By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - View of MGS4 from a new PS3 owner, and not so big fan of the series...

While we're on the topic of the game repeating things ad-nauseam. In act 3, where you're with Naomi she explains how Solid Snake has DNA thats slightly different then Big Boss. Then at the end of the act she explains the exact same thing to Otacon and Snake, again, except snake acts surprised. I thought that was outright ridiculous.

Besides the story my other major complaint with the game is the locations/level art direction. Most of them were incredibly generic representations of real places, and sometimes they had things that just shouldn't have been there, such as the Church in Act 3. But there were also lots of minor things you would've expected to see in those settings that you didn't. It just felt half-assed, like the cutscenes were more important to them then making engaging locations.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network
sieanr said:
While we're on the topic of the game repeating things ad-nauseam. In act 3, where you're with Naomi she explains how Solid Snake has DNA thats slightly different then Big Boss. Then at the end of the act she explains the exact same thing to Otacon and Snake, again, except snake acts surprised. I thought that was outright ridiculous. Besides the story my other major complaint with the game is the locations/level art direction. Most of them were incredibly generic representations of real places, and sometimes they had things that just shouldn't have been there, such as the Church in Act 3. But there were also lots of minor things you would've expected to see in those settings that you didn't. It just felt half-assed, like the cutscenes were more important to them then making engaging locations.

Well the cutscenes/story were and SHOULD be more important. Kojima had said several times that most of the creative effort and work went into making the story and the gameplay took a back seat to that. That is true for some other MGS games as well though not to such a degree but considering MGS is a story driven franchise I think it is only sensible for the story to be prioritzed.

rocketpig said:
phil said:
rocketpig said:
DragonLord said:
rocketpig said:
DragonLord said:
If a ps3 game receives a score of 5.5 or so from Rocketpig or Twestern, then it is most likely an 8.5 or higher in most other peoples books.

Yeah, because I mark down PS3 games because they're on a Sony console.

Nice troll job, BTW. You don't even have the slightest idea what I would give MGS4. Here's a hint: it's higher than 8/10. That could change depending on the ending but other than the story and dialogue, my impressions of the game are overwhelmingly positive.

But if it makes you feel better to think that people care enough to mark down games from a console they own just to spite fanboys, go for it. Paranoia rules, yo.

Lol, I actually prefer the 360 over the ps3 personally. I really do. I'm a jrpg fan and the ps3 doesn't have shit on the ps3--plain and simple fact. And not much coming in the foreseeable future. However, the 360 has lots of good JRPG's coming soon and Lost Odyssey is my favorite game of the next-gen. I've been banned from ps3forums and am actually posting over at Teamxbox recently. So I'm not much of a "Sony" fanboy.

I didn't mean it rudely. I meant it as a joke. So don't get so damn defensive and offended.

Ah, I misunderstood. My apologies.

It's not out of the ordinary for PS3 fanboys to assault me in this forum. I've done a good job of attacking their sacred cow on many occasions.

Hahahaha! Don't think so highly of yourself. Your problem isn't that you attack anyone's sacred cows, it's your utter hypocrisy. Your nitpicking of little bullshit details in PS3 games even if they don't matter, but seeming forgiveness of the same problems on every god damned 360 game ever released.

If you're so fucking clever, how is it you completely utterly failed to realize that the cutscenes in MGS are skippable, especially after you said they were the biggest problem? Because you're a troll whose full of shit.

Exactly what 360 game faults do I overlook? I think you're confusing "nitpicking" with "glaring game faults". If anyone here is overlooking faults in titles to make a system look better, it's you. I just call it like I see it.

Yet another PS3 owner telling me to skip the cutscenes... Yes, next time someone tells me about a movie they didn't like, I'll tell them to skip the first half of it if they don't like it but God forbid, do not complain about it if it was bad. Cheesy dialogue? Skip it. Awkward plot holes? Skip 'em. Horrible acting? Aw fuck it all, skip the whole damned thing. It's the lamest cop-out excuse to prevent someone from pointing out that MGS may not be as great as many of you like to think. Besides, I'm overall very positive about the game... But people like you don't notice things like that. You would rather classify everyone who attacks Your Precious as a "troll" for fear that they might have a valid point.

Nice personal insults, BTW. See you in two days.

PS. How do I "skip" mentally retarded AI? Just curious.

Just out of curiosity, what were you expecting from the AI?  So far it works exactly like it always has.  Caution if it finds a dead/unconscious body (even if you snipe the guy right next to him), and alert only when the AI actually sees you.  I haven't noticed any quirky AI behaviour other than the traditional MGS ones.

The game is very easy if you want to run and gun and are used to third person shooters.  The hard part is getting the Big Boss Emblem.  No health items, no continues, no alerts, no kills, Drebin doesn't sell non-lethal rounds, and you have to beat it on Big Boss Extreme in under 5 hours.

DTG said:
rocketpig said:
leo-j said:
So rocket pig?

Were you impressed? Was MGS4 better than what you expect it to be? Or worst?

Overall I'm pretty damned impressed. The storyline holes, dialogue, cutscene length, etc. were all things I expected going into the game. I still think they suck but it's like going to the dentist not expecting pain... In the case of MGS4, I'm there for the lollipop afterwards.

And that lollipop delivers. Kojima's little touches are brilliant (the egg scenes, MGS1 intro, "Otacon, get a grip on yourself!", etc. are always enjoyable) and the presentation is unrivaled in videogames IMO. The gameplay is massively improved, too. The controls are finally where they should be and the diversity in gameplay (W00t Metal Gear Rex FTW!) is a welcome addition to the game.

PS. They took both of Raiden's arms. That made me smile. A lot. God, I hate that guy.

What did you think of the ending?

I'm not quite there yet (I just shut down GW and watched the Naomi video). I should be close.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/