By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - View of MGS4 from a new PS3 owner, and not so big fan of the series...

DragonLord said:
If a ps3 game receives a score of 5.5 or so from Rocketpig or Twestern, then it is most likely an 8.5 or higher in most other peoples books.

Yeah, because I mark down PS3 games because they're on a Sony console.

Nice troll job, BTW. You don't even have the slightest idea what I would give MGS4. Here's a hint: it's higher than 8/10. That could change depending on the ending but other than the story and dialogue, my impressions of the game are overwhelmingly positive.

But if it makes you feel better to think that people care enough to mark down games from a console they own just to spite fanboys, go for it. Paranoia rules, yo.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Munkeh111 said:
@ rocketpig, automatic sniper or assault with scope, because that is what I have been using for act II so far, though I do trade in my silenced assault occasionally

also, what difficulty are you playing on, because they are quite stupid in solid normal (the easier of the normal ones)

I'm playing on Solid Normal. Is Liquid Normal harder?

If it is, that's freakin' stupid. I picked the one listed right above hard, thinking it was the more difficult of the two.

I am not sure which one I am doing, but the one closest to hard is the harder one, I am just not sure of the name

rocketpig said:
DragonLord said:
If a ps3 game receives a score of 5.5 or so from Rocketpig or Twestern, then it is most likely an 8.5 or higher in most other peoples books.

Yeah, because I mark down PS3 games because they're on a Sony console.

Nice troll job, BTW. You don't even have the slightest idea what I would give MGS4. Here's a hint: it's higher than 8/10. That could change depending on the ending but other than the story and dialogue, my impressions of the game are overwhelmingly positive.

But if it makes you feel better to think that people care enough to mark down games from a console they own just to spite fanboys, go for it. Paranoia rules, yo.

Ack. The ending is like return of the king. When you thought it was over there is one more ending to watch :P

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Munkeh111 said:
rocketpig said:
Munkeh111 said:
@ rocketpig, automatic sniper or assault with scope, because that is what I have been using for act II so far, though I do trade in my silenced assault occasionally

also, what difficulty are you playing on, because they are quite stupid in solid normal (the easier of the normal ones)

If it is, that's freakin' stupid. I picked the one listed right above hard, thinking it was the more difficult of the two.

I am not sure which one I am doing, but the one closest to hard is the harder one, I am just not sure of the name

Ah, that would be Solid Normal, then. Liquid is easier.

I really should have played the game on Hard but I never thought Kojima would retard the difficulty so much. He should have compensated better for the vastly improved control system. With the old control system, I was often frustrated with the series. With the new controls, I'm a fucking killing machine.

rocketpig said:

I'm pretty sure Solid Normal is the harder of the two.
I partially agree with the AI. When not in alert, you can toy with them to no end, but when they're actively looking for you I've found they're actually pretty intelligent, always heading for hiding spots first (Behind cover, under tables, lockers, etc.), then making sure everything else is clear. I'm going through the game the second time today, so we'll see how Big Boss hard is.

With that said, this is some of the best gameplay I've ever experienced. The variation alone is breathtaking, and graphics and presentation seem to be without equal (So far as consoles go). It'll take me some four-five playthroughs to do everything I've wanted to do, and then some.
The dialogue was admittedly bad/generic in many parts, although I still thought the overall story was quite epic and engaging. And if anything, provides further proof that Solid Snake is the best character in gaming.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Munkeh111 said:
rocketpig said:
Munkeh111 said:

I really should have played the game on Hard but I never thought Kojima would retard the difficulty so much. He should have compensated better for the vastly improved control system. With the old control system, I was often frustrated with the series. With the new controls, I'm a fucking killing machine.

Yeah, I was too -- indeed, the whole 'fucking killing machine' was quite a lot of fun first time around. I'm playing on the harder difficulty now, and appreciating it a little more. Then again, I'm going for a zero kill, zero continue, zero item completion, and that's not too easy.

BTW: the difficulty was apparently set so low because so many Japanese peeps found the new control system so difficulty. They apparently have difficulty using two analogue sticks at once. Indeed, it was such an issue, the Japanese default is Liquid Normal, while the western default is Solid Normal; personally, I find both too easy.

I am only playing on liquid normal because I don't really like stealthing

Quickdraw McGraw said:
rocketpig said:

I'm pretty sure Solid Normal is the harder of the two.
I partially agree with the AI. When not in alert, you can toy with them to no end, but when they're actively looking for you I've found they're actually pretty intelligent, always heading for hiding spots first (Behind cover, under tables, lockers, etc.), then making sure everything else is clear. I'm going through the game the second time today, so we'll see how Big Boss hard is.

With that said, this is some of the best gameplay I've ever experienced. The variation alone is breathtaking, and graphics and presentation seem to be without equal (So far as consoles go). It'll take me some four-five playthroughs to do everything I've wanted to do, and then some.
The dialogue was admittedly bad/generic in many parts, although I still thought the overall story was quite epic and engaging. And if anything, provides further proof that Solid Snake is the best character in gaming.

Bolded: Yeah, they do look under hiding spots but that only helps if you're hiding. I found the best approach is to run away and put some distance between you and the enemies, take them all out with headshots, and then quickly progress forward. It exposes the extreme stupidity in the AI and the game is really easy most of the time if you're a decent shot with dual analogs. I ended up running through most of Act II with a friggin' sniper rifle. I didn't even bother trying to sneak, I literally ran right through the combat a la Lieutenant Spears in Band of Brothers. :D

As for variation, yeah, there's a ton of it. The first half of Act III was my least favorite part. The whole film noir Eastern European thing just doesn't jibe with the rest of the game. The second half with the motorcycle escape, though ridiculously easy, was a lot of fun. It had a great chase scene feel to it. It's a great lead-in to Act IV and the game's high point thus far, Return to Shadow Moses.

Overall, I'm having a lot of fun with the game and I'm glad I bought it. I guess sticking through for Snake despite Kojima's excess was worth it after all. :D

Hapimeses said:
rocketpig said:
Munkeh111 said:
rocketpig said:
Munkeh111 said:

Yeah, I was too -- indeed, the whole 'fucking killing machine' was quite a lot of fun first time around. I'm playing on the harder difficulty now, and appreciating it a little more. Then again, I'm going for a zero kill, zero continue, zero item completion, and that's not too easy.

BTW: the difficulty was apparently set so low because so many Japanese peeps found the new control system so difficulty. They apparently have difficulty using two analogue sticks at once. Indeed, it was such an issue, the Japanese default is Liquid Normal, while the western default is Solid Normal; personally, I find both too easy.

Those damned Japanese players... They like their games too easy compared to us grizzled Westerners. :D

Let me know how Big Boss Hard goes... I'm curious to know if the AI gets any smarter. I doubt they will... They'll surely get faster but rarely do they ever get smarter.

rocketpig said:

Bolded: Yeah, they do look under hiding spots but that only helps if you're hiding. I found the best approach is to run away and put some distance between you and the enemies, take them all out with headshots, and then quickly progress forward. It exposes the extreme stupidity in the AI and the game is really easy most of the time if you're a decent shot with dual analogs. I ended up running through most of Act II with a friggin' sniper rifle. I didn't even bother trying to sneak, I literally ran right through the combat a la Lieutenant Spears in Band of Brothers. :D

As for variation, yeah, there's a ton of it. The first half of Act III was my least favorite part. The whole film noir Eastern European thing just doesn't jibe with the rest of the game. The second half with the motorcycle escape, though ridiculously easy, was a lot of fun. It had a great chase scene feel to it. It's a great lead-in to Act IV and the game's high point thus far, Return to Shadow Moses.

Overall, I'm having a lot of fun with the game and I'm glad I bought it. I guess sticking through for Snake despite Kojima's excess was worth it after all. :D

I'm more of a stealthy guy (Both in MGS, and literally every other game I play), so I always try to find the most ingenious hiding spot when on the run. You find out early on however, that "hiding in plain sight" with Octocamo works a hell of a lot better than in actual hiding spots.

The E.E. art style in Act III did seem out of place with everything but Snake's young civilian get-up, although I did enjoy following that guy around, it was like a whole different brand of stealth. And the Shadow Moses section was amazing, a lot of nostalgia yet completely different then your first trip to the base in MGS.

Glad to see you're enjoying it though, it really is a great game.