By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why MGS4 deserves a 8/10 ...

HappySqurriel said:

Wow, this guy has brought out a lot of whiney fanboys ...

Early reviews tend to be the most positive reviews for a game, in part because the reviewers tend to be the least independant and are unable to give an (overly) harsh review for a game; over time you see more and more low scores as reviewers attempt to give fair reviews, with the occasional attention whore who just wants to attract controversey.

Personally, after playing Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 and 3 I personally believe that 8/10 is a reasonable score for this game if it is anything like the first 3 games; the gameplay of those games shows its age and feels like it was designed around the limitations of the Playstation, the dialogue is awful and the story is so convoluted that it makes the starwars prequels look like great literature in comparison.

Good thing its not =D

mM
Around the Network

I think hes 100% wrong. I also think he is an idiot for for seriously ranting that "the glass sucks".......okay. What a douche.

All review at just the opinion of the reviewer. If I review GTAIV and I thought thte game was too violent, my score of 5/10 is justified.

Find a reviewer or website whose scores you trust, and read those reviews. If 100 people review a game, not everyone will like it.

Review doesn't bother me because this is still the best Next Gen game I have played so far, but to complain about something as unimportant as glass bottles in 1 out of the 5 acts is just stupid. He also talks about how it feels dated, yet this same argument can be used for just about any game released so far with the exception of a few Wii games.

8 is a great score, don't get me wrong, but the reasoning for it, plus the fact that he needs to continually explain himself and rant on others makes this review really lame.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

leo-j said:

None of you understand, how good this game is.. this game made me cry, this game is not an ordinary game at all.

Until you play it and beat it, once you get to act 4 its an emotional ride from there on, dont compare GTA 4 with MGS4, doing that would be an offense to MGS4.

edit:

to stay on topic, look this game shouldnt even get a score, these scores are meaningless, I dont care if it gets a 1, that just shows how pathetic the reviewer is. Trust me this game is no 10 or 8.

Agree, GTA could never compare to MGS4.... 

Owner Of: PS1 PS2 PS3 PSP NES GB GBA GC WII XBOX

Around the Network

MGS4 is the best game I have played, ever. For me it's a 10, for some people it's an 8. Who cares? I have never seen anything like this game on a console. If this game was on the 360, I would buy a 360 to play it.

Edit: This is based upon 1/3 of the game.  It could all fall apart in the later Acts.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

misteromar mk4 said:
What he said totally applies to gta4.

It certianly does.  I agree 100% with him regarding MGS4 and think the same thing can be said of GTA4 reviews.   After playing a bit of the game and also watching another friend play who was farther along, MGS4 is a good game but it does not deserve perfect scores.  It has several obvious and sometimes annoying flaws.  I have lost an incredible amount of respect for the gaming press over the last year and it seems to only be getting worse.

I give that post a 9.9.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

"Gaming journalism" sucks. The inability of most game journalists to be critical - as well as the inability of many gamers to engage in critical thought concerning their beloved games - is one of the primary things holding back video games as a medium. I, for one, think this guy has the right idea.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

What? Some bottles are too low quality and he makes it sound like a major issue? It's still the same game and that's a problem? Why isn't it a problem with other games then? The environments are good, there's not much to complaing. Shooting isn't exactly the most important part of gameplay in this game so there shouldn't be much to complain either. Also, it's been made a lot better than before and it works kinda well now.

He's comparing the reactions of hit enemies to RE5? That's ridicilous, I'm sure it's not the only game having 'problems' with this. And turrets aren't always for the player, they can also be against the player. Or they can be against the AI. But certainly not always for the player. And the AI of the game (OctoCamo and hiding part)? It may not be very realistic but it's fun. That's the way the AI has always been in MGS and I've always enjoyed it.

Otherwise their complaints mostly sound like opinions which is fine with me, however. I still hate when they complain about problems that are in other games as well but they only care about them in this game.

I hate the review system, it never tells the truth.

Not to say MGS4 is perfect of course. It has its flaws but even then it's an excellent game. 

Ssyn said:
2 points for minor details? I can list 100 for GTA 4 but it is a 10? This reviewer is nothing more than an attention whore.

Did you even read the review?  'Cause that comment just kinda makes you look a bit ignorant.