By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people call the 360, JRPG console this generation?

tombi123 said:
ToastyJaguar said:
tombi123 said:
So if I can only afford one console this entire generation, and I am a big JRPG fan, you would all recommend me the 360?...

yeah

Why? The Wii will have more and the PS3 has the biggest...

well you have a ps3 so good for you.

Around the Network

..And Spectral Force 3
...And Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
....And Enchanted Arms
.....And Culdcept Saga
......And Operation: Darkness

Do you see where I'm going? Currently, the 360 has, or has coming to it (JRPG wise):

Enchanted Arms
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Eternal Sonata
CuldCept Saga
Tales of Verspria
Spectral Force 3
Operation: Darkness
Kingdom Under Fire
Star Ocean 4
Infinite Undiscovery
Cry On
Magna Carta 2

..Off of the top of my head. That's just JRPGs. That's just announced projects, and there are (I am sure) far more coming.

Will the 360 be the lead JRPG console this generation? It's up in the air. The PS3 surely doesn't have the firepower, or guts to go out there, and secure the games needed to be the dominant JRPG console. They do, however have the biggest ones at the moment.

The Wii, on the other hand, *should* be the lead RPG console. However, the number of planned RPGs, as far as I've seen isn't anywhere near the quality, or quantity of the 360 at the moment. I am sure the Wii *could* beat the 360 in terms of quality JRPGs. But lets face it: that will be atleast 2 years away. How can a console be the "Dominant JRPG console" if it's been around for 2 years and has yet to have one major outside JRPG come to the system?

So yes, for now, the 360 is both the leader in JRPGs (and obviously WRPGs)..And looks to be for another year or two. With that being said, why wouldn't you buy a 360? This isn't the NBA Draft where you choose based on an idea of potential. Microsoft could keep moneyhatting JRPGs 'till the cows come home, and never give the Wii or PS3 a snowballs chance for the JRPG race. Maybe they won't? But until we know (which is years away), why not actually play JRPGs NOW? Rather than TWO YEARS FROM NOW?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

RolStoppable said:
tombi123 said:
So if I can only afford one console this entire generation, and I am a big JRPG fan, you would all recommend me the 360?...

Yes, because I don't like you.

That's how you do things with people you don't like. I've bought Ninja Bread Man to give it as a gift to someone's birthday.

Well as long as that person loves lots of jumping I am sure they will love NBM

By the way Austria will be knocked out later on today

I think you're underestimating MSFT's desire to keep JRPG's off of the PS3 this generation. The JRPG's wont come to the PS3 because Microsoft will keep paying for exclusivity, whether they sell or not.

Unless Sony starts tossing up some money, buys a new company, or SCEJ gets off their asses and produces some, JRPG's wont make it to other consoles because Microsoft will pay to keep it that way.

RolStoppable said:
tombi123 said:

Yes, because I don't like you.

That's how you do things with people you don't like. I've bought Ninja Bread Man to give it as a gift to someone's birthday.

I was wondering why I got a present from you... 

Anyway, what makes a console "The JRPG Console" of the generation anyway? 

Around the Network

n

tombi123 said:
ToastyJaguar said:
tombi123 said:

yeah

Why? The Wii will have more and the PS3 has the biggest...

Where is this list that the Wii will have more RPGs, where are the names and release dates?

Where's the Metacritic and Gamerankings scores of PS3's biggest RPGs? Where are the confirmed launch dates for the PS3's biggest JRPGs?

Whereas, I can give you the launch dates of the next 2 big JRPGs on the 360, and both have great pedigree, and are LAUNCHING THIS YEAR.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

White Knight Chronicles (exclusive)
Final Fantasy XIII (exclusive)
Eternal Sonata
Disgea 3 (exclusive)
Folklore (exclusive)
Valkyria Chronicles (exclusive)
Enchanted Arms
Last Remenant

bah

Sony really needs to announce JRPGS this E3.

I know you told us not to mention the DS, but if you are a JRPG fan, buy a DS and/or a PS2/PSP. Heck, buy a SNES, as that one had a legendary amount of quality JRPG's as well.
Thanks to Microsoft's money we won't remember this generation as ''that generation in which JRPG's died on consoles and went to handhelds''. Now we will remember next generation as that.

That list of JRPG's on the 360 up there is completely and utterly crushed by the battalion of over 80 JRPG's on the DS, and most of them have at least SOME quality.

If you're looking for WRPG's though, welcome to the second biggest genre on the 360.

Was Folklore a JRPG?  I like to play my games on a big T.V. not a small little handheld.