By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why wouldn't the Wii be able to emulate ANY Dreamcast games?

Well in emulation you capture the instruction for the processor the applications is made for and try to execute similar operations on the processor you actually have.

I'll try to illustrate; when you are translate from one language to another there may not be an exact translation for an specific word( word represents an instruction in a processor) and be more accurate you can only translate the idea, but a lot more words are required to translate an idea, than to do a 1 to 1 translation( e.i. English “crazy”= “loco” in Spanish, but there is not are direct word for “readiness” in Spanish, so I need I sentence to explain the meaning to someone), taking that to processor what it mean is that there could be an instruction in one processor that perform a mathematical operation, but in the one you are emulating there may not be that instruction so you have to make a custom method, since this solution is software based and may require several iterations is slower than the solution the original hardware had built, on top of that the emulator it self eat resources from the machine you are emulation in making things worse, that is the reason you need very powerful machine to emulate a less powerful one.

The more different the architectures are the more difficult it is to emulate, and more processing power is needed, that why making an emulator for the Saturn on windows has been so difficult because the Saturn had several processors, windows is designed to work with the intel x86 architecture which is 32 bit (unless is a 64bit version) …yada yada.