By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tyler B fears Nintendo Wii will dilute PS3, Xbox360 quality

I have to agree with this article. Wii means: less amazing games

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
Blue3 said:
you all are going a bit overboard with this, wii wont have that big a affect.

its hard to say if it will or wont. Taking it in the worse case, Microsoft and Sony follows Nintendo's example next gen and destroys true console gaming. 

Just to clarify my last post. I'm not meaning that the large franchises will die or anything, their gameplay mechanics might change though.  

Where are you getting this from? What the hell is "true console gaming"?

Nothing is going to die or go away. People said this about 3D gaming, that it would kill side scrolling platform games or other 2D games. But 2D games are still being created to fill in the void. It's not what it used to be, since 3D games are better for most games, but they are still there. If everyone started making compilations of mini games, then that segment will be saturated. Not everyone  makes Honda Civics, I still see Lamborghinis being made.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

mancandy said:
ssj12 said:
Blue3 said:
you all are going a bit overboard with this, wii wont have that big a affect.

its hard to say if it will or wont. Taking it in the worse case, Microsoft and Sony follows Nintendo's example next gen and destroys true console gaming.

Just to clarify my last post. I'm not meaning that the large franchises will die or anything, their gameplay mechanics might change though.

Where are you getting this from? What the hell is "true console gaming"?

Nothing is going to die or go away. People said this about 3D gaming, that it would kill side scrolling platform games or other 2D games. But 2D games are still being created to fill in the void. It's not what it used to be, since 3D games are better for most games, but they are still there. If everyone started making compilations of mini games, then that segment will be saturated. Not everyone makes Honda Civics, I still see Lamborghinis being made.

I totally agree with Mancandy.

"True console gaming" my butt. It's trash. God of War is trash. See? I said it. That's my opinion. But my opinion isn't worth more than yours, nor is yours worth more than mine; so please don't say phrases like "true console gaming," because they're insulting. If you don't like games like Cooking Mama and WarioWare, no problem! Don't play them. But don't imply they're "fake" games. 

I wish games like Gears of War, God of War, Warhawk, Killzone, and "God of Kill War Zone of Death" would just go away. Just vanish. They're puerile. They're meant for 20 year old males with an antisocial streak, and because of games like these video games are seen as childish or even infantile by mature adults, and for the most part, they're right. At the same time, Movies and Music and Novels continue to thrive as legitimate art forms.

God of War is not getting us closer to our first Angels in America or Crime and Punishment or Crimes and Misdemeanors or New World Symphony. Cooking Mama and The Sims are. Less games for 18 year old boys, more games for mature adults, please.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Andrew said:
I have to agree with this article. Wii means: less amazing games

How about "less games you personally prefer?" 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I see what you´re saying,Bodhesatva,and I agree with your views,except that I like God Of War and Gears Of War and I´m not antisocial by any means >_>

Around the Network

To take your example Bod -

I think if there were 100 "hardcore" games above 75% last gen, there will still be 100 "hardcore" games above 75% this gen, they'll just be supplemented by the additional casual games for the new casual gamers. Hardcores will be a smaller piece but of a bigger pie so it balances out.

It could be said that Wii is in the experimental stages. Seeing which minigames people like so that they can take those minigames and expand them into full fledged games.

Here's a headline for you guys, the world doesn't revolve around you. There are other people who need their gaming itches scratched. You have had the ball for 20 years now.

DKII said:
To take your example Bod -

I think if there were 100 "hardcore" games above 75% last gen, there will still be 100 "hardcore" games above 75% this gen, they'll just be supplemented by the additional casual games for the new casual gamers. Hardcores will be a smaller piece but of a bigger pie so it balances out.

I think that's entirely possible too, DK. I just wouldn't say it's certain.

Perhaps we can agree on this: there may be slightly less high quality hardcore games this generation. Tyler B would apparently rather see video games permanently relegated to 15-25 year-old-boy status than face the remote possibility that a small fraction of his preferred games will not be released.

Personally, I'd risk the chance that (for example) 10 percent less games targetted at me will be released if it means video games becomes a venue like movies or novels or plays, instead of a venue like paintball. 

It reminds me of my most hardcore days playing Unreal Tournament. The hardcore players I competed against would whine and complain and moan about new players coming into the servers and messing up our super-elite play for super-pros. I sincerely believe that Unreal Tournament is still an also-ran to Half Life mods precisely because of this attitude (Half Life mods certainly have a share of these obnoxious l337 players too, but less, in my experience). 

JouninGarret said:
I see what you´re saying,Bodhesatva,and I agree with your views,except that I like God Of War and Gears Of War and I´m not antisocial by any means >_>

Oh that's totally cool Jounin. I'm not suggesting that everyone who plays these games is antisocial (or, for that matter, a 15-25 year old boy), I'm speaking only in generalities. Just as there are some women who watch WWE wrestling, there are some people outside the target demographic who play these games. It's just a general trend.

And my problem isn't really that these games exist. I express myself harshly to mimic the attitude of those who say Wii games aren't "real." Instead, I just wish they didn't have such a stranglehold on the video games industry. There will always be a place for 15-25 year old males' violent and brutish fantasies; all I want is for them to be a fraction of the industry, not the whole of it. More shooting and slicing and killing will only move us farther away from mainstream acceptance of video games. I'd love to consider video games the primary means of entertainment for the rest of my life, but I really don't want to be involved with an industry built entirely on the fantasies of 18 year old boys when I'm 35, adult, and more mature. 

I dont understand why those people claim they are hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers are never afraid to take new gaming experiences. I have changed my favorite game genre several times over the last decade. Back in the nes days I would only play platformers and side-scrollers. Later I got addicted to apoint and click adventures from LucasArts. When Snes came I started playing beat em ups more than any other games. Near the end of Snes I really got into RPGs (Chrono Trigger was my first experience). At N64 and playstation era I played lots of Mario 64 clones like Banjo Kazooie and Spyro. With Playstation 2 I got really open minded to game genres. From Katamari to Shin Megami Tensei I have played genres that I had no idea that they even existed. Saying that Wii will destroy the market or developers will give up making games for the old school is not only paranoic it is retarded. There are beat em ups being made even today. Their production slowed down, but that is due to the fact that they are not hot anymore, the mainstrem players are interested in other games. Consumers tastes changes, but not so fast that they totally forget about their old ones. Mortal Kombat was the shit when I was a kid, game magazines and my friends talked like it was the best game ever. Well the series is pretty much dead nowadays considering they had MK cartoons, movies and tv series in the past. They got so low they made a Mario Kart like minigame in one of the recent MK. God of War (to use bodhesatva example) may take the same route of MK one day. I am not making a prevision, I just wanna show that even games that have a cult-like trend to them may become obsolete in the future.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."