By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much does it matter for you to have the "winning" console?

Viper1 said:
De85 said:
BCNR34 said:
Viper1 said:
I like the notion that the Wii will receive better 3rd party support because of its position in the market space. The fact itself that it's leading is indifferent.

i think you mean more 3rd party support, and more doesn't mean better.

QFT, I think this to myself everytime the Wii boys start to go off about how 3rd party support for the Wii is increasing. It may be getting more, but the games I am interested in just aren't there. That's why I'm happy with my 360, even if it ends up last in sales.

Excuse me but you mean to tell me that you don't think the quality of 3rd party games for Wii would be better if Wii stays in the lead than had it been in last place this whole time?

That depends on if you're talking about the average overall quality, or the quality of a select few titles, but in general I think you're misunderstanding me.  Of course there will be a gem here and there, but I think the shovelware epidemic will only increase to go with them.  The 3rd party games available for the PS3 and 360, while fewer in number, are much better in terms of quality.  This is due to the fact that more expensive development means developers must be much more selective about the games they choose to produce, and exert the maximum possible effort to make the game good.  Consequently the PS3 and 360 get brilliant games like Uncharted and Bioshock, while the Wii gets Pet Catz, Dogz, Horsez, etc...

Around the Network

I want the things I like to sell good. Unfourtunately, this is almost never the case. My favourite jam is discontinued, my favourite sushi resturaunt, and so on.

It has always been that way with video games for me too, as I've always gone the Nintendo road, but wasn't here during the glory era.

As much as I love statistics, I couldn't really accept for myself that these games, which were insanely much better than the others (flamebait?) couldn't sell the most. I didn't want further proof that the entire human race was retarded (or perhaps the easier solution)

I love seeing the Wii beat out the other consoles, and in my head I figure out how many % of the share Wii had this week in each territory, and I check the numbers to the current marketshare, to see whether it is doing better or worse.

I love reading the sales numbers, and it's almost than twice as fun when you win.

Now, a bit off topic. You guys, De85, failure'snotanopinion and such, please don't make another (this) thread into a flame thread. That has happened way too often lately. And Viper, even though you may (and probably are) correct, just let it go.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Doesnt matter to me I have all three so I can get any game I want

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

That Guy said:

If you're a PS3 fan, does it make you more angry that your console is selling less AKA currently "losing" to Xbox in sales?

And if you're a Wii fan, does it make you happy that the Wii is outselling everyone? 

Does it make the games funner? Why is it that "# of consoles sold" has to factor into it (besides the potential size of game library). Even if you have a gaming system that's in last place, but you currently have an awesome game library for it, shouldn't that be enough?

ps3 is NOT losing to xbox in sales, its actually selling more, the only reason the xbox is 6million ahead is simply because its had a year head start, if both were released at the same time ps3 would easily be ahead.

i wouldnt say it makes anyone angry lol what would be the point in that.

i suppose many people are interested in sales, and obviosly the console you like best you will want to see it do better than the rest, but that dont make a difference on the gaming side, all will have great games for each console. your best bet is to buy all 3

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

I matters nothing to me. Zero. Zip. It's like worrying whether my Panasonic TV is being outsold in my opinion.

I can understand concerns that a console might 'fail' - i.e. developer support wanes and the console dies, but that's not going to happen to any of the current gen consoles now so the whole point is now moot.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
Reasonable said:

I can understand concerns that a console might 'fail' - i.e. developer support wanes and the console dies, but that's not going to happen to any of the current gen consoles now so the whole point is now moot.

This is what I was going to post, but I was a little late :p

Being video games are my biggest hobby, I usually own every console and a high end gaming PC, so which one is the most successful never really was a concern to me.

I don't really care, but if my console of choice is "winning" I guess it's something to feel good about. When the PS3 ends up in second place and the 360 comes in last, it won't really bother me that I backed the "losers" of the console war.

To tell you the truth, I may be a fanboy. But its kind of selective. I don't mind that the PS3 is losing to the Wii, you know why? They have different types of games. If a company wants to play the safe way and decides to cash in on the wii then good for them, they're trash. But if a company has a project in mind, and it can only be achieved on the HD consoles, and they go ahead with it, then brilliant. Now I don't particularly hate the wii much. But I'm the kind of guy who's into cutting edge graphics. And the wii doesn't do that for me. Which is why I love my PS3. I however don't like Microsoft much, which is why I don't want the 360 to succeed lol, even though I own an xbox360.
And if any of you are wondering, yes I'm a hardcore PC gamer because that's where the real graphics are. But some games you can only play on consoles, so thats why I own them.

In conclusion, why does having the winning console mean so much? Loyalty, and like everyone says, the more success a console sees, the more game it gets.

I don't care anymore. At first there was a fear that Wii will be totally rejected by 3rd parties and that i won't have games to play, plus the fear that games which interest me from X360 or PS3 will never come to PC. But now i have too many Wii games waiting for my attention, and Mass Effect is going to PC, so i'll just have to get over the fact that i won't play GT5 (not prolouge), and enjoy all the gaming bliss that awaits me.

I personally like seeing Nintendo on top. Where they belong, might I add.