By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why MGS4 deserves a 8/10 ...

... and not a 9/10, according to gamedaily :

NO SPOILER PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ 

http://gamerush.zoomshare.com/files/news/002595_GameDaily_Some_reviewers_give_Kojima_a_free_pass.htm

GameDaily: Some reviewers give Kojima a free pass

Took a controversial position

By Dan Freeman, GameRush Entertainment

Contact us | Go to all news

Chris Buffa, Senior Editor at GameDaily, has responded to criticism over his review of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, which he scored an 8/10.

“There are a lot of perfect scores and 9s for MGS4, and I can only speculate why. First, I believe that some reviewers give Kojima a free pass because he’s Kojima and that makes no sense. I’ve read some reviews where the writer complains for a good portion of the article and then awards the game a 9/10 or a 10/10. Gamesradar (whom I love) is guilty of this. If you’re going to make arguments against a game, then stick to those points by awarding the game a score that reflects your beliefs. The solution is not to go ‘complain complain complain...but Kojima 9/10,’” Buffa told GameRush Entertainment.

“We can certainly speculate that some of the authors are fan boys and that’s possible. I also have a theory that when reviewers see a few 10/10s and 9/10s that they are inclined to follow suit. Obviously, no one will write you an email if you fall in line and give the game the same score everyone has given it.”

“It’s also worth pointing out that I am not the only writer to give the game an 8. I’d be curious to read those reviews.”

“The bottom line is some people gush over MGS, and its shortcomings matter little compared to its positives. For these people, the game is a 10/10, 9/10, A- or whatever scale they use. For me, it had an opposite effect. Its shortcomings were just too great. In fact, I actually removed stuff from my review. I was going to criticize Kojima for allowing such awful glass breaking physics and animations into the game, as well as horrible looking bottles in Act 1. Now that would have been over the top, yet at the same time...here is a game that took years and millions of dollars to develop, a game that has a heavy foot in realism with all the real world equipment and character models and all this jazz...and your glass sucks. It stands out only because the rest of the game looks attractive.”

“I love the presentation. As always, Kojima shows that he knows how to direct above all else. But at its core, this is the same Metal Gear Solid, and its environments and gunplay pale in comparison to other third and first person games out there. That, and the game just didn’t feel like a 9. I can’t explain how it works...but sometimes as a reviewer you just get a feeling that there is no way this game is such and such a score, which only goes to show how silly numerical values are. So I took a controversial position and I’ve received some hate for it, but I stand by what I said. Great game, just not triple A amazing,” he said.

==> personnaly, my favorite french (basher) website, gamekult.com, gave MGS4 a 8/10

(they gave :
Bioshock/SMG/GTA4 : 9/10
Gears of War/CoD4/PGR4/AssassinCreed : 8/10
Halo3/Unchartred/NG2 : 7/10)

so what do you think ?

To bash or not to bash ?

EDIT :

Gamedaily Halo3 : 9/10
                 GTA4 : 10/10

Time to Work !

Around the Network

I'm only about 5 hours in, but I'd say as an EXPERIENCE, I'd give it a 10, but as a pure GAME, I'd say an 8 is about right. So I'd score it a 9. Enjoying it for the most part. Funny he mentions the glass. I totally noticed the same thing.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

i wouldn't disagree with that at all. Some people see problems with the game as tiny errors that you just overlook, and some see them as much larger, he backed his position on his review very well. I think someone that gave it a 10 could do the same type of argument and not be wrong (though i'm of the belief that if its a 10 it's basically perfect).

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

HE justifies everything he said. And its all reasonable.
It simply comes down to whether you agree with his review philosophies.

There is certainly something in the "follow the leader" idea of reviewers following previous high scores.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

MGS4 deserves a 20/10 if GTA4 deserves a 10/10. I own, played, and beat both games. Of course, this is just my opinion.

And I never really noticed the glass bit. I was too busy sneaking around, collecting guns for Drebin Points, and using CQC to really notice. Something far worse than the poor way the glass breaks is the poor AI/cover mechanics in Gears of War that will have people take cover behind an object, but have their head/arm/leg sticking out for you to shoot. But I never read that in any review, and it didn't take away from my enjoyment of Gears of War. But it's funny that a glaring oversight like this is less important than the way glass breaks in a game. Of course, this is all just my opinion as well.

Around the Network

great review

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

bobobologna said:
MGS4 deserves a 20/10 if GTA4 deserves a 10/10. I own, played, and beat both games. Of course, this is just my opinion.

And I never really noticed the glass bit. I was too busy sneaking around, collecting guns for Drebin Points, and using CQC to really notice. Something far worse than the poor way the glass breaks is the poor AI/cover mechanics in Gears of War that will have people take cover behind an object, but have their head/arm/leg sticking out for you to shoot. But I never read that in any review, and it didn't take away from my enjoyment of Gears of War. But it's funny that a glaring oversight like this is less important than the way glass breaks in a game. Of course, this is all just my opinion as well.

the glass thing isn't even in the review.  How can it be "important" when he didn't even put it in his review.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
bobobologna said:

the glass thing isn't even in the review. How can it be "important" when he didn't even put it in his review.

He makes it out to be important in this article.  Did any articles come out about why Gears of War deserves an 8/10 because of the poor AI/cover mechanics?  And blame reviewers for giving Epic/CliffyB a free pass when reviewing Gears of War?  Did I blame reviewers for giving 10/10s to GTA4 or Halo 3 when I felt neither deserved them?  No, I could care less about what game reviewers rate games.

All i can say is that if any reviewer gave any game a free pass, its Rockstars GTAIV. Totaly overrated and doesn't deserve all the 10s it got. It's an 8 in my book... to repeating gameplay. MGS4 deserves 9 or a 10. Right know its a 10. I will reconsider after my second playtrough.

I'll buy that some reviewers can give MGS4 an 8/10, but it does mean raising the bar across the board in scoring other games in the future.

But saying that he's taking the controversial stance doesn't really help with validating his opinion any more than taking the stance that since everyone's giving the game a 9 or 10 that I will too. But his reasons are there, and nobody can really refute anything about his observations even if they don't agree with his final opinion.

If anything, this is starting to show more problems with the numerical ratings system that will never go away. You must subtract points for clear shortcomings, yet that can result in a score that does not realistically gauge the overall game playing experience which in rare cases is higher than a simple sum total of all its individual aspects.