By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft's Rumored 'Wii-mote' No Threat to Nintendo, says Iwata

If Microsoft wanted to kill Nintendo it would happen, Microsoft just has too much money. Nintendo should feel lucky that Microsoft does not care too much about the game industry.

Around the Network

>"All I can say today is, it is not that easy to develop software which leverages the characteristics of the Wii Remote," he said as part of a lengthy Q&A briefing following the release of the fiscal results.

I saw something...

wait... it's the every publisher (outside of Nintendo) nodding in agreement. :)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

""All I can say today is, it is not that easy to develop software which leverages the characteristics of the Wii Remote," "

And I thought that one of the big hype about Wii is that is was so much easier and cheaper to develop for it :p

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Griffin said:
If Microsoft wanted to kill Nintendo it would happen, Microsoft just has too much money. Nintendo should feel lucky that Microsoft does not care too much about the game industry.

Funny, because Microsoft has been trying to kill Google for several years and they have been failing hardcore.

I guess the true reason must be that they don't care so much about the internet....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
""All I can say today is, it is not that easy to develop software which leverages the characteristics of the Wii Remote," "

And I thought that one of the big hype about Wii is that is was so much easier and cheaper to develop for it :p

Your statments are not mutually exclusive ...

The Wii's hardware is easy to get good performance out of, and the limitations mean that you require less artists over a shorter period of time to develop a game, but it is still difficult for a designer to take advantage of the capabilities of the Wiimote to produce an inovative game without going too far and using too many gimicky gestures.

Around the Network

The attach rate for the Wii remote is 100%.

The attach rate for MicroSoft's shameless ripoff will be less than that.

It's not a threat, but it's a huge compliment and tells the industry "Nintendo was right all along and we're jealous."

Ail said:

Well, it's certainly cheaper to develop Wii games. Implementing good controls from scratch is a bit harder than traditional development. 

The BuShA owns all!

Ail said:

Oh, he's not saying its not easy and cheap to develop for. He's simply pointing out that it requires developers to have some creative ideas to utilize it in a manner which impresses the public, rather than just making your last game prettier and calling it a day. Put another way, he's not saying Microsoft's X-mote will fail because Microsoft lacks the money or expertise to develop games for it, but because they're not creative enough to utilize it in a way that would surprise and please the public.

Edit: Beated again and stuff 

disolitude said:
BCNR34 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
disolitude said:

So what happens when microsoft adapts their strengths to the wii mote-like controller?

When you try to connect the xmote your TV screen turns blue.

zing

Sure, its a zing if this were still 1999 and we were using windows millenium edition.

...or Vista.

Okay I'll stop now. 

Ail said:
Griffin said:

Funny, because Microsoft has been trying to kill Google for several years and they have been failing hardcore.

I guess the true reason must be that they don't care so much about the internet....

That is completely different then the gaming industry.  Microsft can do things on the fly to greatly increase sales if they wanted in the game industry.  They have enoungh money to drop their system down to $100 for the elite if they wanted, now how are the other guys going to compete with that.  What would happen if MS decided to buy Take two, which is only going for about 2bil.  Think of how many other game companies they could buy if they wanted.