By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

the stories in zelda games arent so bad.
they are all just similar ( evil maniac with power mostly ganandorf who is ressurected or something kidnaps friend of link > save her and defeat boss and save the world.
The real dissapointment came when i was collecting cheese and carrots for some cartoonish looking yeti monster, it really turned me off so much i didnt bother to play it anymore.

just because you like nintendo doesnt mean everything they make is pure gold.
although i always loved zelda i think after the n64 days they are kinda in a slump.

and please dont flame me for having a different opinion than you

Around the Network

@ZenfoldorVG1
i loved link to the past,but the light and dark realms,dungeons ,items ,the basic plot need to move on a little bit. i mean a lot of people have grown up with zelda games and if nintendo tried to make it more interesting just to the old-timers,it makes sense, because well, the series isnt really making new fans,is it?as a somewhat old fan, id really like to see some of the changes sherlock mentioned ,not to conform to ant maturity standards,but just because they might make zelda way cooler and more fun than before.
but that doesnt mean anouma and team arent thinking along the same lines (because he did say TP was the last of its kind).so maybe ead guys are reading this thread and going"rets put that one next"

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

wartaal said:
the stories in zelda games arent so bad.
they are all just similar ( evil maniac with power mostly ganandorf who is ressurected or something kidnaps friend of link > save her and defeat boss and save the world.
The real dissapointment came when i was collecting cheese and carrots for some cartoonish looking yeti monster, it really turned me off so much i didnt bother to play it anymore.

just because you like nintendo doesnt mean everything they make is pure gold.
although i always loved zelda i think after the n64 days they are kinda in a slump.

and please dont flame me for having a different opinion than you

I loved that temple!! Interesting you stopped playing there.

I enjoy readin' your post it's always a pleasure to read to discuss subjets ideas about one of the best franchise ever.

All I can say is that " Zelda is epic " and this will never change.

@Aidman thanks

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

Around the Network

So basically make it less like a Japanese game, and more like a Western game?

... you know, that would actually be a very good idea. Japan is by far the smallest market for Zelda games anyway.

Sherlock99 said:

1. Story. Reboot the series. Start fresh and from the beginning. Really create a strong history and mythos for Hyrule that can be explored and built upon with each sequel or prequel instead of this messed up thing we have now that tries to vaguely connect each game but not really. Fully develop the characters, give them a history, especially Ganondorf and Link, provide them with real personalities and some depth for why they do what they do.

2. Narrative. With #1 in mind the game needs a strong narrative, with voice acting, except for Link. A really well thought out plotline that doesnt have to be super deep but more so than previous titles and definitely has to be well executed and cohesive. Not some patchwork like TPs plot was.

4. Dungeons. Dungeons need to be trimmed down. We dont need 9 random dungeons strategically placed throughout the world for Link to tackle one by one. Bring down to 4, maybe 5 at the most. Have them be structures in society that have a real purpose and function within the world, not isolated temples set aside for Link to go from point A to B and fight the final boss. Take a page from Metroid and make them big since theres fewer of them and allow for multiple avenues of exploration and dont allow them to be tackled in one run. Design them in such a way that it cant all be explored the first time through. Work it into their layout and purpose in the story so that they have to be revisited after a time like in Metroid and reward the player for it.

5. Items. Cut down on items, really only have a few that make up the core of the game. Give the player these core items early in the game and upgrade them if applicable and really use them to their fullest through the game and its puzzles. Focus on the bow, boomerang, hookshot, iron boots and bombs and intelligently upgrade them or apply twists to their design to really let the player use them throughout the world and make it rewarding for the play to experiment with these items, dont make their use so cut and dry.

6. Bosses. Build off that depth of the items and apply it to bosses. Add some depth to the formula of expose the weak spot, hit it three times and youre done. Make us really think about how we have to utilize our arsenal to attack and expose the boss and use more than just a new item to do so but the environment around us and allow for multiple ways to do so.

11. Make Rupees mean something. Eliminate finding bombs, arrows, MP, bombs and rupees from the over world from cut grass. Confine them to chests, boxes/barrels and dungeons. Give meaning to their existence and for our getting bigger wallets. Even if its just a bunch of superficial things like different outfits and unneeded upgrades for Links equipment, but have these upgrades be useful not junk like the Magic Armor in TP.

Why aren't helping make the new Zelda games. You would make the next Zelda games AWESOME!!! I especially agree with the storyline and the characteristics of Link, Zelda, etc. 

How about where theres a world split between WW style world and real style world

I agree with the more populous world big time. I do not agree with the fewer dungeons.

LttP was my favorite Zelda because it had like 12-13 dungeons(including minor ones).

Maybe have 5 MAJOR dungeons that take severa hours a piece to beat, then 8-10 smaller ones like the Gerudu prison in OoT or the Well.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Good read. I agree with many of your points, except for numbers 4 and 5.

Concerning items, I enjoy the variety of items that we've had in past games. However, I think it is necessary that the items be useful (or at least usable, even if just to mess around with) in the overworld. Take the masks from MM, for example. Most of them could be used anywhere and everywhere, even if it was just for a bit of dancing or to take the local animals on parade. This was a chief problem in TP. The items had very specific uses, so much so that you practically could not use them at all outside of the dungeons. Take the spinner for example. It did almost nothing outside of the dungeons, except for the 1-2 spots that were designed specifically for it. Nintendo could've at least made a skateboard-type device out of it to mess around with, ala the hover board in Jak II.

As for dungeons, I agree with your point, "Have them be structures in society that have a real purpose and function within the world, not isolated temples set aside for Link to go from point A to B and fight the final boss." I want the dungeons to blend well with the world around them, and not be oh so obvious dungeons. The specific dungeons worked well in OoT, because each was an actual temple, but in later games the world seemed to divided into obvious and often odd segments. This was problem faced by the dungeons as well (boss room 1, 2nd floor, boss room 2, etc.), though TP was slowly getting around this (the snow mansion, the lost woods, etc.).

However, I do not agree with your point that the dungeons should be made larger and more infrequent. As Borkachev said, numerous dungeons gives the game more variety.

To touch on my point about the world being a bit to cut & paste, they need to mix up the layout of the dungeons. It shouldn't be "find map, find compass, find boss key, beat boss." They should aim to mix things up more, quite possibly giving you no clue you're fighting the boss until he's been defeated.

One idea I had in mind borrows heavily from Shadow of the Colossus. Imagine wandering through a dungeon completely unable to figure out where the boss is. You get to the "end", you trigger some event, and suddenly the dungeon itself wakes up! It turns the entire dungeon is one enormous boss, and you were running around on him the entire time! You'd then have to figure out how to take down this boss. It would be quite exciting, and it would greatly help the dungeon seem more seemless and whole, imo.