By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda Wii Ideas

1. Story. Reboot the series. Start fresh and from the beginning. Really create a strong history and mythos for Hyrule that can be explored and built upon with each sequel or prequel instead of this messed up thing we have now that tries to vaguely connect each game but not really. Fully develop the characters, give them a history, especially Ganondorf and Link, provide them with real personalities and some depth for why they do what they do.

2. Narrative. With #1 in mind the game needs a strong narrative, with voice acting, except for Link. A really well thought out plotline that doesnt have to be super deep but more so than previous titles and definitely has to be well executed and cohesive. Not some patchwork like TPs plot was.

3. World. Create a well developed world. Take a note from SotC and create a world that feels natural and isnt so cookie cutter showing it was made with the purpose of being a game, but looks and feels like a real kingdom with size to it. Intelligently place the towns, cities and dungeons throughout the land. Make it feel like this is a real working kingdom. And reward the player for exploring its, dont put as many restrictions on Links ability to explore, intelligently create obstacles for him to overcome.

4. Dungeons. Dungeons need to be trimmed down. We dont need 9 random dungeons strategically placed throughout the world for Link to tackle one by one. Bring down to 4, maybe 5 at the most. Have them be structures in society that have a real purpose and function within the world, not isolated temples set aside for Link to go from point A to B and fight the final boss. Take a page from Metroid and make them big since theres fewer of them and allow for multiple avenues of exploration and dont allow them to be tackled in one run. Design them in such a way that it cant all be explored the first time through. Work it into their layout and purpose in the story so that they have to be revisited after a time like in Metroid and reward the player for it.

5. Items. Cut down on items, really only have a few that make up the core of the game. Give the player these core items early in the game and upgrade them if applicable and really use them to their fullest through the game and its puzzles. Focus on the bow, boomerang, hookshot, iron boots and bombs and intelligently upgrade them or apply twists to their design to really let the player use them throughout the world and make it rewarding for the play to experiment with these items, dont make their use so cut and dry.

6. Bosses. Build off that depth of the items and apply it to bosses. Add some depth to the formula of expose the weak spot, hit it three times and youre done. Make us really think about how we have to utilize our arsenal to attack and expose the boss and use more than just a new item to do so but the environment around us and allow for multiple ways to do so.

7. Combat. Take the NMH sty.le of combat and really build off that. Make timing, hight and rythym of pressing A for attacking important, and really use the motion controls for techniques and counter attacks that are actually needed to defeat enemies. TP was great with all the techniques it had, but only like two were actually necessary. Make using these attack techniques integral to the combat.

8. Towns and cities. Make more than three of them. Really populate the world and allow it to be explored with NPCs that have some real substance to them like in MM. Make it so the player cares about the people of the world and their plight. Make the world feel alive.

9. Main quest. Have the main quest really affect the world and be in the world not just confined to the dungeons/temples. Have events take place in the towns and cites and overworld. Don't have the enemy be so complacent allowing Link to take each stronghold one after the other. When we beat a boss or take a dungeon have the enemy counter attack, some kind of retaliation. Like I said the dungeons should be returned to have it because the enemy has recaptured an area or opened a previously sealed off area to have as their new stronghold. Make it really feel like a battle for the fate of Hyrule.

10. Side quests. Like I said before with the NPCs have these sidequest really bring the player closer to them in ways main quest events cant. And as well have them also affect the world around you. Opening up extra avenues for Link and improving relations with the people of the World. TPs quests like getting Rupees for Malo to open his shop or fix the bridge type things but more and definitely MM sty.le side quests.

11. Make Rupees mean something. Eliminate finding bombs, arrows, MP, bombs and rupees from the over world from cut grass. Confine them to chests, boxes/barrels and dungeons. Give meaning to their existence and for our getting bigger wallets. Even if its just a bunch of superficial things like different outfits and unneeded upgrades for Links equipment, but have these upgrades be useful not junk like the Magic Armor in TP.

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

Around the Network

i love you, i love you for writing this, i hope this happens.

good write up. Would be a great addition, maybe even the best, to the franchise if Nini took into consideration even half of your suggestions.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

you really have a very clear idea about what you want in it
and i agree with much of what you say,except that they wont do it
partly because of a set formula and somethings because of disc constraints
i like your idea of reduced dungeons, so id recommend addition of a mini-boss in every one of them, who is not a breeze to go past
also id like to see some innovative combination of various old items
also a deeper combat system,as you said
what id really like to see, and you mentioned it too, is some character development for the big 3,at least.more than there is in tp
what im not sure about is voice acting,cause it might not go down well, given only retro have tried it once yet,and it wasnt amongst the best

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

i do not regret reading this despite it being 3:30am.. very good writeup.. i mainly agree with the sidequests and NPCs.. thats what i loved about Majoras mask and Windwaker, the characters had personality, very much unlike TP

and i'd also like to see some 'dungeon' type areas being completely optional, andgoing through them would reward you by adding something like more NPCs in the nearest town (perhaps the ones you saved from the dungeon) .. something that is an optional reward, and at the same time, not a pointless reward (eg. chest with 100 rupees)

Around the Network
Sherlock99 said:

1. Story. Reboot the series. Start fresh and from the beginning. Really create a strong history and mythos for Hyrule that can be explored and built upon with each sequel or prequel instead of this messed up thing we have now that tries to vaguely connect each game but not really. Fully develop the characters, give them a history, especially Ganondorf and Link, provide them with real personalities and some depth for why they do what they do.

Have you seen The Angry Video Game Nerd's theory of the plotline?  Check it out here.

Having another backstory to the Zelda mythos would be interesting, but would be nice to see where it would fit.  (assuming people will argue what the "first" Legend of Zelda game would be.) 

i think they should make the graphics as best as they can

i think it should not be a sequel to wind waker

11ht11 said:
i think they should make the graphics as best as they can

i think it should not be a sequel to wind waker

if it were the sequel to Windwaker, they'd probably call it Phantom Hourglass or something weird like that

Maybe they could do boomerang motions with the Wiimote. I have the GCN Twilight Princess, so I don't know if that was implemented in the Wii version. You would motion the Wiimote like throwing a boomerang and catch it by pushing your remote forward, or something like that.

schattenwolf86 said:
Maybe they could do boomerang motions with the Wiimote. I have the GCN Twilight Princess, so I don't know if that was implemented in the Wii version. You would motion the Wiimote like throwing a boomerang and catch it by pushing your remote forward, or something like that.

In TP:Wii, the boomerang was controlled with the pointer, i think that'd work better than motion swing, only because the puzzle/bossfighting requirements of the boomerang usually requires targetting a certain point from multiple choices, rather than just randomly throwing it