By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Million said:
From a business perspective maybe but i'm assuming you don't make a penny from any FPS's sales , more FPS's will generaly mean the standard has to be set higher every time a new one is released otherwise the game will face abysmal sales Haze to cite an example.

We have more choice , we're not overwhemed by the choices of FPS's , I've never heard of any one complaing about there being too many products for them to choose between , choice for the consumer is always a good thing.

Well too many developers focus more on makin fps, and other genres feel neglected. Like the adventure game. When was the last good adventure game? I would think either mp3,okami or TP.Depending on your taste.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Million said:
From a business perspective maybe but i'm assuming you don't make a penny from any FPS's sales , more FPS's will generaly mean the standard has to be set higher every time a new one is released otherwise the game will face abysmal sales Haze to cite an example.

We have more choice , we're not overwhemed by the choices of FPS's , I've never heard of any one complaing about there being too many products for them to choose between , choice for the consumer is always a good thing.

Well too many developers focus more on makin fps, and other genres feel neglected. Like the adventure game. When was the last good adventure game? I would think either mp3,okami or TP.Depending on your taste.

Except the only one of those games made by a third party was Okami, and we all know that it was, sadly, a failure. Capcom made this very open. Would you rather have a high budget adventure game that can sell decently with a massive amount of hype, or a high budget shooter that can sell gangbusters with the same massive hunk of hype?

sc94597 said:
Shameless said:
sc94597 said:

Does anybody else feel that the fps market is overcrowed. I would love to see some more adventure games ,rpgs, horror, tpses, platformers and action games etc, but every developer is making fpses. Most of them aren't even good, or just complete rip-offs of eachother. So what is your opinion?

Strange thread coming from someone with an MP signature.

Lol How many times do I have to tell people. Metroid Prime is an adventure game. Even if it was an FPS that doesn't mean I like them being whored from everywhere.

I guess you'd class Half Life 2 as a racing game too.

sc94597 said:
Million said:

Well too many developers focus more on makin fps, and other genres feel neglected. Like the adventure game. When was the last good adventure game? I would think either okami or TP.

Well developers are only responding to demand , it would be illogical to say there are too many FPS's if FPS titles consistently sell well it would be like me saying "the sports clothing market is overcrowded" if other genres are getting neglected it's only because there isn't adequet demand for them  Uncharted , R&C , Heaven Sword , GTA IV are all decent adventure games , in contrast to your opinion I think there is a wealth of decent games in most genres this generation there just happens to be much larger support for FPS's.

@SC MP is an adventure game ? looks and plays alot like an FPS.

Yes, there's too many, but people buy them. I feel there should be more games that do not involve shooting with guns at all.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
sc94597 said:
Million said:

Except the only one of those games made by a third party was Okami, and we all know that it was, sadly, a failure. Capcom made this very open. Would you rather have a high budget adventure game that can sell decently with a massive amount of hype, or a high budget shooter that can sell gangbusters with the same massive hunk of hype?

I guess I agree there. I just ho[e that something happends so people stop buying fpses so much and other genres could have a chance to florish more.

sc94597 said:

Does anybody else feel that the fps market is overcrowed. I would love to see some more adventure games ,rpgs, horror, tpses, platformers and action games etc, but every developer is making fpses. Most of them aren't even good, or just complete rip-offs of eachother. So what is your opinion?

It certainly is, I've beaten like 10 of em on the 360 in the last month. Luckily overcrowding seems to have made the games themselves quite excellent and uniform.

Bioshock

CoD4

Halo 3

FEAR

Half Life 2

Portal

The Darkness

Prey

All of those games are quite excellent in their own way.

I'm not big on FPS, but if you could give me 8 more games of that quality or better, then I'd be a happy camper, FPS or whatever.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Slimebeast said:
sc94597 said:

I sort of agree. But it's the consumers fault, because FPSs sell.

Personally I think it's very annoying that so much resources are spent on just FPS games. I really like FPS and most of my all time favorites are FPS, but we simply don't need so many of them. Meanwhile those other genres you named hardly gets any games at all. No big budget adventure games are made, only a couple of horror games and not enuff W-RPGs.

I wish there was more first person RPGs made. The best genre, hands down.

I don't know why, but I aboslutely despise first person RPG's.

I don't mind shooters being the 'right now' genre. They're easy to pick up and learn, simple multiplayer and a blast to play with friends. While they're far from my favourite genre, I really enjoy that many of my friends are into the genre so that is often easy to get a game going.

As long as there are plenty of other games to choose from, I'm fine with it.

Nintendo already said the metroid prime series was a first person adventure, and here are some other points why it's an adventure game.
http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=30351

@Million: Yes it is, it has an open world, where there's a lot of backtracking needed, has puzzles and epic bosses. And your character keeps on getting upgrades scattered around the world. At the same times controls in FP view but not all you do is shoot.

Is Oblivion a FPS?

FPS are more linear, and require almost no exploration as the game is divided into levels rather than a big open world.

MP is more similar to Zelda than CoD4 for example.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies