By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tyler B fears Nintendo Wii will dilute PS3, Xbox360 quality

The guy's not stupid...but I think he's worrying too much.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

Must agree with euclid, no new IP:s? Treasure Island Z (which is called something else) is my most wanted game. Wii had Red Steel for the launch. Elibites was also there for the launch. Just because he doesn't like the game it is still a new IP.

We also have Project H.A.M.M.E.R and Excite Truck (if I am alowed to call it that) from Nintendo.

And the Wii Sport is just a tech demo is BS. So far I haven't heard my friends at work talking about Lair, Motorstorm or Resistance but I have heard them talk about Wii Sport. So no Wii Sport is a game!

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

What I don't get is how new gamers playing these different games at all effect the market that still existed before and still exists now. If it's really adding to the industry then with the extra money from the new gamers devs will just add the new style of games to their current projects, and the old hardcore market won't see any change. The only way they'd be hurt is if the old hardcore gamers started buying the new casual games instead of the old style games, in which case they can't be all that bad can they?

Cliffy B is so hardcore *pffft*:

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/10/cliffyb-the-retro-gaming-god/

But really, I don't know how I would have gotten through the last 10 years without his guiding hand educating me with such immersive cinematics and the thought-provoking storytelling as what I found in ... uh ... Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal Tournament 2004, and Gears of War.

I tell you, we will all rue the day when developers find one game premise that sells, then just keep making it over and over again! Anarchy, I tell ya!!!

Um, Gears of War is pushing close to the 3M sold mark. Proof that a good game sells -- regardless of genre. Paranoia from the hardcore.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

He's right ...

After all since people started making romantic comedy movies for women they no longer make movies for young men. Just think how great movies made from comic books could be, but Alas no one would ever consider making Spiderman, Superman, XMen or Batman into movies anymore because you can simply make a romantic comedy for far less.

A better argument would be after making garbage commercial movies, big movie companies rarely make deep movies and this is very very true. Be they targetted towards men or women, movies are generally a crapfest with big name actors attached to them...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

How come all the so-called hardcore gamers are so worried for the Wii to become the market leader this gen. IMO almost all of the 20 mil ppl who bought the GC will be buying a Wii as well, and as for the 110+ mil who had bought a PS2 last gen, at least 50% of them will be thinking of getting a Wii, when/if Wii becomes the market leader, devs will follow the trend, no doubt.

guy's spouting nonsense plain and simple.

i'm a gamer. i haven't owned a console since the genesis. I'll be 41 in a few weeks, have 3 kids- one almost 6 and 2 almost 3 (ya twins). between all 3 consoles out there, I chose to get the Wii. WHY?

because the other 2 consoles just deliver the same old same old that is available on the older platforms, just with slightly higher graphics and the wii delivers something that the other 2 do not, an interactive controller that is intuitive and damn fun to use.

i do all my Serious Gaming on the best platform for computer gaming- MY Computer. and i do it at a resolution that is just short of 1080p resolution, i use a 20" widescreen monitor.

will the wii dominating this generation change hardcore gamers? Hell No.

it just means that the hardcore gamer will be even MORE the minority player in the console market.

for the wii

i have
excite truck
zelda
trauma center
sonic
and a few others i cannot name offhand

my 6yr old plays Wii sports the most with excite truck the 2nd highest played game.

There are no hardcore games, only hardcore gamers.

Sadly he's right. Wii is awesome machine that attracts alot of casual gamers. Developers are stupid if they dont put their money on casual gamers now. Why spend alot of money/time on graphic, deep story.. and on.