger support for FPS's.

@SC MP is an adventure game ? looks and plays alot like an FPS.

I agree. Also I belive Heavenly Swords, and Uncharted are considered action games, R&C is considered a platformer, and GTAIV I think is an adventure game so that is the only one I missed.

Around the Network

I hate FPS, not because they are bad games but because they killed the platforming genre which I loved so much.

mM
Million said:
sc94597 said:

Well too many developers focus more on makin fps, and other genres feel neglected. Like the adventure game. When was the last good adventure game? I would think either okami or TP.

Well developers are only responding to demand , it would be illogical to say there are too many FPS's if FPS titles consistently sell well it would be like me saying "the sports clothing market is overcrowded" if other genres are getting neglected it's only because there isn't adequet demand for them  Uncharted , R&C , Heaven Sword , GTA IV are all decent adventure games , in contrast to your opinion I think there is a wealth of decent games in most genres this generation there just happens to be much larger support for FPS's.

Okami is not an Adventure game

Metroid Prime 3 is not an adventure game

Twilight Princess is not an adventure game

Uncharted is not an adventure game

Ratchet and Clank is not an adventure game

Heavenly sword is not an adventure game

GTA IV is not an adventure game

If you want to play Adventure games, then go buy them on PC or DS, there's plenty of them there.

EDIT: And learn what the Adventure genre really is.

@sc
Offtopic : doesn't really matter what label you apply to the game it's an FPS regardless , techicaly GT5 is a role playing game as well as a race since i'm playing the role of a racing car driver . MP has similar gameplay mechanics to the typical FPS.

You see what happens when you start applying labels for your own purposes ?

shio said:
Million said:
sc94597 said:
Million said:
From a business perspective maybe but i'm assuming you don't make a penny from any FPS's sales , more FPS's will generaly mean the standard has to be set higher every time a new one is released otherwise the game will face abysmal sales Haze to cite an example.

We have more choice , we're not overwhemed by the choices of FPS's , I've never heard of any one complaing about there being too many products for them to choose between , choice for the consumer is always a good thing.

If you want to play Adventure games, then go buy them on PC or DS, there's plenty of them there.

LOL? I think you are confusing point and click adventure with the full adventure genre.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
I hate FPS, not because they are bad games but because they killed the platforming genre which I loved so much.

Mario has been keeping it alive for the past years and there is a new hope with B&K and LBP coming out!

Former something....

Million said:
@sc
Offtopic : doesn't really matter what label you apply to the game it's an FPS regardless , techicaly GT5 is a role playing game as well as a race since i'm playing the role of a racing car driver . MP has similar gameplay mechanics to the typical FPS.

You see what happens when you start applying labels for your own purposes ?

Yes, but it even has more similar gameplay mechanics to an adventure game. Such as boos fights, open world/worlds, back tracking, upgrades and powerups instead of switching weapons, puzzles, etc. Far more adventure than fps.

sc94597 said:
shio said:
Million said:
sc94597 said:

LOL? I think you are confusing point and click adventure with the full adventure genre.

I think you are confusing Action-adventure with Adventure. Okami and Zelda are definitely NOT Adventure games.

shio said:
sc94597 said:

I think you are confusing Action-adventure with Adventure. Okami and Zelda are definitely NOT Adventure games.

From wikipedia

"An adventure game is a type of computer entertainment program or video game, characterized by investigation, exploration, puzzle-solving, interaction with game characters, and a focus on narrative rather than reflex-based challenges"

I believe twilight princess  metroid prime 3 and okami have those requierements. Anyway these are really sub-genres of the adventure genres. It still and adventure game, but its also an action adventure. Just like there are wrpgs and jrpgs.

Edit:

Also here is more " Games that fuse adventure elements with action gameplay elements are sometimes referred to as adventure games (a popular example is Nintendo's Legend of Zelda series)."

there aren't enough goo FPS games.

Like the good ones that come to mind are Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, Bioshock, Resistance, Half Life 2, Tom Clancys Rainbow Six Vegas and Ghost Recon. Of course i missed a couple, but thats not a ton.