By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do people predict a massive boost for Sony and crushing defeat for MS?

When I say Empire will strike back
it doesn't mean PS3 will kill Wii ...
Wii can't be killed

Aslo about Xbox360, the key event this year :

- special arcade bundle Halo3+PGR4 + GTA4 offer (the 6th may ?)
- Gears of war 2
- X-mote

Time to Work !

Around the Network

Does anyone have any idea why either of these predictions is made

Because of trend. The 360 had its defining exclusive (Halo3) already and didn't manage to significantly outsell the PS3 in 2007 a year the PS3 had nothing to play until November.

6 months and some great multiplatform games later the PS3 outsells the 360 globally by 40k a week.

So people just expect that in another 12 months after MGS4, Haze, LbP, Buzz, GT, FFXIII a pricecut etc. the PS3 will be even more in front. I think a fair assumption. I don't think that the 360 will vanish but it will fall back.

I think the sales predication can also be attriubted to the fact 360 is in its 3rd year -- this is the year when the console should peak. Therefore its likly to decline significaly over its 4 and 5 yrs unless it breaks the current trend for 2nd/3rd place systems.

PS3 on the other hand is more expensive, has less games, is only in its 2nd year ( and therefore should peak next year ) and it has already spent 6 - 8 months of being called dead before over doubling its weekly sales ...

IMHO i believe M$ once again will hold all the cards at the end of next year -- they will decide weather to force a next-gen on us, or continue with the current-gen. This will de detrimed by weather they continue to support 360 or annouce a next-box ... ( which would force SONY and Nintendo to take action ... ). Ofcourse if M$ keeps supporting 360 it will undoubly break sales records for non-first consoles ( so will PS3 ) ... and perpahs a 10 year lifecycle IS possible when you consider the cost of hardware R&D / launching a new console ...

The only thing that Sony may get a slight victory on is installed base... PS360 software will continue being the rule, there's no economical incentive to make exclusives for either console (except when developers get checks from Sony/MS).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Didn't the PS2 sell 70% of its LTD sales after the 4rd year as it was cheap and had a good games liburay ( don't you think that is what MS are aiming for )

Around the Network
ChrisTheGreat said:
Didn't the PS2 sell 70% of its LTD sales after the 4rd year as it was cheap and had a good games liburay ( don't you think that is what MS are aiming for )

The people who were attracted by PS2's low price and games library are mostly going for a Wii in this generation, sooner or later.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

starcraft said:

From time to time, posters (and indeed some 'reputable' analysts) predict that the PS3 will experience a large increase in sales to the point that it is believed the console will shift 15-20 million consoles a year for the next few years.

Equally, the opposite is often predicted for the Xbox 360, with people believing the console will effectively disappear off the map after 2008.

I personally do not believe either console is going anywhere anytime soon. I think the PS3 will see a marginal increase in sales over the coming two years, and the 360 a marginal decline over the coming two years. I think they will each hold staedy levels for one year after that, before beginning a steep decline in the face of new consoles.

What makes people believe either of the first two scenarios?

The PS3 has some guarenteed sales in FFXIII and GT5, but the likelihood these games will provide PS2-like boosts is small, given both Japan and Europe are predominately one-console continents. The Wii has already shown it will be the nearest thing to the PS2 of this generation.

As for the Xbox 360? The reason that the Xbox died is Microsoft stopped supporting it and the games dried up. But as of now, we have a year-on-year increase in sales, a strong line-up of diverse exclusives and every indication the games will keep coming for at least two years (ME2, Bioshock 2, Halo 4, PD2 etc...).

Does anyone have any idea why either of these predictions is made, and what reasonable grounds there may be to make them?

You are forgetting that the 360 already has a great list of exclusives, many more than the PS3. Yet it is still being outsold every week AND the PS3 costs craploads more....

To say that there is not evidence to support a further increase in PS3 sales is plain wrong since the big PS3 exclusives are on the way (360 has had most of them already and the boost they gave), a new price drop that will increase sales (360 had a price drop that didn't bring it to outsell the PS3).

While the 360 will have steady sales numbers this year (or maybe an inrease), the PS3 will have an even greater increase by the end of 2008 due to the factors above....

2009 i think will be the same story, with the PS3 outselling the 360 by this greater margin....

Don't get me wrong, I think the 360 is a great console with great games but the future truly look bleak for it...

(Usual disclaimer of this only being the case if nothing radical happens, like the 360 halving in price twice by next year or something...) 

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

The predictions fail only on one matter; they're ignoring Wiis success.
About the winner between PS3 and 360, PS3 is the winner because of its brand and, frankly, 360 should have sold more than it has by now. Basically, if GTA 4 isn't going to pull 360 significantly above PS3, PS3 will be the winner out of those 2 (360 have significant advantage for being cheaper, when both consoles are going to get mostly the same games).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Why does it matter? Just play your game's. Did you buy your console to play game's, or to worship it and hope it wins console wars?

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Riot Of The Blood said:
Why does it matter? Just play your game's. Did you buy your console to play game's, or to worship it and hope it wins console wars?

and you browse a web about sales to discuss about sales ot th play games?