By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Whats up with MGS4 install times?

I would have preferred the option for just one huge install, even if it was 10GB. My install currently only shows a 4GB file. The multiple installs is definitely one of the most curious aspects of the MGS4 code build, but I'm guessing it was to keep the HDD overhead down to a minimum at the cost of penalizing those who want to play in multiple sections of the game (or multiple players on one console).

Wii games have no major issues with load times because the games all use low resources relative to everything else this generation. All the games have load times, they're just shorter because there's less data to transfer to memory.

With 24MB of graphics memory, 3MB of texture memory and 64MB of main memory developers can only do so much.

I don't even see the point of comparing the Wii. The SNES had no load times thanks to the even lower overhead and chip based games. Is that supposed to make SNES games technically superior to those on the Wii?

Around the Network

You guys are way off base. A 12X DVD player reads at about 8-16 MB/s for a single layer disc. But that reading off a DVD9 (dual layer DVD which all XBox360 games come on), lowers the speed it can read data at. 2x Bluray is about 9 MB/s constant. A 5400 RPM 2.5" HDD won't have substantially higher throughput than a 12x DVD player, but what it does spank both disc player in is seek times.

I love MGS4. Probably the best game I've ever played. I love everything about it from the weapon customization, to the varied gameplay (the third and fourth acts were nice surprises), to the graphics/sound. And this install time, while fairly short (2-3 min per act) is incredibly annoying. I can't believe ANYONE would say it isn't. It hasn't really taken away from my enjoyment of the game, but it is still annoying to see. They really should have made it an option to install the whole damn thing for those of us with HDD space to spare.

BTW, MB = megabytes.  Mb = megabits.

Starcraft said:

This is a fairly misleading post.  The spin is strong with this one.

12x DVD drives run somewhere between 120 and 140MB/s, substantially faster than the 2 x Blu-Ray drive.  

Furthermore (and this applies both to Blu-Ray drives and HDD's) developers have to develop for the lowest common denominator of a console's installed base.  If the PS3's Blu-Ray drive gets any upgrades in future models, it can only be for media purposes, and will not in any way lead to improved games, as 14 million consoles out there (plus whatever is sold between now and the upgrade) would be unable to play them. 

Not as strong a spin as you put on it. The discussion is about install to HD so the post was appropriate.

funny how konami fails to mention the crappy dl times on the box

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

an option for installs would have been better , still a great game

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

It's because MGS4 is over 50GB on a dual layered BDdisc, its a very big game

Original install bothered me a little but I can't say the install between Acts do.
With me taking in average 5-6 hours to complete an Act the break is welcome to give me time for a smoke ( I actually do smoke breaks during acts too so really no biggy).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

I agree. Sony/devs need to come up with a better solution. To play games like MSG4 I would suffer through anything, but Hot Shot Golf requiring an install is a slap to the face. Optional install options please. I am in Act 2, but I already want to play Act 1 again. I would love to be able to demo the opening cinematic for friends without reinstalling the first Act.

@Starcraft - 12x dvd drive speed is between 66Mbps - 132Mbps not "between 120 and 140MB/s"

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Oh, this bull-shit again.

Well, I guess you can't please everyone.

One big long install - "It's too long, and takes up too much space"

Short small installs - "I want to go back to the beginning of the game, then skip right to the end of the game, this suxxxxx."

Can't freakin' win.

And all this Blu-Ray read speed bull-shit is old too. It's just fine, it's how developers use it.

Uncharted, a beautiful game, no installs. Now everyone, please shut up.

As long as your not constanly jumping between acts the installs are not a big deal ...

and they get shorter for the later acts ...