By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - View of MGS4 from a new PS3 owner, and not so big fan of the series...

TheRealMafoo said:
rocketpig said:
Nice writeup Vagabond. Keep us updated on how you feel about the game once you get past that first chapter...

Personally, I think the game does a nosedive after that point. The gameplay is still good (I don't have a problem with the controls) but the lack of play, the lack of options, and the nauseating dialogue got to me mid-second act and only got worse from there (I'm nearing the end of the third act now).

I guess this is where people are different.. I found the game got a lot better. I am only at what is probably the end of Act 4, but so far, if I had to pick my least favorite act, it would be Act 1.

I really liked Act I. My order thus far would be:

Act IV>>>>Act I>Act III>>>>Act II. I think I'm near the end of the game. I just shut down GW, watched the Naomi video (God, Snake should have capped that bitch...), and Otacon woke me up right when I shut off the console. How close am I to the end? I heard this game drags on for awhile.

I really loved Act IV but I can't say Act V is impressing me that much. I loved the actual gameplay in Act I the most, though. I liked all the options to finish it however I pleased.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
phil said:
rocketpig said:
DragonLord said:
rocketpig said:
DragonLord said:
If a ps3 game receives a score of 5.5 or so from Rocketpig or Twestern, then it is most likely an 8.5 or higher in most other peoples books.

Yeah, because I mark down PS3 games because they're on a Sony console.

Nice troll job, BTW. You don't even have the slightest idea what I would give MGS4. Here's a hint: it's higher than 8/10. That could change depending on the ending but other than the story and dialogue, my impressions of the game are overwhelmingly positive.

But if it makes you feel better to think that people care enough to mark down games from a console they own just to spite fanboys, go for it. Paranoia rules, yo.

Lol, I actually prefer the 360 over the ps3 personally. I really do. I'm a jrpg fan and the ps3 doesn't have shit on the ps3--plain and simple fact. And not much coming in the foreseeable future. However, the 360 has lots of good JRPG's coming soon and Lost Odyssey is my favorite game of the next-gen. I've been banned from ps3forums and am actually posting over at Teamxbox recently. So I'm not much of a "Sony" fanboy.

I didn't mean it rudely. I meant it as a joke. So don't get so damn defensive and offended.

Ah, I misunderstood. My apologies.

It's not out of the ordinary for PS3 fanboys to assault me in this forum. I've done a good job of attacking their sacred cow on many occasions.

Hahahaha! Don't think so highly of yourself. Your problem isn't that you attack anyone's sacred cows, it's your utter hypocrisy. Your nitpicking of little bullshit details in PS3 games even if they don't matter, but seeming forgiveness of the same problems on every god damned 360 game ever released.

If you're so fucking clever, how is it you completely utterly failed to realize that the cutscenes in MGS are skippable, especially after you said they were the biggest problem? Because you're a troll whose full of shit.

Exactly what 360 game faults do I overlook? I think you're confusing "nitpicking" with "glaring game faults". If anyone here is overlooking faults in titles to make a system look better, it's you. I just call it like I see it.

Yet another PS3 owner telling me to skip the cutscenes... Yes, next time someone tells me about a movie they didn't like, I'll tell them to skip the first half of it if they don't like it but God forbid, do not complain about it if it was bad. Cheesy dialogue? Skip it. Awkward plot holes? Skip 'em. Horrible acting? Aw fuck it all, skip the whole damned thing. It's the lamest cop-out excuse to prevent someone from pointing out that MGS may not be as great as many of you like to think. Besides, I'm overall very positive about the game... But people like you don't notice things like that. You would rather classify everyone who attacks Your Precious as a "troll" for fear that they might have a valid point.

Nice personal insults, BTW. See you in two days.

PS. How do I "skip" mentally retarded AI? Just curious.

You're analogy is invalidated by the fact that you always refer to MGS titles as "games" rather than interactive movies. As such it is purely the gameplay that it should be judged by with the cutscenes being a nice bonus albeit skippable to those who do not enjoy them.

If you disliked the preachy dialogue at the end of SoL than you probably won't think better of MGS4, though I think some issues aside the ending (or at least the dialogue) was brilliant perhaps even surpassing the deeply thought provoking narrative of MGS2.

Game, interactive movie, marionette show, whatever... I didn't mention cutscene length once. I mentioned dialogue, plot holes, and bad acting... I'm pretty sure those apply to anything from theatre to video games to cinema. Let's not dance around its faults by trying to pigeonhole it into its own special category.

And again, I find nothing in MGS4 thought-provoking... A little subtlety would go a loooong way. For example, you don't need to tell me that there was no "wolf" in the Crying Wolf story... I'm not a fucking moron, thanks. That was heavily implied without an explanation. The same applies to the other beast stories. They also don't need to tell me four times in three minutes how "control" works in that Otacon/Snake cutscene... Again, not a moron. I figured it out, thanks. This kind of crap happens throughout the game and drags on cutscenes far longer than any intelligent person wants to bear. Once the cutscene stops being informative in any way, it's past its welcome and should be condensed. Kojima is a beautiful cinematographer and has a real knack for presentation but a good storyteller, he is not. He indulges himself far too often and drags scenes on for eternity.

Those kinds of scenes remove all thought from the MGS series. Thought involves actually being asked by the creator to consider what is happening. When the creator tells you everything, you don't have to think. It's laid out on the table for every English speaking adult with an IQ over 40 to understand.

@ rocketpig, you have complained in the past about games and films being designed for idiots... and I do agree, and in the game, there are certainly cut-scenes which are much longer than they need to be because they need to explain everything 5 times. However, there have been some where I have slightly lost concentration, and been slightly confused afterwards

Munkeh111 said:
@ rocketpig, you have complained in the past about games and films being designed for idiots... and I do agree, and in the game, there are certainly cut-scenes which are much longer than they need to be because they need to explain everything 5 times. However, there have been some where I have slightly lost concentration, and been slightly confused afterwards

I bet this would happen far less often if Kojima didn't lose your attention by explaining the same thing four times before moving on to a new point that you might miss because you stopped listening.

After all, that's a storyteller's job, right? I thought engaging the audience and maintaining their undivided attention was paramount in every good storyteller's mind.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Munkeh111 said:

I bet this would happen far less often if Kojima didn't lose your attention by explaining the same thing four times before moving on to a new point that you might miss because you stopped listening.

After all, that's a storyteller's job, right? I thought engaging the audience was paramount in every good storyteller's mind. 

Precisely, though I do like to multitask, and I am easily distracted, so I think I was posting in a thread while watching the cut-scene, so it is not entirely kojima's fault

So rocket pig?

Were you impressed? Was MGS4 better than what you expect it to be? Or worst?

mM
leo-j said:
So rocket pig?

Overall I'm pretty damned impressed. The storyline holes, dialogue, cutscene length, etc. were all things I expected going into the game. I still think they suck but it's like going to the dentist not expecting pain... In the case of MGS4, I'm there for the lollipop afterwards.

And that lollipop delivers. Kojima's little touches are brilliant (the egg scenes, MGS1 intro, "Otacon, get a grip on yourself!", etc. are always enjoyable) and the presentation is unrivaled in videogames IMO. The gameplay is massively improved, too. The controls are finally where they should be and the diversity in gameplay (W00t Metal Gear Rex FTW!) is a welcome addition to the game.

PS. They took both of Raiden's arms. That made me smile. A lot. God, I hate that guy. 

rocketpig said:
leo-j said:
So rocket pig?

Overall I'm pretty damned impressed. The storyline holes, dialogue, cutscene length, etc. were all things I expected going into the game. I still think they suck but it's like going to the dentist not expecting pain... In the case of MGS4, I'm there for the lollipop afterwards.

And that lollipop delivers. Kojima's little touches are brilliant (the egg scenes, MGS1 intro, "Otacon, get a grip on yourself!", etc. are always enjoyable) and the presentation is unrivaled in videogames IMO. The gameplay is massively improved, too. The controls are finally where they should be and the diversity in gameplay (W00t Metal Gear Rex FTW!) is a welcome addition to the game.

PS. They took both of Raiden's arms. That made me smile. A lot. God, I hate that guy.

What did you think of the ending?

I am at the ending....waiting till tonight to watch the ending though.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey