By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Just got a Game Boy, what games do I want?

She took great care of the hand held... although that graffiti at the back?!?!? Did VGC exist back in the days?

Have fun playing!!!

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

God, it feels like I've traveled back in time 15 years.
OT, Tetris, Super Mario Land, and Link's Awakening are good starting points.

Damn. I went the to local gaming store that still has some GB games, and inspected their selection. Everything falls into two categories:

1. Really good stuff for 20-40€. They had all the Pokemon games, Megaman, Zelda, etc.
2. Really shitty stuff for 5-10€. Nothing worth even trying.

I thought I'd be able to find something for much cheaper than that, so looks like some stalking of online auctions is in order. Pokemon Red should give me plenty to do until I find something.

Oh, and the reflection is just light coming through my curtains. My computer is on a desk under a window, and the webcam in this thing is the best quality camera I own. =P

Thanks for help, everyone.

Haha had mine for years, then had about 8 lines of vertical pixels go dead on each side, but i got lucky, got another one for $2 at a yard sale. I still have the box and instruction book, plus the box with Mari 1 and 2 Warioland 1, metroid II, Mega Man 1, you know the classics.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

My favorite Game Boy games the I would recommend:
-Super Mario Land
-Donkey Kong Land
-Pokemon Gold or Silver (the best pokemon games)
-Pokemon Pinball (I had so much fun with that...)

Around the Network

Get Gargoyles Quest. Since Rubang didnt mention this game, his opinion is invalid. It just doesnt count. Gargoyles are the way to go.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

First of all, congratulations on finding one in good condition: the things can take a pounding better than a tank, but all of the ones I see now have definitely seen their fair share of abuse. They still work though...

Anyhow, make sure to pick up the Game and Watch games if you can find them. You'll sink countless hours into each mode, and may find yourself missing your stop more than once.

Mine is missing a lot of vertical lines as well. It's kinda sad actually. The first one I bought was missing a row of lines. I took it back to the store and they argued with me to try and convince me that it was normal and not a big deal. So I called Nintendo from the store and told them what was going on (while the store clerk was listening in) they asked to talk to the clerk and I ended up getting a replacement.

About a few years of inactivity and somehow my replacement lost a bunch of lines. :( I'm sad....

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Well since people are talking shit, I'll add my uh... support for the Gargoyle's Quest recommendation. It's a really solid game, but I won't put my 105% Rubang guarantee on it like I will with the 5 games in my previous post. It's more like an 80% recommendation.

But also... I want to warn you about the handheld MegaMan games. I played 2 of 'em, and don't remember which ones, and I found them to be pretty mediocre. I mean, they're classic 2-D MegaMan style, but it's like Capcom put all their effort into the NES games and the GB ones were an afterthought. If they're super cheap, definitely pick one of them up, but I'd be more picky about the price with those games. If somebody charges a hefty price just because they know the MegaMan franchise name, they're full of shit. It's not handheld Mario/Zelda quality.

But of course, if you're a huge 2-D MegaMan fan, discard everything I just said.

And for any of these, I'd look around on eBay and shit before you even go shopping. Retro games are either super cheap or super expensive, online or in real life. It's like the sellers are either ignorant of the value or ignorant of the suckitude. They never give them the decent middle prices they're worth.

Damn. That's fucked up DarkKnight, but awesome about the phone call to Nintendo in that clerk's face.

Mine's from 1989 and works fine. I have 2 from 1989, and 1 from 1994 that works fine too. And one of mine has been completely soaked in rain and stopped working, but worked as soon as it dried. I really dont' know what could kill one of these beasts.