By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Resistance 2 gameplay unveiled TONIGHT on GameTrailers TV!

Although the general graphics upgrade wasn't huge, and it won't be the prettiest title out this season, it did perform well in terms of numbers of actors and animation, it all looked very smooth.

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
CAL4M1TY said:
Looked alright, graphics were so-so but it's still a work in progress, I'm a little disappointed by the weapons though, all of the ones on show today seemed pretty standard from a company like insomniac.

Seemed to have alot of moments were it felt like the guy getting interviewed (Ted?) kept wanting to say "Geoff, STFU, you're hitting the nail on the head with some of these questions and we're trying to keep it under wraps" E.g When geoff asks if we are going to see the chimera homeworld.

I'm okay with the 2 weapons on hand system, it's done in CoD4 and Halo, and I've never felt restricted by those games, so long as there's interesting weapons to pick up on each level, I'll be happy.

How can you determine how good the game is going to look from watching something on your computer? (unless you did watch in on TV in HD)

They did not show any new weapons, the ones on show were just the auger and the standard assault rifle

I agree that geoff asked all the right questions, but got nothing out, let's hope we get more info at E3

About the graphics: Like I said, work in progress so I didn't judge it harshly, but you can tell graphical differences regardless of whether it's on a video on the computer or on tv. That's why games that look good (CoD4) tend to look better then games that didn't make leaps and bounds graphically (Ninja Gaiden 2) on a computer screen, the textures weren't great (everywhere), character models looked rather barren (Sentinels). Also, there's a reason IGN, GT and Gamespot do video reviews, to provide evidence about their assessment of the graphics, not just to have their faces on the internet e.g Crysis still looks amazing. BUT, again, it's a work in progress and while it looked slightly better then R1, it's not exactly competing with the likes of CoD4 and MGS4 (again I'm going to stress that I know it's a work in progress).

About the weapons: I haven't had a proper play of R1 yet (so I'm not sure if these were all R1 weapons), but I'm pretty sure there was the standard assault rifle, a sniper rifle (or at least a gun with a scope), a pump action shot gun AND what I assume was a chimera gun that hale was using to shoot that flying unit (could be the auger, but the weapon design looked different from the auger). Obviously it's insomniac, so there will be outlandish weapons, and there's probably a reason the ones on show today were not flashy.

Anyway, rewatched the video again just then, another interesting thing to note:

Ted mentioned that the statement "I have 19 hours to live" reffered to "at the time he's talking about it in the teaser trailer". So this can mean alot of things, depending on what point in time you think this trailer takes place. So it could be that hale has less than that amount of time left when the game starts OR it could mean Resistance 3 (assuming that it takes place at the end of R2). Like I said, haven't had a significant amount of time with R1 yet (it's on my to do list), so I'm not sure if it was known how long he had left to live (or even if being infected reduced his life span). I just thought it was interesting.

I wouldn't be worrying about the weapons, insomniac is still keeping them close to its chest

WOW the game looks awesome. What caught my eyes are the little details like enemies really running. This will be so cool. I hope they don't go the Halo, Gears and HEavenly Sword way and make it 6-8 hours long.

CAL4M1TY said:
Munkeh111 said:
CAL4M1TY said:

BUT, again, it's a work in progress and while it looked slightly better then R1, it's not exactly competing with the likes of CoD4 and MGS4 (again I'm going to stress that I know it's a work in progress).

Ted mentioned that the statement "I have 19 hours to live" reffered to "at the time he's talking about it in the teaser trailer". So this can mean alot of things, depending on what point in time you think this trailer takes place. So it could be that hale has less than that amount of time left when the game starts OR it could mean Resistance 3 (assuming that it takes place at the end of R2). Like I said, haven't had a significant amount of time with R1 yet (it's on my to do list), so I'm not sure if it was known how long he had left to live (or even if being infected reduced his life span). I just thought it was interesting.

You need to seriously go and play RFoM if you think this is only slightly upgraded, the textures the character models have been greatly improved over the first one.  The ligting from the video we just watched is a lot better considering there was very few if any special effects in the first RFoM.  RFoM is a basic looking FPS game with nothing real special going on. 

Then you mention CoD4, and how it looks better then R2, you must of  forgotten just how bad CoD4 looks.  The game has some of the worst textures possible, they look PS2 in some areas, the gun effects and audio also feel bare and lefeless as you go around the battlefield.  The game also suuports little to no special effects that this gen is known for.  I have played this game a lot as you can tell by my sig, i have also played the SP mode a lot.

Around the Network

Is it just my mediaplayer or was there tearing all over that game?

Im a little disappointed in the low-polygon/detail enemy character models. Dont look nearly as impressive as on the first screenshots from this game.

Environments looked good though, although very grey. I guess warzones are mostly brown and grey...

Slimebeast said:

Im a little disappointed in the low-polygon/detail enemy character models. Dont look nearly as impressive as on the first screenshots from this game.

Environments looked good though, although very grey. I guess warzones are mostly brown and grey...

Its not the game, its the GameTrailers video. This happens all the time when you watch their HD videos that only have the Flash option for watching them.

EDIT: I just watched most of the video again and it appears to keeps its Gold/Brown filters over most of the action, remember that we are watching a battle take place in a city that has been abandoned for about two years.  The game also lost lots of colour on its Gametrailer video.  If you watch the players on the wooded 60player map in the background you will notice that the filters appear to not be in effect and the game has a very bright and natural feel to it.

Regarding the Low-polygon/ detail models,you must remember that the game is coming out in late November, they have said that they have finished the story mode and are just working on graphics and other things to make the game look and feel better.  The games levels already look much better then CoD4, and they still have all this time until to make it look even better.

@slimebeast

your not alone...

looks very "meh" from that first look.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

looks superb, they have upped the grafix a lot. grafix in resistance one was brilliant especially towards the end when you are fighting in the colonys, totally solid and smooth.

i have a feeling of great greatness that will come from this game.

free online 8 player co-op

free online 60 player match ups

what a superb game this will be, along with little big planet and motorstorm pacifica, and if ferrari challenge releases soon, its gonna be one tip-top year

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Griffin said:
Slimebeast said:

Its not the game, its the GameTrailers video. This happens all the time when you watch their HD videos that only have the Flash option for watching them.

Regarding the Low-polygon/ detail models,you must remember that the game is coming out in late November, they have said that they have finished the story mode and are just working on graphics and other things to make the game look and feel better.  The games levels already look much better then CoD4, and they still have all this time until to make it look even better.

The last few months, or actually the last half of development time, extremely seldom does anything to textures and polygon models in a game.

They're polishing bugs and multiplayer balance now. Most of the grafix artists have probably already moved to a new project or they're playing golf.

@darth,

Your opinion doesn't count in this case, you're blinded by MGS4 lol.