By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS4 vs Ninja Gaiden 2

Leaving aside the fact that they're on different systems and only a small proportion of consumers own both, I'd say sales won't be affected. They both appeal to the sort of gamers who don't blink at the prospect of buying a couple games per month (or week).

That said, MGS4's sales will tower over NG2's. But I'm only loking forward to the latter.

Around the Network

Will MGS4 affect the sales of Ninja Gaiden 2 that much, or will Ninja Gaiden 2 still sell well.

Completely different games exclusive on different consoles with a big class difference. Do not see what one has to do with the other.

Kyros said:
Will MGS4 affect the sales of Ninja Gaiden 2 that much, or will Ninja Gaiden 2 still sell well.

Completely different games exclusive on different consoles with a big class difference. Do not see what one has to do with the other.

Whats the class difference here? Both should turn out to be AAA titles with MGS4 focusing more on movie like storytelling and NG2 having more gameplay depth.

(HEavenly sword) Had Sony delayed the game till October it would have fared much better

Doubt it. I really enjoyed the game. It had awesome graphics and some of the best character animations and cutscenes of any game (King Bohan FTW!) But it was a good game. Nothing more. Not AAA or anything. It wouldn't have deserved more than a million copies in sales.
And I really, really doubt that Halo had any influence whatsoever on its sales.

Whats the class difference here?

MGS is much much much much better than Ninja Gaiden? They do not even play in the same league. I played Sigma and honestly the story is weak, the gameplay repetitive, the characters and settings weird.
Its a great fighting game with good controls and really nice graphics and it does what it does amazingly well but its a bit limited isn't it?
And if you look at the past incarnations sales there is also a small difference isn't it?

Around the Network

MGS 4 will push consoles , NG2 will not . Will they affect eachothers sales ... in minor % IMO . Still MGS will probably rape NGs numbers :P

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Kyros said:
Whats the class difference here?

MGS is much much much much better than Ninja Gaiden? They do not even play in the same league. I played Sigma and honestly the story is weak, the gameplay repetitive, the characters and settings weird.
Its a great fighting game with good controls and really nice graphics and it does what it does amazingly well but its a bit limited isn't it?
And if you look at the past incarnations sales there is also a small difference isn't it?

No doubt, to a casual gamer MGS series is beter than NG however anyone that has spent a LOT of time with both can tell you that they are about the same if not NG being a little superior.

I've beaten MGS1 3 times, MGS2 twice and MGS3 2 times as well...I've beaten the Twin Snakes remake on Gamecube as well. Its an amazing game series that from the get go blows you away however it doesn't age very well at all or provide much replay after the story is done. The main attraction is the story...

NG however doesn't start you off on a high like MGS does but if you beat it on harder difficulties (if you're lucky to be talented to do this) you realize the brilliance of the fighting system and the sense of achievement in doing that is unrivaled by any other game I've played. Story has nothing to do with NG appeal unlike MGS...

I doubt MGS4 sales won't take away from NG2 sales. In terms of software, both games will sell well, but MGS4 should sell much more. Ninja Gaiden has a hardcore following that will buy the game regardless, and Xbox360 owners won't really have a choice but to get NG2 during that month since there's really nothing else out, likewise same goes for MGS4. MGS4 will clearly move more hardware than NG2, but that's a given.

Either way, I don't think mgs4 will do any part in sabotaging NG2 sales, nor do i think NG2 will have any effect in MGS4 sales. As a multiplatform owner I'll get both, and I'm sure other mutliplatform owners would do the same.

you realize the brilliance of the fighting system

I didn't play it that much but yes the fighting mechanic was nice. A really important aspect of games. But somehow I can't put a game where you fight Ninjas on motorcycles as leather-clad dominatrix in the same league as MGS. I suppose it depends on what you want from games.

Kyros said:
you realize the brilliance of the fighting system

I didn't play it that much but yes the fighting mechanic was nice. A really important aspect of games. But somehow I can't put a game where you fight Ninjas on motorcycles as leather-clad dominatrix in the same league as MGS. I suppose it depends on what you want from games.

Exactly - I want gameplay, and NG delivers tons of it. If you want something else other than gameplay from games, you won't find it as appealing.