By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Whats up with MGS4 install times?

8 min 1st install is a little misleading with all the other install times oh well if its a great game who cares

Around the Network
starcraft said:
PooperScooper said:
Haha people were complaining about long install times and space used.

They then shorten the install times by having them more often and use less space by saving over previous installs... I can see how its a problem but so many people were bitching the other way the did it... I guess you cant please everyone.

Sure you can.

No installs.

That wouldnt please me... so My comment stands. I would rather have instals than a laggy crap game.

Yes pooper because all games not on the PS3 have been "laggy crap" games including the PS3 games that didn't require installs....

God it's annoying when people will defend stupid stuff just to back their company.

Nintendo fans admit their online system is stupid. Why can't Sony fans just admit forcing not just installs, but multiple installs between acts is retarded? It doesn't necessarily take away from the game. I'm sure your enjoyment of MGS4 is just as good but it's a glaring problem nonetheless.

azrm2k said:
Yes pooper because all games not on the PS3 have been "laggy crap" games including the PS3 games that didn't require installs....

God it's annoying when people will defend stupid stuff just to back their company.

Nintendo fans admit their online system is stupid. Why can't Sony fans just admit forcing not just installs, but multiple installs between acts is retarded? It doesn't necessarily take away from the game. I'm sure your enjoyment of MGS4 is just as good but it's a glaring problem nonetheless.

heh, well said. ITs ok though...its a lot easier to swallow load times for MGS4 than for a game like...Turok...

shams said:
Bizarre... have to be the first game ever(?) to do this - PC or console.

I really HATE how these games can't be just played from the disc itself - Wii games have no problem at all. Is the BluRay in the PS3 really that slow?

Uncharted is the best looking game on the ps3, and it has no installs AND no loading.  It's all in the way you use the disc.

Around the Network

eh i don't mind them cause the game is telling me i need a break and i go...you might be right. lol

Incert Witty Comment on how i'm a fanboy of all systems including PC here.

shams said:

I really HATE how these games can't be just played from the disc itself - Wii games have no problem at all. Is the BluRay in the PS3 really that slow?

You trolling again shams?

All PS3s come with an HDD, which has a throughput of between 150 MB/s and 300 MB/s.  This is way faster than the 360's DVD drive, and of course, way faster than the Wii's drive.

Would be a shame not to use it, really.

The 2 x Blu-ray drive runs at 72 Mbit/s.  Much slower.  No doubt later versions of the hardware will include faster drives.

PSN - hanafuda

It seems the reason they only install one act at a time is that the space for the game would probably be over 10gb if every act was installed on there. I don't agree with the idea but the option would have been nice to have (I got the 80gb bundle so space isn't an issue for me)

azrm2k - Yeah install times are ridiculous. I never said they weren't. But obviously developers haven't gotten as good with the hardware as companies such as naughty dog and insomniac.

If it came down to install times or developers releasing a game without them that is half asses I'd chose the install times.

Before you accuse me of blindly sticking up for a company why don't you understand where I come from next time. Comprehend?

I really think it's too much for me to ask from EA to actually put effort into their work.

hanafuda said:
shams said:

You trolling again shams?

All PS3s come with an HDD, which has a throughput of between 150 MB/s and 300 MB/s. This is way faster than the 360's DVD drive, and of course, way faster than the Wii's drive.

Would be a shame not to use it, really.

The 2 x Blu-ray drive runs at 72 Mbit/s. Much slower. No doubt later versions of the hardware will include faster drives.

This is a fairly misleading post.  The spin is strong with this one.

12x DVD drives run somewhere between 120 and 140MB/s, substantially faster than the 2 x Blu-Ray drive.  

Furthermore (and this applies both to Blu-Ray drives and HDD's) developers have to develop for the lowest common denominator of a console's installed base.  If the PS3's Blu-Ray drive gets any upgrades in future models, it can only be for media purposes, and will not in any way lead to improved games, as 14 million consoles out there (plus whatever is sold between now and the upgrade) would be unable to play them. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS