By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tyler B fears Nintendo Wii will dilute PS3, Xbox360 quality

SSMB:B? hehe.

Super Smash Mothers Brawl: ...Bitchin!

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

How dare Nintendo expand the market to encompass different age groups and females, I want my games to only appeal to the 14-25 year old males and narrow the appeal of the market to the point of becomming a second PC gaming industry.

Gballzack said:
How dare Nintendo expand the market to encompass different age groups and females, I want my games to only appeal to the 14-25 year old males and narrow the appeal of the market to the point of becomming a second PC gaming industry.

Obviously you just don't appreciate the diversity and innovation of such releases as Virtua Fighter 5, Final Fantasy XIII, Hot Shots Golf 5, Gran Turismo 5, Metal Gear Solid 4, Tekken 6 and Devil May Cry 4. Rainbow Six? SOCOM? Grand Theft Auto? Ratchet & Clank? God of War? I'm sure they'll just stop innovating and making those games, too.

It's sad, because they all offer such unique game play experiences we've never seen before!

/sarcasm 

Dryden said:
Gballzack said:

Obviously you just don't appreciate the diversity and innovation of such releases as Virtua Fighter 5, Final Fantasy XIII, Hot Shots Golf 5, Gran Turismo 5, Metal Gear Solid 4, Tekken 6 and Devil May Cry 4. Rainbow Six? SOCOM? Grand Theft Auto? Ratchet & Clank? God of War? I'm sure they'll just stop innovating and making those games, too.

It's sad, because they all offer such unique game play experiences we've never seen before!

/sarcasm

Well, you're right about the never seen part...

Gballzack said:

You brought something to my attention. One problem with the PC gaming sector is that it isn't as popular as console games.  The games are a lot more complicated. A LOT. They just don't appel to the casual players.

The problem with the man's idea of a videogame world is hardcore only. This is far from profitable. Most of the people who buy s console are casual players. Thats how the PS2 got to 100million. Without them, it wouldn't be a surprise it never would break 50million.

Around the Network

I can see where he's going with the article.  Of course, different people have different opinions and the market will go with the majority.  That's business.

I certainly wouldn't fit in the 'Wii Mainstream' as I'm not that impressed with the games it has produced.  I originally had planned on buying a Wii, but now I don't see any reason to.  Don't get me wrong, I love playing Wii Sports and WarioWare with a group of friends.  The Wii's a great social gaming platform and I applaud the Wii for that.  However, if I want to really play a game, if I want to sit down and play a game for an hour, the Wii doesn't have anything extra to offer.  Yes, the Wii has Zelda: Twilight Princess, but that's the only game off the top of my head that I would want to play.

It's my opinion that games have been dumbed down over the years.  Games seem to have gotten easier and game storylines, the pinnacle for RPGs of old,  have been deluded into the beautifully rendered background (obviously I'm not jabbing the Wii for this).  I attribute this to the market.  The market allowed this to happen.  I don't see the games being made for the Wii as that innovative (I'm not talking about how you play the game, but the game itself).  The controller seems to be more of a gimic than anything else designed primarily for party games.

The thing I like about ssj12 is that first he says we look all retarded playing the Wii, with all the moving our hands about stuff, that this is totally not worth the time and energy, just to move on to say PSeye is the future like two posts bellow.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
ckmlb said:

A better argument would be after making garbage commercial movies, big movie companies rarely make deep movies and this is very very true. Be they targetted towards men or women, movies are generally a crapfest with big name actors attached to them...

...which is why ticket sales have been in a steady decline for years.

There ARE good movies being made, but generally by independent movie companies who never get a chance to shine outside the Sundance Film Festival.

Movie distribution is basically a cartel: it's either their way or the highway, and if you don't want your movie to be commercialized garbage, it's the highway.

The movie industry is an excellent example of an industry that is cannibalizing itself from the inside out. Lured by the prospect of quick cash-ins, Hollywood prefers to make garbage because it's cheaper, easier and they still make money.

They've forgotten the fact that they'll make infinitely MORE money if they actually make a movie good and give it a chance to sequel a few times.

The same is gradually coming to pass in the gaming industry: devs will go for the quick cash-ins instead of taking the time to make great games if people buy the cash-ins at the same amount they buy the great games.

But blaming Nintendo for this is just ridiculous. The industry WAS stagnating before the Wii came along. It was either expand the market or it becomes a niche and then everyone makes less money across the board. 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Smash_Brother said:
ckmlb said:

A better argument would be after making garbage commercial movies, big movie companies rarely make deep movies and this is very very true. Be they targetted towards men or women, movies are generally a crapfest with big name actors attached to them...

...which is why ticket sales have been in a steady decline for years.

There ARE good movies being made, but generally by independent movie companies who never get a chance to shine outside the Sundance Film Festival.

Movie distribution is basically a cartel: it's either their way or the highway, and if you don't want your movie to be commercialized garbage, it's the highway.

The movie industry is an excellent example of an industry that is cannibalizing itself from the inside out. Lured by the prospect of quick cash-ins, Hollywood prefers to make garbage because it's cheaper, easier and they still make money.

They've forgotten the fact that they'll make infinitely MORE money if they actually make a movie good and give it a chance to sequel a few times.

The same is gradually coming to pass in the gaming industry: devs will go for the quick cash-ins instead of taking the time to make great games if people buy the cash-ins at the same amount they buy the great games.

But blaming Nintendo for this is just ridiculous. The industry WAS stagnating before the Wii came along. It was either expand the market or it becomes a niche and then everyone makes less money across the board.

Actually, Smash, rather than argue the point, I'd just say I think Ckmlb's analogy is totally off. I support the Wii precisely because I believe that it moves us more towards those "deeper" movies, and away from the garbage commercial movies.

Garbage commercial movies are high budget action flicks, usually specifically bent towards 15-25 year old males. PS3 and 360 are about high budget action games, usually specifically bent towards 15-25 year old males. Independant movies target adults and have much lower budgets. The Wii games have lower budgets and much more frequently target adults.

Ckmlb, it sounds like we want the same thing, but see this going different routes. Gears of War, God of War, Metal Gear Solid: these are akin to the action movies of our time -- lots of violence, big budgets, big graphics and special effects, and killing, killing killing the whole way through. These are games that are clearly aimed at young boys. The Wii is targetting adults and women, and using lower budgets to do it. We need more games like The Sims and Cooking Mama if we are ever going to see the target audience of independant films -- well educated adults -- and we need to get away from games like Gears of War, that are built around violence and space alien invasions.

So again, Ckmlb, I totally agree that I want adults to play video games too. I want to capture that "independant film" market. And guess what? Metal Gear, Gears of War etc. clearly are not doing it. Metal Gear Solid IS that garbage, big budget film in your analogy (a good one like Spider Man 1/2, but still just an action movie). The Wii is being hailed precisely because it captures that adult market. If you want to know why I seem to favor the Wii, it's because I can see myself playing it when I'm 35, and I can't imagine playing another game where I blow up space aliens or super villains or clones for much longer. It's simply too puerile, and the dialogue too heavy handed.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Simple way to summarize my above post, Ckmlb:

You apparently seem worried that the Wii will move us more towards the "garbage big budget commercial films" and away from an "independant movie" feel, which attracts adults and educated people. But in reality it's the 360/PS3 games that have big budgets, and it's the Wii games that are attracting adults. Can you explain that? Because as it stands, I reach the opposite conclusion you do: the Wii is the independant film, and the 360/PS3 are the big budget commercial movies.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">