By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Fit calls young girl overweight, girl is devastated - I blame Wii Fit!

BenKenobi88 said:
Joking aside...it's ridiculous that there's people that will or have written complaints to Nintendo about Wii Fit...because it encourages people to be fit........

To be fair, if it is telling young healthy young girls that they are overweight. That's a pretty big problem. I'm just inclined to think that that might not actually be the case.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network
stof said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Joking aside...it's ridiculous that there's people that will or have written complaints to Nintendo about Wii Fit...because it encourages people to be fit........

To be fair, if it is telling young healthy young girls that they are overweight. That's a pretty big problem. I'm just inclined to think that that might not actually be the case.

If your kid listens to a video game instead of you. Perhaps, there's a "slight" chance that your parenting skills suck... ass.

* You as in... the parent(s).

Galaki said:

If your kid listens to a video game instead of you. Perhaps, there's a "slight" chance that your parenting skills suck... ass.

How much control do you think parents have over their kids' self body image? There are thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of loving, respecting and skilled parents whose daughters become anorexic regardless of their home environment. There are a lot of other factors that really push in a negative direction. 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

largedarryl said:

Well I followed the links back to the parents post. She says that her daughter is 4'9" and weighs 92 lbs.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=24943589

I'm not too sure if my assumption is correct, but for an active 10 year old girl, that weight sounds very high. Can anybody else confirm this, or am I way off base here.

Actually, I my calculation is correct she is 1.44 m and 41 kg. Thats a BMI of 19. Thats at the higher end of "normal" range for a girl in her age. In young years the development is very diffrent from person to person, so she is most likley not "fat". Maybe it is a little overweight, but only a little (18.59 is the theoraticle value for start of overweight). I think the girl overreacted. Is it really that big of a problem is she has 1kg to much? Thats something their close weights, or she is lighter after going to the toillet. The girl overreacted and the parrents are blaming Wii Fit. Besides no doc of the world will set you on diet because you have a little overweight. It the adiposis where the problem lies.

Being overweight no matter whether it is fat or muscle is bad for you, it increses stress on your heart.

To a certain extent an amount of overweight in muscle is good, though deviating from a healthy BMI too much whether it be from muscle or fat greatly increses risk of heart attacks and diabetes.

The human body is susceptable like most things in the world to wear and tear, which is why atheletes do not live as long as a person doing light but regular excercise.

Taking that in mind the BMI is not all THAT bad to judge people from although there could be some corrections under certain circumstances .

BMI fits the average population well so there is no need to change it + cant you just measure your weight and not used the BMI if you dont care for it?

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Around the Network
stof said:
Galaki said:

How much control do you think parents have over their kids' self body image? There are thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of loving, respecting and skilled parents whose daughters become anorexic regardless of their home environment. There are a lot of other factors that really push in a negative direction. 

Actually, the most important factor for girls self-image developement is how ones father think about the girl and what should the girl be like, according to him. So even if you would try to be a good parent, you still can be the opposite in this case, even if you would have a good meaning, when actions speak more than words. Of course, there are numerous reasons what can eventually cause anorexia, but i just wanted to point out that parents do have a lot to do with it, while being good parents. Considering that the vast majority aren't anorectic, and are mentally healthy in other ways too, most people apparently can be considered as good parents.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

BMI is read differently for children. According to pediatrics.about.com 92 for an active 10yr old girl of her height is a healthy weight. She is put into the 82nd percentile. Anything above the 95th percentile is overweight and anything between the 85th and 95th percentile has the risk of becoming overweight.

I wonder if the Wii Fit takes children's weights in to consideration during calculation? Also was the system built specifically for the Asian ethnicity. Other non-Asians have a different build and often a much higher bone density. Does Wii Fit take this into account?

This is surprising because Nintendo is so worried about offending people. I would have thought that for anyone under the age of 18 that Wii Fit would not judge if they were overweight or not.

Beware, I live!
I am Sinistar!
Beware, coward!
I hunger!
Roaaaaaaaaaar!

At least 62 million Wii sold by the end of 09 or my mario avatar will get sad

All I gotta say... is.

"I AM IRON MAN."

I AM FAT MAN! 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

in other news a 4 foot finch in 230 pound girls recently went on a shooting spree b/c a video game called her fat....i blame wii fit