By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Wii Fit launch thread

I already know how the launch is going to turn out. Whatever Nintendo puts out, is what nintendo sells and any store selling wii fit is going to be a mad house, while the supplies last. What I am kind of curious about is how the Wii Fit Tour is going. Are there going to be any celebrities? What kind of stuff is Nintendo giving out? How many people will show up and what kind of additonal momentum will it create, not that Wii Fit needs any additional momentum. I'm almost tempted to show up to find out. The tour suppose to be going on at a jazz festival where I live. I'm not exactly sure what the connection is and how that helps them reach their target audience. Maybe Nintendo is trying to start a Wii Fit Jazzercising phenomeom.

Around the Network
tabsina said:
seems like wii fit is going to be a failure in USA

MISS Confirmed

Why do people always quote things that were never said?

*Sigh*

I've actually heard women on the street talking about it, along with Mario kart. 

ioi said:

So here it is - we want photos, which stores were selling them, how many they had etc etc - all anecdotal info in here!

We hope to have some first day sales up tomorrow...

No photos, sorry. But I CAN tell you that my local Hinesville, Ga. Wal-Mart had a healthy supply of Wii Fit ready to go at launch on Midnight (I heard it was about 20 to 30). And I happened to be the first one to get one too. No display. Just brought out of security clearance from the back and placed in a shopping cart behind the register. Almost like they were smuggling Wii Fits covertly or something. Hahahaha!

I expected some kind of lengthy line but surprisingly it was pretty small. Two women about 30-ish 40-ish, and a 30-ish guy were in line at Midnight. I was actually last in line but since I work there (not as an employee but in another capacity) they entrusted me to carry the package to checkout since electronics was shut down register wise after the managers inventory the cash. The others had to have the electronics representative walk them to the front. We all got to the checkout at about the same time so it didn't matter.

Like the original Wii box, the Wii Fit package (with handle like a suitcase) was much heavier than it would look on sight. Got to be that Balance Board.

Throughout the night a shopper here and a shopper there picked up a Wii Fit. One guy picked up 5 (2 at first then returning for 3 more) talking on the phone in an see-through attempt to scalp and resell. I hate guys like those. He tried to pass it off as him buying for multiple family members but that was bullshit. The Grade-A kind.

Hid it in my car under unassuming newspapers, plastic bags, and other trash to dispel stealing while at work. Got off in the morning and drove home.

Tried it out this morning & one thing is clear.

I am out of shape!!

I'm pretty limber and flexible but horribly poor on balancing on one leg and don't even get me started on my pushups!

I hate exercise though I'm not adverse to being a little active (I run sometimes especially when late for work and jump over things from time to time). So this will be the perfect thing to get me more in shape. Not for shape or size but merely for strength and balance.

BTW: First Wii Fit Age is 46. I am 32 years old. GRRRR!!!

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

I just bought mine at Target. There was a line of about 25-30 people and they sold all 40 copies they had in about 30 seconds.

It was kind of messed up because there were some older people in the line who didn't get any copies even though they were there earlier, as target did not hand out numbers or put a limit on quantities(some people had up to 3 copies and a few others took two).

Looks like you americans love to burn that fat

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network

Oh and there were a few wii's there as well 5 or 6 I believe and 4 of them were sold.

In Canada - Picked mine up at a a smaller Zellers, no lineup before the store opened, but 2 more people asked for it while I was paying - 6 in stock (that I could see, also the flyers only guaranteed a Min. of 5 per store)

Trying to be slightly scientific I made the following estimates. Store numbers are from Wikipedia, units per store is anecdotal. Help with forgotten outlets or estimates of units will be appreciated.

Store

Outlets

Est #

Total

Wal Mart

Super Wal Mart

Sams Club

BestBuy

Target

GameStop/EB Games

Blockbuster

Circuit City

Sears

Game Crazy

Toys R Us

KMart

Costco

US Retail Total

I know very little about the retail situation in Canada and Mexico so I'm sure someone can help.

Pre-Orders

VGChartz500,000
USSee above607,000
Canada(Estimated by Population vs US)62,000
Mexico(Estimated by population adjusted by per capita income)50,000
 Est. Total1,219,000

Judging from what I'm hearing on this forum, the retail will be gone within the first day or so. Guessing that the outlets I didn't include might cover any sales not made today I'm going to estimate:

First Day 1.25M
And going on the rumor of quick follow up shipments I'm going to estimate:
First Week 2.00M
First Month 3.00M

My wife got our preorder at BestBuy. Picked it up at 11. Apparently all copies that weren't reserved were sold to people waiting in line.

A friend of mine tells me that WalMart was out by 8:30 am. Target still had a few though.

Lets see how it goes

IMHO....Wii Fit was a complete waste of money & is quite boring now (I was very excited for it though).....but my mum enjoys it so...oh well

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey