By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - View of MGS4 from a new PS3 owner, and not so big fan of the series...

Not knocking the cut scenes because once again all non game play elements can be easily skipped. Although if the ridiculously verbose scripts or overwrought plotlines of MGS games are a game breaker to the player, why would they bother to play another MGS game, much less buy it unless you're beefheaded enough to buy a game simply because it's the hottest current title.

I can think of plenty of games that do much worse in the story telling department, not to mention the overall presentation and voice talent performances. My biggest gripe these days is the perfunctory storylines and characters created for most big production games to the point where it feels like they're not even trying.

Like it or not, the most dedicated effort was made to at least try to add substance to a storyline and game.

It was the same thing with GTA. Some of the flaws from previous games were improved, but a lot of the fundamental ones weren't. But in many cases, the chief complaints were in regards to the fundamental structure of the game itself (mission based, with a fair amount of similarity between missions of the same type). Did anyone REALLY think the basic GTA formula was going to be drastically altered?

Did anyone REALLY think that the fundamentals of the MGS series were going to be changed when they are the main reason for all the repeat customers (fans of the series)?

No gripes with the level of difficulty either. First time through most story centric games should be played at a level that is not frustrating to progress through at a decent pace. Unfortunately the easier levels of difficulty were essentially set by dialing down the combat rating and intelligence of enemies.

But if anyone prefers the challenge, they should be playing Big Boss Hard. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an additional level of difficulty upon completing the game the first time.

Around the Network

Thanks for the summary. I was really not sure about buying this game. I was bitten by too many console classics I really didn't like (DMC4) . But I will probably buy it. PErhaps there will be a demo.

It's really surprising this series and game is liked by so many people, as it's a very niche kind of game. Something that you think only a select crowd would get into. Instead seems to be a big system seller, and largely bought on the first day. It's just not a series like Mario or Halo or Grand Theft Auto which are all very appealing to the mainstream with their styles.

it's a very niche kind of game

Why do so many people say that? Just wondering: I have not played it but sneak games like Splinter Cell sell huge numbers. I am more surprised by the huge amount of copies sold by games like Smash brothers: that sounds really niche to me. Sometimes you just dont know what appeals to people. The gametype is not what makes me suspicous of MGS but I have some problems with the Japaneseness (weird enemies, pathos without end ...) of the game.

@Zucas

one could say that Pokemon is a JRPG so why isn't it niche or final fantasy.....

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

I'm a hardcore MGS fan and after beating MGS4 I totally get the story behind the Patriots. and to the moron who said this is a "Niche" game. each MGS game has sold 5 million or more. that's way more than what each Splinter Cell title has.

I have never played a MGS game before, but I do think the game is awesome. I am mostly playing in an action manner, cause I suck at stealth, but it is great fun. My only slight issue is that the aiming is slow, so I have had some minor difficulty with those enemies, but I got through fine (mostly because I am playing on the 2nd difficulty). My main issue with the the close combat stuff, when you get near someone and they detect you, it does get really akward, as all the CQC has to be done without them knowing you are there, and also I have not worked out how to hold up an enemy yet.

First time i beat the game it took me 15.5 hours. Now I'm on my second play thorough and I'm on act 4's end. I'm at about 3 hours in, haven't died and have killed 10 enemies, I'm aiming to beat the game in 4 hours. This is just one of those games that has great replay value because of the different styles you can use. Stealthy, run and gun, etc. Anyone who doesn't have it, BUY IT

Anyone played MGO yet?

Just beat the game and it took me 26 hours.

I hope the game is really successfull so that we see more of those epic kinds of big budgets games that tell a real story and still feature real good gameplay...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

merkh66 said:
First time i beat the game it took me 15.5 hours. Now I'm on my second play thorough and I'm on act 4's end. I'm at about 3 hours in, haven't died and have killed 10 enemies, I'm aiming to beat the game in 4 hours. This is just one of those games that has great replay value because of the different styles you can use. Stealthy, run and gun, etc. Anyone who doesn't have it, BUY IT

Anyone played MGO yet?

I killed over 100 people in the 1st act! How can you beat the game in 4 hours, even skipping all the cut-scenes wont get it down that low