By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why MGS4 deserves a 8/10 ...

Look at the positives in a game. The draw backs are only an issue if they truly affect your enjoyment, stuff like broken glasses should not affect the review in any way whatsoever, as those are little negatives that you have to be actively seeking

Around the Network

I couldn't careless what this guy says or what other reviewers give. Since I already know it's gonna be epic for me.

What's his is his. What's mine is mine. I could only say to this guy is go on and bitch for days but it won't change anything.

bobobologna said:
johnsobas said:
bobobologna said:
MGS4 deserves a 20/10 if GTA4 deserves a 10/10. I own, played, and beat both games. Of course, this is just my opinion.

And I never really noticed the glass bit. I was too busy sneaking around, collecting guns for Drebin Points, and using CQC to really notice. Something far worse than the poor way the glass breaks is the poor AI/cover mechanics in Gears of War that will have people take cover behind an object, but have their head/arm/leg sticking out for you to shoot. But I never read that in any review, and it didn't take away from my enjoyment of Gears of War. But it's funny that a glaring oversight like this is less important than the way glass breaks in a game. Of course, this is all just my opinion as well.

the glass thing isn't even in the review. How can it be "important" when he didn't even put it in his review.

He makes it out to be important in this article. Did any articles come out about why Gears of War deserves an 8/10 because of the poor AI/cover mechanics? And blame reviewers for giving Epic/CliffyB a free pass when reviewing Gears of War? Did I blame reviewers for giving 10/10s to GTA4 or Halo 3 when I felt neither deserved them? No, I could care less about what game reviewers rate games.

Did you forget the part where the glass is NOT in the review.  Sure he mentioned it here, but again it's not in the review and we're talking about reviews.  Maybe you have a short memory but people jumped all over reviews for the scores of Halo 3 and GTA4.  GTA4 is 100% guilty of this, probably much moreso than MGS4.  People will look back at those reviews later and laugh at how so many things were overlooked. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Okay, this is *definitely* turning into Twlight Princess 8.8 all over again when the reviewers have to respond to criticism over their scores.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

I personally don't think any game deserves a 10/10. No game is perfect, all have their little downsides. I personally like % based review scales more cause they give the people more chance to scale between good 80, very good 90 and perfect 100 which in my opinnion no game should get.
I personally would not rate any game i ever played (and thats a lot since i started gaming in the 80s on C64) higher than 95.

Around the Network

What he said totally applies to gta4.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

He isn't the only one giving this game an 8, there's many reviewers already who don't think MGS4 is the second coming of Jesus. I can't comment on it since I haven't played it, but when many people rate it lower than what you expect, there's no reason to call them haters or bashers. Maybe the hype is blinding you.

If you are a fan of the series of course this will be a 10 or a 9 to you, but for new gamers, it may not be the same. I trust reviewers more than fans of the series, since they are more objective most of the times (GameSpot for example isn't).

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

It really all comes down to opinion. MGS4 is a game made for MGS fans, some flaws that would bring the score down to 8/10 can be the same positives that bring the score up to 10/10.

Important point :

Gamedaily Halo3 : 9/10
GTA4 : 10/10

Ok ...........

Time to Work !

I think games like Gears of War and Halo 3 have been wildly overhyped. I haven't played MGS4 yet, but if the game is as good overall as some of the footage I've seen I can understand the perfect scores in relation to other game ratings. The game certainly looks to be a league ahead of many multi-platform games I have seen which scored 8/10 or higher.

GTA IV is IMO a very good game though, I would rate the game up there together with Mario64 or God of War 2 (all 3 very different games, but best amongst the game gerne they are targeting). I prefer harsher reviews though, so 9/10 for such games seem about right to me for the time of release.

I think reviewers usually are too quick to hand a game a 10/10, it may be MGS4 really is that good though considering I haven't played it yet. However on the other hand for some games reviewers have shown to be extremely (unprofessionally) harsh, Haze and Lair aren't nearly as bad as most make them out to be, there are far worse games ranked much higher.

IGN IMO is usually one of the better sites, they give this game a 10/10. But they did exagerate in a negative sense with regard to games like Lair and Super Ruba Dub. Gamespot is IMO usually one of the worst major reivew sites, they are usually way too harsh with regard to PS3 exclusives in relation to overpraising the hell out of 360 exclusives. Yet they give MGS4 a 10/10, which is quite surprising.

Games reviews are all very subjective. I love to check out MGS4 after coming back from vacation to make up my own mind.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales