By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do people predict a massive boost for Sony and crushing defeat for MS?

It's real simple, 360 is already over the hill. halo 3 is the biggest selling game the 360 has and ever will have. There are no other exclusives on the horizon that will sell millions of copies. Gears 2 will be a hit, but not as big as Gears 1(it had pretty much no competition when it came out). Ninja Gaiden 2 will do good as will Fable 2, but what else is there?

PS3 on the other hand hasn't even had one major hit released yet. GT Prologue is a good start, buts it's not the full game and GT5 will crush it.

MGS4 will be the first exclusive hit with a history of massive sales. It will sell millions of copies and push console sales(especially with the bundle). Then you have 2 Final Fantasy exclusives that are shaping up nicely. Killzone 2 could also be a huge hit if the gameplay and story are on par with the amazing graphics.

PS3 has been outselling the 360 for weeks in all 3 regions with no big exclusive games. When the big titles hit, it'll leave 360 in the dust.

FYI to the topic creator, there's a good chance ME2 will be multiplat, Bioshock2 will be multiplat, and wtf is halo4???

Around the Network

I think we should wait for GTA IV numbers and see which console gets the bigger hardware sales boost.

I´m currently writing a damn big editorial about PS3 sales and what they´ll develope like over the next years (which is why I didn´t work through your article yet, Starcraft - I want to get this damn thing done, that´s all ) taking multiple factors into account and giving reasons why the console will sell and why not. (Japan looks bad so far, but Europe and the US will see good sales for the system).

So far I predict the PS3 to outsell the Xbox 360 sometimes in 2009. Let´s see how that turns out.

It is all just conjecture, no one knows for sure.

But if we were positive that one of the HD consoles' sales would decline sharply before the other one... I would guess it would be the 360.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

John_Doe said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
Why does it matter? Just play your game's. Did you buy your console to play game's, or to worship it and hope it wins console wars?

and you browse a web about sales to discuss about sales ot th play games?

I don't come here for the numbers, I come here because I like the community. The numbers are nothing more than a bonus. In fact, when I first came to this site, the numbers where no where near as good as they are now. They were always being adjusted, they took a long time to be updated, and they weren't always accurate. It's really not until recently the numbers realy became great. For all I care, Ioi can take a one-month break from updated the site.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

I have to make this point and I know people will question this but I have look around the internet and looked for indipendent sales data for other EU countries and found non. Which makes me ask the question how do we know the 360 is selling less then the PS3. I know we have this website but for the countries that have other sources like UK the Xbox is out selling the PS3, as it is the same for the US. Also sonys website does not give you a brake down of EU sales. So where is all this so called evidence that the PS3 is selling more than the 360. MS has said it has 19m out there, what is sonys figure ? Ican seem to find it... The conclusion I have come to is that know body really knows what whats the point.

Also who the hell do VGcharts know that in spain the PS3 is selling x and the Xbox is selling y, I have lived in spain and they don't have large stores like UK and US they have lots of small shops that sell good, you can't tell me they contact all of them and ask what there sales figures are. So I am not sure there is anything to go on here....

Around the Network

I agree with starcraft when he says neither PS3 nor 360 will have a big significant advantage, one over the other, to really make a difference.

Though I disagree, star, when you say the PS3 had a late launch, it was MS that released the 360 too early, 1 year before the 5 year life cycle we were all used to...though if you ignore that, I understand how the PS3 seemed to have had a late launch, since it failed to blow the 360 out of the water, a feat some people were expecting to be true, especially since the thing was $600.

NJ5 said:
The only thing that Sony may get a slight victory on is installed base... PS360 software will continue being the rule, there's no economical incentive to make exclusives for either console (except when developers get checks from Sony/MS).

I agree with NJ5. One of the two will sell better ( in term of install base ) but in the grand scheme they will be destined to  draw even ( and a tie will be a great "victory" for MS).

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

mztazmz said:
It's real simple, 360 is already over the hill. halo 3 is the biggest selling game the 360 has and ever will have. There are no other exclusives on the horizon that will sell millions of copies. Gears 2 will be a hit, but not as big as Gears 1(it had pretty much no competition when it came out). Ninja Gaiden 2 will do good as will Fable 2, but what else is there?

PS3 on the other hand hasn't even had one major hit released yet. GT Prologue is a good start, buts it's not the full game and GT5 will crush it.

MGS4 will be the first exclusive hit with a history of massive sales. It will sell millions of copies and push console sales(especially with the bundle). Then you have 2 Final Fantasy exclusives that are shaping up nicely. Killzone 2 could also be a huge hit if the gameplay and story are on par with the amazing graphics.

PS3 has been outselling the 360 for weeks in all 3 regions with no big exclusive games. When the big titles hit, it'll leave 360 in the dust.

FYI to the topic creator, there's a good chance ME2 will be multiplat, Bioshock2 will be multiplat, and wtf is halo4???

You missed the point of what I'm saying.  I believe that come the beginning of the next generation, the PS3 will have a slim userbase lead over the 360, but the 360 certainly isn't about to fall flat, and the PS3 isn't about to suddenly take off.

To say that the 360 is "over the hill" is ridiculous, especially given it is outselling itself compared to last year by a substantial amount and has had a meagre $50 price cut in the USA since it's inception.  Even with the abysmal exchange rates, Microsoft is probably making a substantial amount of money on every Xbox 360 sold in the USA. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

bdbdbd said:
The predictions fail only on one matter; they're ignoring Wiis success.
About the winner between PS3 and 360, PS3 is the winner because of its brand and, frankly, 360 should have sold more than it has by now. Basically, if GTA 4 isn't going to pull 360 significantly above PS3, PS3 will be the winner out of those 2 (360 have significant advantage for being cheaper, when both consoles are going to get mostly the same games).

The Wii's success has nothing to do with this discussion now because it's just so damn different than the other two. The Wii will never have the same games and gameplay as the others.

So while it should be taken into account when talking about the whole marker, making comparisons between the HD consoles only is fair and completely logical.... (except to fanboys that is)

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

"The Wii will never have the same games and gameplay as the others."

The problem with that is if the Wii starts 'stealing' games that were intended for PS3 and/or 360...so far I can only think of Monster Hunter 3, but if others follow..