By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people call the 360, JRPG console this generation?

rocketpig said:
1) This is a ridiculous conversation. No console will have the quantity nor quality of JRPGs that the 360 enjoys until 2010 at the earliest. Even after that point, it won't be the PS3. If any console passes the 360, it will be the Wii.

2) You go ahead and buy on potential, I'll continue to buy systems that have games I want to play now.

3) Then again, I shouldn't be surprised at this topic. Tombi never says anything positive about the 360. This thread reeks of jealousy.

1) The Wii will likely pass the 360 in quantity in 2009. The PS3 will probably pass it in quantity 6 months after the release of FFXIII at the latest. Quality is subjective, don't really want to comment on that. 

2) I think people have misunderstood what I was trying to say, maybe I didn't explain it well enough. If you can only buy one console this generation (for financial reasons etc.) and your only interest is JRPG games, then is the 360 the right console for you? It clearly is now, but in a year or so you will probably be wishing you had bought a Wii (or if you're a massive FF fan like me, a PS3). 

3) Well it just happens that the 360 doesn't really cater for my tastes as well as the PS3 or Wii. The only games that interest me on the 360 are Kameo and LO. Plus the failure rate is unacceptable for the amount of money a 360 cost. I expect that sort of reliability from a £10 MP3 player, not a £250 console. 

Around the Network

UGH.

Its kinda like saying...Car company A makes a hybrid car. Car company B makes a hybrid car next year. Then for the rest of the cars lifecycle, Car company B claims car A is better because it got a year head start. Yeah, so what?

By the time Sony catches up in RPG's, Xbox will be releasing other types of games...and you will be here saying "Well they had a head start, give it time and PS3 will make those too"

RolStoppable said:
tombi123 said:

Well as long as that person loves lots of jumping I am sure they will love NBM

By the way Austria will be knocked out later on today

Maybe, maybe not. Just in case it happens how does that feel? You are from England, so you should know.

Terrible. On the plus side it got Steve Mclaren sacked.

tombi123 said:
rocketpig said:
1) This is a ridiculous conversation. No console will have the quantity nor quality of JRPGs that the 360 enjoys until 2010 at the earliest. Even after that point, it won't be the PS3. If any console passes the 360, it will be the Wii.

2) You go ahead and buy on potential, I'll continue to buy systems that have games I want to play now.

3) Then again, I shouldn't be surprised at this topic. Tombi never says anything positive about the 360. This thread reeks of jealousy.

1) The Wii will likely pass the 360 in quantity in 2009. The PS3 will probably pass it in quantity 6 months after the release of FFXIII at the latest. Quality is subjective, don't really want to comment on that. 

2) I think people have misunderstood what I was trying to say, maybe I didn't explain it well enough. If you can only buy one console this generation (for financial reasons etc.) and your only interest is JRPG games, then is the 360 the right console for you? It clearly is now, but in a year or so you will probably be wishing you had bought a Wii (or if you're a massive FF fan like me, a PS3). 

3) Well it just happens that the 360 doesn't really cater for my tastes as well as the PS3 or Wii. The only games that interest me on the 360 are Kameo and LO. Plus the failure rate is unacceptable for the amount of money a 360 cost. I expect that sort of reliability from a £10 MP3 player, not a £250 console. 

I don't get this thread. You just sound to me like someone who hates the 360 and when you say you are an rpg fan, what you really mean is; you are a Final Fantasy fan.

Why do people think Oyvoyvoyv is hard to write? You repeat 3 letters 3 times.

For JRPGs, I think this is the case.

Ps3: 2 released, 5 unreleased (unless Oblivion is JRPG.)
Wii: 4 released, 4 unreleased
X360: 5 released, 7 unreleased

This may very well be incorrect, as what I think is RPG may not be, and GR may not be updated

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

I would just like to state that:

1) The only JRPG's I care about are FF, DQ and SRPG's. I am not jealous or bitter at all. And yes I will be buying a DS when DQIX comes out.

2) I have stated at least three times now, that the 360 is the console to get NOW for JRPG's.

3) This thread is not about how many JRPG's are out now, it is about the whole generation and which ONE console to buy for JRPG's this generation and why that ONE console isn't the 360.

tombi123 said:
rocketpig said:

1) So the Wii is going to get ~10 quality JRPGs in the next 16 months? Do you pay any attention to the developmental timeframe of JRPGs? Here's a hint: It's a lot longer than 16 months. As for the PS3 comment, that's just laughable. The system doesn't even have one real JRPG released in the West yet. Don't expect everything to change with the release of FFXIII.

2) Yes, the 360 is still the right console for you if you like JPRGs. After all, it has four or five good ones to play right now. If the person doesn't plan on buying a console for 12 months, the situation might be different. After all, there's nothing more rewarding than dropping several hundred dollars on a console and then staring at it for over a year while you wait for it to get games from your favorite genre.

3) I don't care if it caters to your personal tastes or not, my original post still stands. If you truly didn't care about the 360 you would simply ignore it, not continually go out of your way to bash it. You sound like an embittered PS3 owner who is crying about the lack of JRPGs on his system while trying to undermine the system that does have games from the genre because you don't like it.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

If you go by sales, this is the case.

Best selling JRPG in Japan on 360: Blue Dragon - 210K. Other sellers: Lost Oddysseus 100K, Eternal Sonata 79K

Ps3: Valkyria Chronicles: 125K, Disagea 3 (isn't on GR, will update this on other list) 105K

Worldwide:

X360: Lost Ody - 720K, Blue Drag - 490K, Mass Effect (I didn't count this as JRPG, but I dunno really, so I put it up) 1.91M

Ps3: Valkyria Chronicles: 125K, Disagea 3 (isn't on GR, will update this on other list) 105K

Wii: Dragon Quest Towers, 660K and Chocobo mystery, 110K

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

rocketpig said:
This is a ridiculous conversation. No console will have the quantity nor quality of JRPGs that the 360 enjoys until 2010 at the earliest. Even after that point, it won't be the PS3. If any console passes the 360, it will be the Wii.

You go ahead and buy on potential, I'll continue to buy systems that have games I want to play now.

Then again, I shouldn't be surprised at this topic. Tombi never says anything positive about the 360. This thread reeks of jealousy.

I was going to have a long-winded comparison of metacritic ratings, IGN release dates, JRPG to console to release time ratios etc.

But those three short paragraphs summed up my feelings on the matter exactly. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

ToastyJaguar said:
tombi123 said:
rocketpig said:

I don't get this thread. You just sound to me like someone who hates the 360 and when you say you are an rpg fan, what you really mean is; you are a Final Fantasy fan.

This thread has nothing to do with me or my tastes. I don't think I have stated anywhere in this thread that I am an RPG fan and certainly not in the OP.