By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - View of MGS4 from a new PS3 owner, and not so big fan of the series...

rocketpig said:
Hapimeses said:
rocketpig said:
Munkeh111 said:
rocketpig said:
Munkeh111 said:
@ rocketpig, automatic sniper or assault with scope, because that is what I have been using for act II so far, though I do trade in my silenced assault occasionally

also, what difficulty are you playing on, because they are quite stupid in solid normal (the easier of the normal ones)

I'm playing on Solid Normal. Is Liquid Normal harder?

If it is, that's freakin' stupid. I picked the one listed right above hard, thinking it was the more difficult of the two.

I am not sure which one I am doing, but the one closest to hard is the harder one, I am just not sure of the name

Ah, that would be Solid Normal, then. Liquid is easier.

I really should have played the game on Hard but I never thought Kojima would retard the difficulty so much. He should have compensated better for the vastly improved control system. With the old control system, I was often frustrated with the series. With the new controls, I'm a fucking killing machine.

Yeah, I was too -- indeed, the whole 'fucking killing machine' was quite a lot of fun first time around. I'm playing on the harder difficulty now, and appreciating it a little more. Then again, I'm going for a zero kill, zero continue, zero item completion, and that's not too easy.

BTW: the difficulty was apparently set so low because so many Japanese peeps found the new control system so difficulty. They apparently have difficulty using two analogue sticks at once. Indeed, it was such an issue, the Japanese default is Liquid Normal, while the western default is Solid Normal; personally, I find both too easy.

Those damned Japanese players... They like their games too easy compared to us grizzled Westerners. :D

Let me know how Big Boss Hard goes... I'm curious to know if the AI gets any smarter. I doubt they will... They'll surely get faster but rarely do they ever get smarter.

**MINOR SPOILERS REGARDING DIFFICULTY LEVELS**

Yeah, that seems a fair description of how things appear to be. Over all, Big Boss Hard seems to do the following:

• Fewer items on the maps, and soldiers drop less when searched.
  • You can carry less (for example, only 5 rations in comparison to 10, and ammo is significantly reduced)
  • Enemies are more accurate, inflict more damage, take less damage, react faster, and are more observant.

There may be more, but I've not spotted it yet.

There is also another difficulty level once you've completed the game: The Boss Extreme. I've played with this a fair bit as well, and it makes some sections very, very hard indeed, especially if you're going for a perfect completion to open some cool goodies. Things I've noticed:

• Enemies, and there are far more of them, are damned vigilant in comparison to the easier levels. No crawling right past these guys. And if you get in an Alert Phase, it gets really busy, really quick, and the guards are far harder.
  • Equally, Snake is far weaker, and his age is really getting to him. The slightest conflict can send his stress levels soaring, making aiming very difficult, and a single well-aimed shot can kill him (which was a surprise; I was sniped a few times, followed by the inevitable: 'SNAAAAAAAAAKE!').
  • Tranquilisers last for almost no time at all in comparison to earlier levels. So, no-kill play-throughs will be very tough.
  • Ammo and item slots are significantly reduced, and Drebin doesn't sell non-lethal rounds, which is a nightmare for a no-kill run-through.

So, getting the Big Boss emblem is going to be very tough for those with the patience to try.

:)

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
DragonLord said:
If a ps3 game receives a score of 5.5 or so from Rocketpig or Twestern, then it is most likely an 8.5 or higher in most other peoples books.

Yeah, because I mark down PS3 games because they're on a Sony console.

Nice troll job, BTW. You don't even have the slightest idea what I would give MGS4. Here's a hint: it's higher than 8/10. That could change depending on the ending but other than the story and dialogue, my impressions of the game are overwhelmingly positive.

But if it makes you feel better to think that people care enough to mark down games from a console they own just to spite fanboys, go for it. Paranoia rules, yo.

I meant it as a joke.  I was being a smartass.

Lol, I actually prefer the 360 over the ps3 personally (at least at this point of both consoles lifecycle).  I really do.  I'm a jrpg fan and Sony doesn't have shit on the ps3--plain and simple fact.  And not much coming in the foreseeable future.  However, the 360 has lots of good JRPG's coming soon and Lost Odyssey is my favorite game of the next-gen.  I've been banned from ps3forums and am actually posting over at Teamxbox recently.  So I'm not much of a "Sony" fanboy.

I didn't mean it rudely.  I meant it as a joke.  So don't get so damn defensive and offended.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

DragonLord said:
rocketpig said:
DragonLord said:
If a ps3 game receives a score of 5.5 or so from Rocketpig or Twestern, then it is most likely an 8.5 or higher in most other peoples books.

Nice troll job, BTW. You don't even have the slightest idea what I would give MGS4. Here's a hint: it's higher than 8/10. That could change depending on the ending but other than the story and dialogue, my impressions of the game are overwhelmingly positive.

But if it makes you feel better to think that people care enough to mark down games from a console they own just to spite fanboys, go for it. Paranoia rules, yo.

Lol, I actually prefer the 360 over the ps3 personally. I really do. I'm a jrpg fan and the ps3 doesn't have shit on the ps3--plain and simple fact. And not much coming in the foreseeable future. However, the 360 has lots of good JRPG's coming soon and Lost Odyssey is my favorite game of the next-gen. I've been banned from ps3forums and am actually posting over at Teamxbox recently. So I'm not much of a "Sony" fanboy.

I didn't mean it rudely. I meant it as a joke. So don't get so damn defensive and offended.

Ah, I misunderstood. My apologies.

It's not out of the ordinary for PS3 fanboys to assault me in this forum. I've done a good job of attacking their sacred cow on many occasions. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
DragonLord said:
rocketpig said:
DragonLord said:

Lol, I actually prefer the 360 over the ps3 personally. I really do. I'm a jrpg fan and the ps3 doesn't have shit on the ps3--plain and simple fact. And not much coming in the foreseeable future. However, the 360 has lots of good JRPG's coming soon and Lost Odyssey is my favorite game of the next-gen. I've been banned from ps3forums and am actually posting over at Teamxbox recently. So I'm not much of a "Sony" fanboy.

I didn't mean it rudely. I meant it as a joke. So don't get so damn defensive and offended.

It's not out of the ordinary for PS3 fanboys to assault me in this forum. I've done a good job of attacking their sacred cow on many occasions. 

No problem, I understand.

I'm just a gamer and go where the JRPG's go.  The ps3 doesn't have shit to offer me this generation (or at least yet).

And I'm a graphics whore which rules out Nintendo for me.  So the 360 is the logical console of choice for me at this point.  (Although I do own them all).  Sony has really started to piss me off lately to say the least.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

rocketpig said:
DragonLord said:
rocketpig said:
DragonLord said:

Maybe that's why?

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
rocketpig said:
DragonLord said:
rocketpig said:
DragonLord said:

Maybe that's why?

You think? I always find it funny that so many people take offense at people calling out a piece of hardware for glaring faults... After all, it's not as if I haven't had my fair share of rants about the 360 and Wii, too.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:

This is sort of a shared favorite past time of RP and I.  I find fanboyism to be annoying, but it does lead people to make ridiculous claims about their favorite games and console makers often times even before release.  I always get a good laugh out of it.

I give this post a 9.8. 

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Hapimeses said:
rocketpig said:
Hapimeses said:
rocketpig said:
Munkeh111 said:
rocketpig said:
Munkeh111 said:
@ rocketpig, automatic sniper or assault with scope, because that is what I have been using for act II so far, though I do trade in my silenced assault occasionally

also, what difficulty are you playing on, because they are quite stupid in solid normal (the easier of the normal ones)

I'm playing on Solid Normal. Is Liquid Normal harder?

If it is, that's freakin' stupid. I picked the one listed right above hard, thinking it was the more difficult of the two.

I am not sure which one I am doing, but the one closest to hard is the harder one, I am just not sure of the name

Ah, that would be Solid Normal, then. Liquid is easier.

I really should have played the game on Hard but I never thought Kojima would retard the difficulty so much. He should have compensated better for the vastly improved control system. With the old control system, I was often frustrated with the series. With the new controls, I'm a fucking killing machine.

Yeah, I was too -- indeed, the whole 'fucking killing machine' was quite a lot of fun first time around. I'm playing on the harder difficulty now, and appreciating it a little more. Then again, I'm going for a zero kill, zero continue, zero item completion, and that's not too easy.

BTW: the difficulty was apparently set so low because so many Japanese peeps found the new control system so difficulty. They apparently have difficulty using two analogue sticks at once. Indeed, it was such an issue, the Japanese default is Liquid Normal, while the western default is Solid Normal; personally, I find both too easy.

Those damned Japanese players... They like their games too easy compared to us grizzled Westerners. :D

Let me know how Big Boss Hard goes... I'm curious to know if the AI gets any smarter. I doubt they will... They'll surely get faster but rarely do they ever get smarter.

**MINOR SPOILERS REGARDING DIFFICULTY LEVELS**

Yeah, that seems a fair description of how things appear to be. Over all, Big Boss Hard seems to do the following:

• Fewer items on the maps, and soldiers drop less when searched.
  • You can carry less (for example, only 5 rations in comparison to 10, and ammo is significantly reduced)
  • Enemies are more accurate, inflict more damage, take less damage, react faster, and are more observant.

There may be more, but I've not spotted it yet.

There is also another difficulty level once you've completed the game: The Boss Extreme. I've played with this a fair bit as well, and it makes some sections very, very hard indeed, especially if you're going for a perfect completion to open some cool goodies. Things I've noticed:

• Enemies, and there are far more of them, are damned vigilant in comparison to the easier levels. No crawling right past these guys. And if you get in an Alert Phase, it gets really busy, really quick, and the guards are far harder.
  • Equally, Snake is far weaker, and his age is really getting to him. The slightest conflict can send his stress levels soaring, making aiming very difficult, and a single well-aimed shot can kill him (which was a surprise; I was sniped a few times, followed by the inevitable: 'SNAAAAAAAAAKE!').
  • Tranquilisers last for almost no time at all in comparison to earlier levels. So, no-kill play-throughs will be very tough.
  • Ammo and item slots are significantly reduced, and Drebin doesn't sell non-lethal rounds, which is a nightmare for a no-kill run-through.

So, getting the Big Boss emblem is going to be very tough for those with the patience to try.

:)

MORE SPOILERS ABOUT DIFFICULTY:  Indeed.  I think it's almost a neccesity to play through the 2nd time on Big Boss Hard to load up on ammo and weapons (special weapons and ammo, especially).  Some of them are only available on the 2nd playthrough and really help.  I've thought about going through Liquid mode just to get the items and see how fast you can beat it.  Seems like you can pretty much run through the game on that difficulty.  Then when I get the items ( I didn't get all the statues, for instance, because I didn't know you had to collect them...despite the fact I killed every boss with the no-kill method...ugh) I can play the hardest difficulty just to see if I can do it.  I don't think I'll ever be trying to get the Big Boss Emblem...I'd rather play MGO.

rocketpig said:
DragonLord said:

Not only own... but in the case of Twestern develop games for.

Apparently he's not only marketing things out of spite, but also risking his job out of spite.

leo-j said:
I for once dont agree with what anything that rocketpig said, if he didnt give a $hit about the cutscenes just skip them, if you dont care for the story just skip the cutscene, its as simple as that.

kojima isnt forcing you to watch the cutscene.

You're missing the point though, by skipping the cutscenes, then there would be a PS3 game that that little loser ass troll would have had nothing but nice things to say about.  His name is bolded and in red... but don't let that fool you, his bias is as bad as your own.  He's just better at getting away with trolling.