By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why wouldn't the Wii be able to emulate ANY Dreamcast games?

If someone could explain this to me beside not just saying "NO", I can sleep at night (j/k).

Whether you want to put it into laymens terms or start kicking out system specs, whatever. I just want to know why.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

When you emulate a console you are also using power to run the emulator. So you need many times the power of that console to emulate it. It's the same reason the ds can't emulate n64 games, and the psp did it too poorly.

sc94597 said:
When you emulate a console you are also using power to run the emulator. So you need many times the power of that console to emulate it. It's the same reason the ds can't emulate n64 games, and the psp did it too poorly.

PSP did what too poorly?

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

I don't really know too much about the whole emulating business, it's my understanding that a system needs to be SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful than the system it's trying to emulate in order for it to work without hitches. Even up to 2003-4 some PC graphics cards still had problems with some N64 games. How much the difference needs to be i'm really not sure, perhaps it is related to differences in system architecture. Wii and Gamecube works because the architecture is so similar.

SaviorX said:
sc94597 said:

PSP did what too poorly?

It emulates n64 games without sound, and at bad framerates.

Around the Network
hsrob said:
I don't really know too much about the whole emulating business, it's my understanding that a system needs to be SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful than the system it's trying to emulate in order for it to work without hitches. Even up to 2003-4 some PC graphics cards still had problems with some N64 games. How much the difference needs to be i'm really not sure, perhaps it is related to differences in system architecture. Wii and Gamecube works because the architecture is so similar.

Yes it is related to the systems architecture. The wii doesn't emulate gamecube games though because it could run in gamecube mode.

bullshit.........
yes they can, but it would cost more money so whats the point, the next vc console we will probably see is atari2600........

jeffrey9999 said:
bullshit.........
yes they can, but it would cost more money so whats the point, the next vc console we will probably see is atari2600........

What's bullshit?

yeah and I'm pretty sure knowone here knows "much about the emulation biz either" all your get out of ask a bunch of people who play video games 24/7 who don't know shit, is shit information..........

write a letter to nintendo the'll send you back I use to do it all the time........

then a person who knows what the hell there talking about will answer this gooooooooooood question...........

jeffrey9999 said:
yeah and I'm pretty sure knowone here knows "much about the emulation biz either" all your get out of ask a bunch of people who play video games 24/7 who don't know shit, is shit information..........

write a letter to nintendo the'll send you back I use to do it all the time........

then a person who knows what the hell there talking about will answer this gooooooooooood question...........

Sorry for my ignorance because  I'm automatically wrong and a big fanboy who doesn't want dreamcast games to go to the wii./sarcasm.  Tell me why am I wrong? Sure the wii will be able to emulate a dreamcast game, but very poorly. It would run at very bad framerates, and with alot of glitches.