By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do people predict a massive boost for Sony and crushing defeat for MS?

JGarret said:
I agree with starcraft when he says neither PS3 nor 360 will have a big significant advantage, one over the other, to really make a difference.

Though I disagree, star, when you say the PS3 had a late launch, it was MS that released the 360 too early, 1 year before the 5 year life cycle we were all used to...though if you ignore that, I understand how the PS3 seemed to have had a late launch, since it failed to blow the 360 out of the water, a feat some people were expecting to be true, especially since the thing was $600.

What I meant when I said, "late launch" is relative to the last generation.  The problem is, many people that are assuming there will be a large jump in the PS3's sales base that on the PS2's hardware dominance and software performance.

FF, MGS and GT propelled the PS2 to astronomical heights, but only amidst a climate of success. Just as Mario, Zelda and Smash Brothers failed to propell the Gamecube to astronomical heights, amidst a climate of (relative) failure.

Last generation:

-PS2 launched first

-PS2 provided third party incentive

-PS2 was relatively inexpensive (compared to the Xbox)

-PS2 received the majority of third party support

-PS2 had a large enough userbase proportion to attain exclusives without Sony interference.

-One-horse betters Japan and EU chose PS2 

This generation:

-PS3 is relatively expensive.

-PS3 launched late.

-PS3 is the most expensive console to develop on, without the userbase to make major third party titles profitable (lets see Konami make a profit on MGS4 with neither a 360 port or Sony payout)

-GTAIV is multiplatform

-Wii is developer-friendly and received an early jump in userbase.

-Europe and Japan chose Wii.

In a climate of relative failure, the PS3's big hitters are more likely to follow the Gamecube's big hitters than the PS2's big hitters.  Just as SMG, SSBB and WiiFit are following the PS2's big hitters and causing MASSIVE hardware sales. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
JGarret said:
"The Wii will never have the same games and gameplay as the others."

The problem with that is if the Wii starts 'stealing' games that were intended for PS3 and/or 360...so far I can only think of Monster Hunter 3, but if others follow..

It will happen definitely, but not the games that really matter (the GTAs, FFs, Halos etc). Except maybe some jRPGs and such... And also some of those games that will be ported will also probably have a lower budget to begin with which would have made them suck if done in HD anyway....

The multiplatform games for both HD consoles will be the norm in the future (as it is now) and the developers will be better at porting these games, so they could still capture 40-60% of the market that way and avoid the Wii anyway.....

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

ChrisTheGreat said:
I have to make this point and I know people will question this but I have look around the internet and looked for indipendent sales data for other EU countries and found non. Which makes me ask the question how do we know the 360 is selling less then the PS3. I know we have this website but for the countries that have other sources like UK the Xbox is out selling the PS3, as it is the same for the US. Also sonys website does not give you a brake down of EU sales. So where is all this so called evidence that the PS3 is selling more than the 360. MS has said it has 19m out there, what is sonys figure ? Ican seem to find it... The conclusion I have come to is that know body really knows what whats the point.

Also who the hell do VGcharts know that in spain the PS3 is selling x and the Xbox is selling y, I have lived in spain and they don't have large stores like UK and US they have lots of small shops that sell good, you can't tell me they contact all of them and ask what there sales figures are. So I am not sure there is anything to go on here....

UK console sales monitor Chart Track confirmed that for the past 15 weeks the PS3 has largely kept ahead of the Xbox 360. However, a spokesman admitted that the two machines' units have been "extremely close" in some weeks.

The real winner is Nintendo. Chart Track said that sales of the Wii have been “more than double” those of the PS3 over the last 15 weeks.

And the Wii would still be “healthily” ahead of PS3 and Xbox 360 if those two machines' UK sales were combined, the spokesman said.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04/18/xbox_360_european_sales_double/

PS: Chart-Track is the official UK tracking agency.

EDIT: I forgot to tell you that Nintendo recently gave to the public interesting chart about hardware sales of various system for Japan, USA, UK, Germany and France. You can find them here: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=0&id=25030

EDIT2: Oh and welcome  

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

taxman said:
JGarret said:

The problem with that is if the Wii starts 'stealing' games that were intended for PS3 and/or 360...so far I can only think of Monster Hunter 3, but if others follow..

It will happen definitely, but not the games that really matter (the GTAs, FFs, Halos etc). Except maybe some jRPGs and such... And also some of those games that will be ported will also probably have a lower budget to begin with which would have made them suck if done in HD anyway....

The multiplatform games for both HD consoles will be the norm in the future (as it is now) and the developers will be better at porting these games, so they could still capture 40-60% of the market that way and avoid the Wii anyway.....

Read my last post.  The FF's, GT's and MGS's won't do for the PS3 what they did for the PS2.

starcraft, yeah the tables have turned.

By the way, have you noticed this always happens to the 3rd system that has had 2 very successful older "brothers"?

Curious pattern...it´s like every 10 or so years the gears change.

Around the Network
starcraft said:
taxman said:
JGarret said:

Read my last post. The FF's, GT's and MGS's won't do for the PS3 what they did for the PS2.

In that post i was talking about the Wii taking games from the HD consoles.....

But anyway, I think the word you are missing is "might".... "The FF's, GT's and MGS's might not do for the PS3 what they did for the PS2."

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

PS3 is the continuation of the PS2 dominance and it is expected to heavily outsell the XBox 360.

JGarret said:
starcraft, yeah the tables have turned.

By the way, have you noticed this always happens to the 3rd system that has had 2 very successful older "brothers"?

Curious pattern...it´s like every 10 or so years the gears change.

Yeah I know huh.

Both times it seems to have been related to a mistake in picking media formats.

Nintendo should have used the CD for the N64, while at this stage it is clear the PS3 would have sold more if it had used DVD9 and been $200 cheaper at launch. 

people who expect a massive boost for ps3 over 360 are exagerating. people who expect ps3 to leapfrog 360 in the near future will only be using the data infront of them to make sense of the matter. it looks likely. but before the holidays, if somebody predicted ps3's weekly sales to even be 'on par' with the 360's in'08, people would have thought that person is crazy. why would the ps3 suddenly be outselling the 360? it has no games, can't afford another pricecut, and is still more expensive.

any person would have been labelled a blind sony fanboy to predict that. sony let a huge HUGE advantage slip, but so did ms. they started off first, and now people are expecting it to end up last? ms had to start a year early to JUST end up last, that's not a great strategy imo, and i'm sure ms weren't looking to be in this situation. i'd hate to think what would happen if they started at the same time, or after their competition.

starcraft said:

From time to time, posters (and indeed some 'reputable' analysts) predict that the PS3 will experience a large increase in sales to the point that it is believed the console will shift 15-20 million consoles a year for the next few years.

Equally, the opposite is often predicted for the Xbox 360, with people believing the console will effectively disappear off the map after 2008.

I personally do not believe either console is going anywhere anytime soon. I think the PS3 will see a marginal increase in sales over the coming two years, and the 360 a marginal decline over the coming two years. I think they will each hold staedy levels for one year after that, before beginning a steep decline in the face of new consoles.

What makes people believe either of the first two scenarios?

The PS3 has some guarenteed sales in FFXIII and GT5, but the likelihood these games will provide PS2-like boosts is small, given both Japan and Europe are predominately one-console continents. The Wii has already shown it will be the nearest thing to the PS2 of this generation.

As for the Xbox 360? The reason that the Xbox died is Microsoft stopped supporting it and the games dried up. But as of now, we have a year-on-year increase in sales, a strong line-up of diverse exclusives and every indication the games will keep coming for at least two years (ME2, Bioshock 2, Halo 4, PD2 etc...).

Does anyone have any idea why either of these predictions is made, and what reasonable grounds there may be to make them?

Let's not forget that analysts and the media tend to blow things out of proportion eg, last year when they claimed the PS3 would be the next 3DO.

The general consensus is that the 360's 2008 line-up is inferior to it's 2007 line-up, perhaps that's why people are ignoring it and hyping up the PS3's line-up instead. Also it's 2007 WW sales were less than it's 2006 WW sales, not really good news for MS, this suggests that 3rd place is inevitable for the 360. Of course, I expect it to sell a lot more than the original Xbox.

And let's not underestimate just how much a PlayStation can sell- it's the only brand in history to sell over 100 million consoles, twice in a row. Not even Nintendo have done that (Yet). People have doubted every PS console for a variety of reasons, yet their lifetime numbers always turn out to be gigantic.

So.....that's probably why people predict a massive boost for Sony and crushing defeat for MS? In a way I agree, but "massive boost" and "crushing defeat" is a bit of an exaggeration.