By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Just got a Game Boy, what games do I want?

Pokemon Yellow, just because of pikachu.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Around the Network

Ok, let's cut to the chase. Here are the 5 Game Boy games you NEED.

Link's Awakening is the best Zelda game, the last hurrah of 2D Zeldas before Ocarina made the franchise start over in 3-D. It has the best plot, best items, jumping, some sidescrolling platforming sections, crazy cameos all over for great comic relief, amazing music, and the best plot. If you like Zelda at all, you need this.

Kirby's Pinball Land is the best pinball game ever. If you like pinball at all, you need this.

Super Mario Land is nothing like other Mario games. Miyamoto handled the console Mario games, while Yokoi handled this portable one. It makes the style and personality completely different. Great level design, amazing music, and even some rad vehicle stages. 2 and 3 are good as well, but not half as unique and amazing. It's also the first game with Daisy ever. If you like Mario at all, you need this.

Game and Watch Gallery is a well-organized and polished collection of a few of G&W games. All the games are impossible and you fight for high scores and nothing else. If you like super-retro gaming at all, you need this.

Donkey Kong (sometimes known as Donkey Kong '94) is seriously one of the best games of all time. It starts with the original Donkey Kong levels (already worth your money), as world 1, and then throws in an assload of new worlds and levels that get ridiculously longer and more complex and radical. And it also has the Mario 64 jumps (backflip, triple jump, etc.), and has a handstand move. It just goes on forever and is incredible.

I could list several more, but my recommendations would be going from 105% to about 95%. Seriously, these games will be just a few bucks each nowadays. These are worth your money. If I wanted you to play something that wasn't worth your money, I'd just mail it to you with a love letter, sweetie.

Lolz I also have that combo game =p. I got it from russians then 108 games in 1. If you then bought it you would found out that their were only 9 games on it and that the others are the same but with a other title.

PS: That tank game was great.

You got the original Gameboy that came out nearly 20 years ago? You must really like old school games very much

Get LoZ: Links Awakening.

Arguably the single greatest Zelda game of all time, thus making it arguably the single greatest game ever. Its amazing. Really. It is.

Around the Network

Thanks for the input, guys. Damn that's a lot of stuff. =P

Definitely going to look into at least Megaman, Kirby Pinball, and Super Mario Land. I never had the patience to finish any of the old school Zelda, Megaman, Castlevania, or Metroid games on the NES, but maybe having them on a handheld in a train or something with nothing better to do will help.

Ultimately it'll probably come down to what I can get for cheap enough, though. =/

Is it grey? Mine is turning yellowy-gray

For games, I remember liking:
Dr. Mario
Fortified Zone
Nintendo World Cup
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Alright, definitley Link's Awakening and Super Mario Land 1 & 2.

And, for one that no one's mentioned yet, try hunting down a platformer (this was a port from a NES game) called Alfred Chicken! That is such a fun game :)

TomaTito said:
Is it grey? Mine is turning yellowy-gray

Nope, this thing is showing absolutely no signs of wear and tear. I have to look really hard to find a single scratch on it.

Btw, do I understand correctly that the battery lid has a way of breaking off and getting lost? More than half of all Game Boys that I've seen in online auctions seem to be missing this piece.

Yeah the battery cover isn't exactly durable over time, mine still has it though.

Games I suggest:

- First GB mario game, I think it was super mario land?
- Tetris
- Tennis (the game was literally called tennis and the referee was mario)
- Legend of Zelda: Links awakening
- Any multi game cartridges you can get your hands on (Boy were these popular in asia, even though most had heaps of repeats with different titles, I never found one that didn't have at least one game that made the price worth it).

By the way, what's with the weird reflection on the screen of the GB in the first pic?