By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I agree that they should give a better back story for Zelda and Gannon but not Link. He is just a "link" between you and the game. The rest of your points I have to respectfully disagree with. I like the way the games are now.

Around the Network
pichu_pichu said:
What about a scarier Zelda, Almost like Majora's mask to Ocarina

u'll scare away the little kids who buy it :)

Your dungeon part was already done in TooT, But they went one step further and gave those extra dungeons anyway.

2 run ins
(Kroki Forest - Forest Temple)
1 run in
(Gerudo Desert - Light Temple)

Regardless they have to do something with this next Zelda because TP was good, but after playing TooT it feels like FF8 to FF6.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

dsoverpsp said:
pichu_pichu said:
What about a scarier Zelda, Almost like Majora's mask to Ocarina

u'll scare away the little kids who buy it :)

Im sure they got used to it after TP

what i'd love to see in a zelda story, is a sad ending..and that ending being the flooding of Hyrule... (which leads to windwaker) .. or perhaps that can happen at the start of the game, and link uses the temple of time to go back and stop it from needing to get flooded, hence creating yet another alternate timeline

Around the Network

Quite good, although I'm not too keen on the idea of less items or less dungeons, these are the most appealing things about Zelda along with the boss battles which is my favourite bit (especially the Ocarina of Time bosses).

www.tranmererovers.co.uk

Currently playing: Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Red Steel.

Wii Friend Codes:

Smash Bros Brawl- 5284 2865 3565

Mario Kart Wii- 0216 0932 4306

Mario Strikers Charged- 034471 707985

Send me a message if you have added me.

Poor PS3 Sales Means Smaller Losses

"Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," Quotes from Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda.

Sherlock99 said:

1. Story. Reboot the series. Start fresh and from the beginning. Really create a strong history and mythos for Hyrule that can be explored and built upon with each sequel or prequel instead of this messed up thing we have now that tries to vaguely connect each game but not really. Fully develop the characters, give them a history, especially Ganondorf and Link, provide them with real personalities and some depth for why they do what they do.

2. Narrative. With #1 in mind the game needs a strong narrative, with voice acting, except for Link. A really well thought out plotline that doesnt have to be super deep but more so than previous titles and definitely has to be well executed and cohesive.

3. World. Create a well developed world. Take a note from SotC and create a world that feels natural and isnt so cookie cutter showing it was made with the purpose of being a game, but looks and feels like a real kingdom with size to it. Intelligently place the towns, cities and dungeons throughout the land. Make it feel like this is a real working kingdom. And reward the player for exploring its, dont put as many restrictions on Links ability to explore, intelligently create obstacles for him to overcome.

4. Dungeons. Dungeons need to be trimmed down. We dont need 9 random dungeons strategically placed throughout the world for Link to tackle one by one.

5. Items. Cut down on items, really only have a few that make up the core of the game. Give the player these core items early in the game and upgrade them if applicable and really use them to their fullest through the game and its puzzles.

6. Bosses. Build off that depth of the items and apply it to bosses. Add some depth to the formula of expose the weak spot, hit it three times and youre done. Make us really think about how we have to utilize our arsenal to attack and expose the boss and use more than just a new item to do so but the environment around us and allow for multiple ways to do so.

7. Combat. Take the NMH sty.le of combat and really build off that. Make timing, hight and rythym of pressing A for attacking important, and really use the motion controls for techniques and counter attacks that are actually needed to defeat enemies. Make using these attack techniques integral to the combat.

8. Towns and cities. Make more than three of them. Really populate the world and allow it to be explored with NPCs that have some real substance to them like in MM. Make it so the player cares about the people of the world and their plight. Make the world feel alive.

9. Main quest. Have the main quest really affect the world and be in the world not just confined to the dungeons/temples. Have events take place in the towns and cites and overworld.

10. Side quests. Like I said before with the NPCs have these sidequest really bring the player closer to them in ways main quest events cant. And as well have them also affect the world around you.

11. Make Rupees mean something.

Hahaha! Good points.

You are essentially describing Oblivion*. (except for the ability to upgrade items, that's not really possible in Oblivion... but a very good idea for the next Elder Scrolls game)

Personally I played about 1/3d of Zelda - Ocarina of time, and loved the setting, the atmosphere and the world. But the endless dungeons, and sometimes not having the slightest idea what to do (inside a dungeon) made me very frustrated.

*Note: Oblivion has shitloads of dungeons, well over 100, but they aren't random and only a couple are needed do accomplish the main quest, and perhaps 20-30 are part of side quests.

Excellent write up. I believe that the next Zelda should make some drastic changes myself. I think that since OOT that the series has played it too safe. It's like they said to themselves that they have perfected the formula and don't want to mess with it. The need to try more innovative things in the series like they do with the Mario games. Look at Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy. They are completely different from Super Mario 64 which as fantasitic that game was, they didn't say to themselves let's do this over and over again. I feel that is what Zelda is starting to become guilty of. I known many of you will disagree with this, but it's my honest opinion and I'm entitled to it.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Sherlock99 said:

1. Story. Reboot the series. Start fresh and from the beginning. Really create a strong history and mythos for Hyrule that can be explored and built upon with each sequel or prequel instead of this messed up thing we have now that tries to vaguely connect each game but not really. Fully develop the characters, give them a history, especially Ganondorf and Link, provide them with real personalities and some depth for why they do what they do.

2. Narrative. With #1 in mind the game needs a strong narrative, with voice acting, except for Link. A really well thought out plotline that doesnt have to be super deep but more so than previous titles and definitely has to be well executed and cohesive. Not some patchwork like TPs plot was.

3. World. Create a well developed world. Take a note from SotC and create a world that feels natural and isnt so cookie cutter showing it was made with the purpose of being a game, but looks and feels like a real kingdom with size to it. Intelligently place the towns, cities and dungeons throughout the land. Make it feel like this is a real working kingdom. And reward the player for exploring its, dont put as many restrictions on Links ability to explore, intelligently create obstacles for him to overcome.

4. Dungeons. Dungeons need to be trimmed down. We dont need 9 random dungeons strategically placed throughout the world for Link to tackle one by one. Bring down to 4, maybe 5 at the most. Have them be structures in society that have a real purpose and function within the world, not isolated temples set aside for Link to go from point A to B and fight the final boss. Take a page from Metroid and make them big since theres fewer of them and allow for multiple avenues of exploration and dont allow them to be tackled in one run. Design them in such a way that it cant all be explored the first time through. Work it into their layout and purpose in the story so that they have to be revisited after a time like in Metroid and reward the player for it.

5. Items. Cut down on items, really only have a few that make up the core of the game. Give the player these core items early in the game and upgrade them if applicable and really use them to their fullest through the game and its puzzles. Focus on the bow, boomerang, hookshot, iron boots and bombs and intelligently upgrade them or apply twists to their design to really let the player use them throughout the world and make it rewarding for the play to experiment with these items, dont make their use so cut and dry.

6. Bosses. Build off that depth of the items and apply it to bosses. Add some depth to the formula of expose the weak spot, hit it three times and youre done. Make us really think about how we have to utilize our arsenal to attack and expose the boss and use more than just a new item to do so but the environment around us and allow for multiple ways to do so.

7. Combat. Take the NMH sty.le of combat and really build off that. Make timing, hight and rythym of pressing A for attacking important, and really use the motion controls for techniques and counter attacks that are actually needed to defeat enemies. TP was great with all the techniques it had, but only like two were actually necessary. Make using these attack techniques integral to the combat.

8. Towns and cities. Make more than three of them. Really populate the world and allow it to be explored with NPCs that have some real substance to them like in MM. Make it so the player cares about the people of the world and their plight. Make the world feel alive.

9. Main quest. Have the main quest really affect the world and be in the world not just confined to the dungeons/temples. Have events take place in the towns and cites and overworld. Don't have the enemy be so complacent allowing Link to take each stronghold one after the other. When we beat a boss or take a dungeon have the enemy counter attack, some kind of retaliation. Like I said the dungeons should be returned to have it because the enemy has recaptured an area or opened a previously sealed off area to have as their new stronghold. Make it really feel like a battle for the fate of Hyrule.

10. Side quests. Like I said before with the NPCs have these sidequest really bring the player closer to them in ways main quest events cant. And as well have them also affect the world around you. Opening up extra avenues for Link and improving relations with the people of the World. TPs quests like getting Rupees for Malo to open his shop or fix the bridge type things but more and definitely MM sty.le side quests.

11. Make Rupees mean something. Eliminate finding bombs, arrows, MP, bombs and rupees from the over world from cut grass. Confine them to chests, boxes/barrels and dungeons. Give meaning to their existence and for our getting bigger wallets. Even if its just a bunch of superficial things like different outfits and unneeded upgrades for Links equipment, but have these upgrades be useful not junk like the Magic Armor in TP.

I agree with a lot of your post, however, I think all of your suggestions would stray to far from what Zelda is. I disagree with points 4 and 5 and some what 2. The story could be deeper. But Zelda always was a game with shallow story and deep game play. As opposed to most FPS's that revolve around a deep story but shallow game play. The best thing would be another IP. But that would be a nice twist to the franchise. Just not so much that you change what the game is.