By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people call the 360, JRPG console this generation?

Okay, just realized GRs list is far from complete. By VGC, I think this is the number.

Wii - 5 out, 9 not out.

X360 - Same as GR, 5 out, 7 not.

Ps3 - same as GR 4 and 4

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

Get over it already. 360 has more jrpg now and it's the console to get if you like jrpg.
Microsoft has shown this week that they will continue to bring more games for all genre.

You don't want multiple consoles and love jrpg, then get 360.

tombi123 said:
ToastyJaguar said:
tombi123 said:
rocketpig said:
1) This is a ridiculous conversation. No console will have the quantity nor quality of JRPGs that the 360 enjoys until 2010 at the earliest. Even after that point, it won't be the PS3. If any console passes the 360, it will be the Wii.

2) You go ahead and buy on potential, I'll continue to buy systems that have games I want to play now.

3) Then again, I shouldn't be surprised at this topic. Tombi never says anything positive about the 360. This thread reeks of jealousy.

1) The Wii will likely pass the 360 in quantity in 2009. The PS3 will probably pass it in quantity 6 months after the release of FFXIII at the latest. Quality is subjective, don't really want to comment on that.

2) I think people have misunderstood what I was trying to say, maybe I didn't explain it well enough. If you can only buy one console this generation (for financial reasons etc.) and your only interest is JRPG games, then is the 360 the right console for you? It clearly is now, but in a year or so you will probably be wishing you had bought a Wii (or if you're a massive FF fan like me, a PS3).

3) Well it just happens that the 360 doesn't really cater for my tastes as well as the PS3 or Wii. The only games that interest me on the 360 are Kameo and LO. Plus the failure rate is unacceptable for the amount of money a 360 cost. I expect that sort of reliability from a £10 MP3 player, not a £250 console.

I don't get this thread. You just sound to me like someone who hates the 360 and when you say you are an rpg fan, what you really mean is; you are a Final Fantasy fan.

This thread has nothing to do with me or my tastes. I don't think I have stated anywhere in this thread that I am an RPG fan and certainly not in the OP.

Then why did you start this thread?

Oh, that's right, to tell people to not buy a system you don't like for games of a genre you never claimed to be a fan of.

*sigh*

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

At the end of the day, Tombi's key assumptions seem to be thus:

-Due to its massive sales, the Wii will get a tonne of quality JRPG's
-Due to FFXIII, the PS3 will get a tonne of quality JRPG's.

Here is the problem with one: At the very least, the bulk of those JRPG's are 18 months away, and thats if third party devs decide they can sell them on the casual wii base.

Here is the problem with number two: This isn't the PS2. Devs are TERRIFIED of the PS3. Its not selling hardware fast and when SRPG's come out, they bomb. If Final Fantasy XIII spurs JRPG production for the PS3, those JRPG's are up too three years away. FFXIII won't be out for a year minimum in the West (hell probably not in Japan either). Then, IF FFXIII pushes consoles to JRPG fans devs might start to make quality JRPG's for the PS3 and they will be at least two years beyond THAT.

Look at it this way Tombi. You can pay $350 for a Pro now and play 10 great JRPG's in the next year. If you spend $400 on a PS3 right now, you can play WKS and MAYBE FFXIII in the next year.

But if you buy the Pro and play all those other games, IF those JRPG's ever come to the PS3 (and lets face it, they won't be exclusive anyway, Microsoft's console sells enough JRPG's to warrant a quick port, even without moneyhatting) it will be when the PS3 is dirt cheap and you can pick it up on the fly.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

mysticD said:

Well it's still 8 more than what PS3 have at the moment.

And that total  will increase by next year.

Instead of being a troll if you want to play JRPG instead of getting all jealous and mad, why don't you just save up for a 360.  It's not that much and recent hardware revision prove the console is just as reliable as the PS3.

Or you can just continue to troll because for some reason it's MS fault that PS3 is not getting any JRPG.

I'm not saying the 360 isn't the JRPG console this gen. Because if people want JRPGs, they should get a 360. But technically it is kind of MS's fault the PS3 isn't getting any JRPGs because of their moneyhatting. If MS has the bigger wallet and moneyhats all the JRPGs away, where does Sony have to go to? Granted it's SCEJ's fault too for just letting it happen.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
tombi123 said:

This thread has nothing to do with me or my tastes. I don't think I have stated anywhere in this thread that I am an RPG fan and certainly not in the OP.

Oh, that's right, to tell people to not buy a system you don't like for games of a genre you never claimed to be a fan of.

*sigh*

Look at the title of this thread. Loads of people claim that the 360 will be the JRPG console this generation. I don't believe that statement is true at all. I think the Wii will be JRPG console this generation. Afterall, it sells by far the best in Japan. 

All I wanted to know was why people keep saying that the 360 will be JRPG console this genration (as in not now, but the whole generation).

Lone_Canis_Lupus said:
mysticD said:

Well it's still 8 more than what PS3 have at the moment.

And that total will increase by next year.

Instead of being a troll if you want to play JRPG instead of getting all jealous and mad, why don't you just save up for a 360. It's not that much and recent hardware revision prove the console is just as reliable as the PS3.

Or you can just continue to troll because for some reason it's MS fault that PS3 is not getting any JRPG.

I'm not saying the 360 isn't the JRPG console this gen. Because if people want JRPGs, they should get a 360. But technically it is kind of MS's fault the PS3 isn't getting any JRPGs because of their moneyhatting. If MS has the bigger wallet and moneyhats all the JRPGs away, where does Sony have to go to? Granted it's SCEJ's fault too for just letting it happen.

Its not Microsoft fault its Sony's.  You heard them before the PS3 launched. They thought people would pay up regardless of price and that devs would flock to their system.

tombi123 said:

Look at the title of this thread. Loads of people claim that the 360 will be the JRPG console this generation. I don't believe that statement is true at all. I think the Wii will be JRPG console this generation. Afterall, it sells by far the best in Japan.

All I wanted to know was why people keep saying that the 360 will be JRPG console this genration (as in not now, but the whole generation).

You may have gotten away with this anti-360 troll thread if you'd stuck to the Wii argument.  But criticising the 360's JRPG line-up AND suggesting that ANYONE that isn't a hardcore FF fan should look to the PS3 over the 360 for JRPG's anytime soon was just too see-through.

tombi123 said:
rocketpig said:
tombi123 said:

*sigh*

Look at the title of this thread. Loads of people claim that the 360 will be the JRPG console this generation. I don't believe that statement is true at all. I think the Wii will be JRPG console this generation. Afterall, it sells by far the best in Japan.

Yeah, that's all you wanted to know.

tombi123 said:
If, like most people you can only afford one console per generation, then getting a 360 for the JRPG's is very foolish.

As for the Wii, I haven't seen one person here say that the 360 will definitely finish out the generation as the JRPG king. Most think that the Wii will gain that crown later in the generation. Does the 360 have a chance? Sure, it has quite a headstart but that will probably be surpassed by the Wii sooner or later. As for the PS3, no chance. I don't see it happening until well after the 360 is retired by MS and by then, it won't matter. Many hardcore players will be transitioning to newer systems by then.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

starcraft said:
At the end of the day, Tombi's key assumptions seem to be thus:

-Due to its massive sales, the Wii will get a tonne of quality JRPG's
-Due to FFXIII, the PS3 will get a tonne of quality JRPG's.

Here is the problem with one: At the very least, the bulk of those JRPG's are 18 months away, and thats if third party devs decide they can sell them on the casual wii base.

Here is the problem with number two: This isn't the PS2. Devs are TERRIFIED of the PS3. Its not selling hardware fast and when SRPG's come out, they bomb. If Final Fantasy XIII spurs JRPG production for the PS3, those JRPG's are up too three years away. FFXIII won't be out for a year minimum in the West (hell probably not in Japan either). Then, IF FFXIII pushes consoles to JRPG fans devs might start to make quality JRPG's for the PS3 and they will be at least two years beyond THAT.

Look at it this way Tombi. You can pay $350 for a Pro now and play 10 great JRPG's in the next year. If you spend $400 on a PS3 right now, you can play WKS and MAYBE FFXIII in the next year.

But if you buy the Pro and play all those other games, IF those JRPG's ever come to the PS3 (and lets face it, they won't be exclusive anyway, Microsoft's console sells enough JRPG's to warrant a quick port, even without moneyhatting) it will be when the PS3 is dirt cheap and you can pick it up on the fly.

If you can use flawed logic, so can he:

This all was flawed logic, but you were right (well, Dodoce was, but you used the logic as well) on pretty much all accounts except the PS3 having no ability to move JRPGs and the watching it on the Zune thing. You made a lot of assumptions in these claims. Tombi is doing the same thing. So Pot, meet kettle.

I don't claim credit for this idea, Dodoce posted it a while back but I couldn't find the thread:

-If this game was on the PS3, Sony would want us to know about it already. This holds for both PS3 exclusive and PS3/360 multiplatform. Sony is still largely trading on potential as far as games go, ESPECIALLY in Japan where sales are dismal.

If MS would wait on announcing it, why would Sony? Flawed logic.

-IF the game was on the 360, there would be more reason for Microsoft to hold off on an announcement. As we have seen with Lost Odyssey and to a lesser extent Eternal Sonata, Japanese gamers are immediately discounting amazing Japanese-orientated games when they are announced 360 exclusive. However if you hype Star Ocean 4 non-stop, building up the perception in hardcore Japanese gamer's minds that it is a must have and THEN announce it for the 360, they will be more inclined to pick up the console for the game, rather than switching off.

You were right on this, but it was still flawed logic because I've seen virtually NO hype for Star Ocean 4. MS still waited to announce, so I'll give you this one.

-It must also be noted that the PS3 has shown NO ability to shift JRPG's in the West, whereas the 360 has shown some (limited) ability to do so. Much of this ridiculous idea that the PS3 can sell JRPG's right now comes from the PS2's legacy.

This is flawed logic because the PS3 didn't have any good JRPGs (or probably any at all) at that time. You can't assume on it's ability to sell JRPGs if we haven't seen it. 

-Something about "So what if we can watch it on the PSP? I can watch it on my Zune too.

Do I have to say it? Flawed logic, you assumed just because you could watch it on the Zune SE/Tri-Ace had intention for you watching it on the Zune.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus