By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Whats up with MGS4 install times?

Actually, I'd just like to point out that Uncharted does use installs. It installs roughly two gigs of data. However, it is done in the background, and is why you can really hear that disc spin when you first play the game. The install is deleted after you close the game, though.

I get this from the fact that the Uncharted box states that it requires 2gb of spare space on the HDD, the disc drive of the PS3 is going mental when you start playing the games, the fact that there is no install data left on the PS3 when you quit the game, the long loading time at the start of the game, and the fact that Evan Wells stated "we are able to achieve no load times through streaming the data straight off of the Blu-ray drive, and the PS3's HDD" at E3 last year.

Around the Network

I think that Uncharted uses up to 2 gigs of HD to cache from the Blu-ray which is the ideal solution. I think the 3 ways that have been used so far to deal with the speed issue is caching to the HD (Uncharted), install to the hard drive (MGS4, DMC4, GTA4), write the data multiple times to different portions of the Blu-ray (Oblivion).

12x DVD speed issues are overcome by writing the game data to the outer portion of the dvd. Aren't all 360 games writtin on dual layer dvd's? If so this drops the speed to the equivalant of an 8x dvd. The PS3 can play dvds at the speed of an 8x drive as well. I don't know if there is any technical reason why PS3 games can't be on dvds, other than the fact that Sony makes money on blu-ray production.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.