By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do people predict a massive boost for Sony and crushing defeat for MS?

Only to have the Wii waltz in kick them in the head.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

I think the trend analysis is spot on because of two crucial points.

1. The end of the format war.  The gamble that was the blu-ray player paid off and consumers will consider this when making their purchase.

2. The American market is the strongest market for the 360, and with an impending recession the growth will slow to reflect the current economic situation of America.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&weeks=156

iunno the ps3 and ps2 have been selling prety even and the 360 has falling behind and i dont see it geting back up

the ps3 is here and its here too stay

man why do 360 fanboys sound so much like HD DVD fanboys........just cuz you guys bought broken tech dont be mad at us........hey i hear the mail man i think he has your 360 RROD free for a few days!!!!!!

also like 1m or 2m of those sales are from people replaceing there 360 fromt he old chip make too the new chip make after getin tierd of them haveing too send there 360 every month now thay only have too send it in every 2 months :P

mgs4 will sell 2.4m week 1

japan:500k

others: 1m

NA:900k

AAA (90%+) games (metacritic):

nintendo:65

Xbox: 42

playstation: 98

dbot said:
starcraft said:
dbot said:
ChrisTheGreat said:
@dbot

Arn't they the same group that siad the PS3 would out sell the 360 in March and they were wrong... ( Yes only by 5000 units, but still wrong )

I guess you are right. Maybe gaming message boards will be a better place to get my financial advice. Should I cancel my Bloomberg subscription?

You do realize the statistics in that article are incorrect? Microsoft would have needed to ship 14 million consoles over the last year for a 40% reduction to be 9.1 million.

I didn't realize that. What will be the correct percentage drop when MS ships 9.1 million consoles this year?

I think it will be a moot point, as the 360 is tracking significantly ahead of itself year over year.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Not this chart again. You can't compare them this way because their launches were staggered. Compare them from launch for each of the 3 main territories and you'll see what I mean.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Lord N said:
starcraft said:
taxman said:
JGarret said:
"The Wii will never have the same games and gameplay as the others."

The problem with that is if the Wii starts 'stealing' games that were intended for PS3 and/or 360...so far I can only think of Monster Hunter 3, but if others follow..

It will happen definitely, but not the games that really matter (the GTAs, FFs, Halos etc). Except maybe some jRPGs and such... And also some of those games that will be ported will also probably have a lower budget to begin with which would have made them suck if done in HD anyway....

The multiplatform games for both HD consoles will be the norm in the future (as it is now) and the developers will be better at porting these games, so they could still capture 40-60% of the market that way and avoid the Wii anyway.....

Read my last post. The FF's, GT's and MGS's won't do for the PS3 what they did for the PS2.

Nobody said that they would, and they don't need to anyway. The PS3 is already outselling the 360 without them despite its larger price tag and smaller game library, so what do you think is going to happen when those games are released?

Anway, the situation between the PS3 and 360 has done a complete 180. It wasn't that long ago that people were claiming that the PS3 was dead in the water, but now it's outselling the 360 worldwide week in and week out. Just look at the 360 by itself. It could have and should have sold a lot more than what it has by now, and MS had a chance to really put the PS3 away before it launched by slashing the price on it by $100 in Nov. '06(and the premium should be at $250 right now), but they failed to do so, and 30 months later the 360 is only $50 cheaper than it was when it first launched. This gave Sony time to come out with a $400 PS3, and here we are. The Euro price cut didn't have the intended effect as MS is still dead last in Europe, and as if that weren't enough, the 360 is not being matched/beaten by the PS3 in its strongest territory(N. America).

While 360 sales might be up year over year, the momentum has clearly shifted to the PS3, and this is why people are making such predictions.

Which is exactly why such short term predictions are idiotic. Things change. Things changed dramatically this year for the PS3, so now it's "PS3 will dominate" whereas last year people who said would've been laughed out the forums. But you can't predict factors that change things. Just because the PS3 has beaten the 360 for a while now doesn't mean it will stay that way. As I recall, the 360 outsold the PS3 for a hell of a lot longer than the PS3 has done this year.

But to answer the original posters question, it's predominant Sony fanboyism on this site combined with analysis by people who take short term data and assume it'll stay constant. 

I can't speak for others, but I started to believe in the PS3 during the final Quarter of 07. 360 only gained 200k during this period. The PS3 was at a significantly higher price point, had a poor library of games, and was in the middle of a format war with HDDVD. MS was in the midst of the Halo 3 release. The fact that MS could only gain 200k during this period was not good.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Do you think the shipments will increase for MS in 2008-2009? 

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

I think that for calendar year 2008, shipments will be significantly higher than calendar year 2007. For calendar year 2009, shipments will probably be around equal to calendar year 2007.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

There was one of these threads like 4 days ago. Locking.