By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft's Rumored 'Wii-mote' No Threat to Nintendo, says Iwata

Griffin said:
If Microsoft wanted to kill Nintendo it would happen, Microsoft just has too much money. Nintendo should feel lucky that Microsoft does not care too much about the game industry.
Delusional much?    MS did try to buy Nintendo at one point in 2004.   Yamauchi pimp slapped the offer.

Nintendo's market capital is the 3rd highest in Japan; double that of Sony's.   MS has money but not that kind of money.

Standard > peripheral

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

Griffin, you are insane. MicroSoft is not letting the game industry survive because they don't care about it. They are getting their ass dominated by Nintendo, much to their dismay. They are struggling to compete in the casual market and losing. Yes, they are finally making money and getting great name recognition out there, but they still have the ghost of the RROD to haunt them in the equal/opposite fashion.

MicroSoft really cares about the internet too, and is getting a run for its money from Google, Mozilla, and Apple. It's called competition, and it's the ONLY thing making MicroSoft try harder to please you. The only reason IE gets upgrades is because it needs to keep up with FireFox.

Competition is good. Nintendo is making everybody else play catch-up, and it's making all gamers win.

This device is never going to threaten the Wii simply because it's an extra peripheral released over 2 years after the 360's launch. It's never going to get very popular, and developer support is going to be slim at best.

That's one of the main strenghts of the Wii: developers can do stuff with the default controller that would normally require expensive peripherals.

Griffin said:
If Microsoft wanted to kill Nintendo it would happen, Microsoft just has too much money. Nintendo should feel lucky that Microsoft does not care too much about the game industry.

You sound like a politician. The simple answer to everything in life: throw money at it, and pray for the best.

That's working really well in Iraq right now.

@OP

I doubt this will have any effect what-so-ever. 

The more I play the Wii the less I care for the wii-mote especially as a mouse substitute. While the Wii-mote was a cool idea it's newness is beginning to wear off. There is only so much you can do with motion sensor. Wii-mote is still cool to play stuff like bowling.

Around the Network
Griffin said:
Ail said:
Griffin said:

Funny, because Microsoft has been trying to kill Google for several years and they have been failing hardcore.

I guess the true reason must be that they don't care so much about the internet....

That is completely different then the gaming industry.  Microsft can do things on the fly to greatly increase sales if they wanted in the game industry.  They have enoungh money to drop their system down to $100 for the elite if they wanted, now how are the other guys going to compete with that.  What would happen if MS decided to buy Take two, which is only going for about 2bil.  Think of how many other game companies they could buy if they wanted.

This is not true ...

Microsoft (like all public companies) has to answer to its shareholders, and there are limits to how much money they can spend; on top of this, if Microsoft all of a sudden started to sell the XBox 360 elite for $100 to "Crush" the Wii there would be a serious anti-trust lawsuit.

Vista does give me blue screen sometimes so he's right =P

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

X-Mote = future fail

I expected some like sixaxis in terms of failure.

Thanks Blacksaber for the sig                  Tag:"Nintendo es toda la diversión de esta generación"

Why would Nintendo feel threatened. MS can't think they will be successful with adding a motion controller halfway through the 360's life. There will be zero incentive for a third party to include support for this. It will be as useful as the eye toy is on the playstation 3.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Griffin said:
Ail said:
Griffin said:

Funny, because Microsoft has been trying to kill Google for several years and they have been failing hardcore.

I guess the true reason must be that they don't care so much about the internet....

That is completely different then the gaming industry.  Microsft can do things on the fly to greatly increase sales if they wanted in the game industry.  They have enoungh money to drop their system down to $100 for the elite if they wanted, now how are the other guys going to compete with that.  What would happen if MS decided to buy Take two, which is only going for about 2bil.  Think of how many other game companies they could buy if they wanted.

What would happen if Microsoft decided to buy TakeTwo is that their stock would tank by at least 5-10%.

The main reason would be the decrease in Operating Margin that would come out of the acquisition.

Having Heaps of money doesn't mean you can go around buy what you want. Microsoft is accountable to its shareholders and shareholders as a whole do not usually like when their company goes around throwing money away....

When you acquire a company you have to be able to demonstrate to the market that the acquisition will actually benefit the bottomline of the company at some point in future ( for big acquisitions > 1 bill), small ones they have more freedom....

PS : How is online advertising so different from the game industry ? Last I checked the gaming industry was actually bigger than the online advertising thing. And low and behold the 2 segments of Microsoft with little or no profit are the Entertainment division and the online division....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !