By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft's Rumored 'Wii-mote' No Threat to Nintendo, says Iwata

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/microsofts-rumored-wiimote-no-threat-to-nintendo-says-iwata/?biz=1

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata has acknowledged rumors of Microsoft's own Wii-like remote controller, but he's not concerned one bit even if MS does go ahead with the plan.

Posted by James Reilly on Thursday, May 01, 2008

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata isn't afraid of a possible Xbox 360 motion-sensing remote. After all, his company just had its greatest revenue increase ever and has completely dominated the gaming market.

He's aware of the rumor that appeared last month and he's even seen the fan Photoshop images of the 360 buttons on the Nintendo Wii-mote. But Iwata says it's hard to make good games for such a device.

"All I can say today is, it is not that easy to develop software which leverages the characteristics of the Wii Remote," he said as part of a lengthy Q&A briefing following the release of the fiscal results.

Iwata continued by saying Nintendo isn't worried about what its competitors do, but rather how they can continue to improve gaming experiences.

"We are not concerned about what other companies may do but rather more concerned with presenting them with new ideas to our customers based on the prospect that our existing customers will surely get tired of the plays enabled by Wii Remote if we do not try to improve the experience."

Thanks to MCV for the tip.

Around the Network

And with that, Iwata has just issued Microsoft the ultimate insult: you're no threat to us at all.

Yeah, Nintendo thinks companies will copy them and not try to innovate themselves.

So what happens when microsoft adapts their strengths to the wii mote-like controller?

disolitude said:

So what happens when microsoft adapts their strengths to the wii mote-like controller?

When you try to connect the xmote your TV screen turns blue.

It depends. I honestly think the X-mote has a lot of potential for the 360, if it's used correctly. I already have a blast playing FPS on the Wii because of the controls, and the 360 obviously has a better selection in that genre. But from what I've read, Microsoft isn't really sure where it wants to go with the thing: do they make "casual" games for the 360, or do they adopt it to enhance their more traditional offerings? I suppose you could try and say "both", but that might lead to "jack of all trades, master of none."

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
disolitude said:

zing

BCNR34 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
disolitude said:

zing

Sure, its a zing if this were still 1999 and we were using windows millenium edition.

well I think it will flop on the Xbox360 or even on the PS3 if they make one.

Beacuse its a gimmic/fad and no "real" gamers play with such nonsense

well thats the impression I have gotten from all PS3/Xbox360 fanboys around here

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

disolitude said:
Yeah, Nintendo thinks companies will copy them and not try to innovate themselves.

*looks at Xbox and X360*

Lose another few billion dollars? 

The X-Mote/Newton controller really can't be that much of a threat because the XBox 360 has already been outsold by the Wii, the device will be an add-on that will (probably) be poorly supported by third party publishers, and by the time XBox 360 developers are taking advantage of it on the level the Wiimote is currently being taken advantage of Nintendo will be on a whole new plane ...

In other words, unless Microsoft wants to be embarrassed they should hold off until the next generation.