By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Do you prefer your TV over a cinema screen?

I prefer...

Cinema 7 36.84%

Home TV 10 52.63%

Home projector 0 0%

Any screen, even my phone 0 0%

Imax 1 5.26%

4DX 1 5.26%

Total:19
SvennoJ said:

Home TV.

4K HDR
Better black level (why I prefer TV now over home projector)
Pause button available
Rewind available
Subtitles available
Cheap food available
Cheap drinks available
Alcohol and edibles available to enhance the movie :)
Clean bathroom available
More comfortable seating
No travel time
No sticky floors
No smart phone screens
No Popcorn smell
No People walking around

65" TV is big enough to be fully immersed.

I didn't even consider the black levels, yeah, there's always that dark grey on cinema screens where black should be but now even our cheap TV's have deep blacks never mind true blacks like something from Samsungs QLED, LG's Nano cell (which both are budget to mid range) or a full on OLED. That with HDR and cinema screens look like big CRT's compared. 

Around the Network

Both, theres movies I like to watch in the cinema cause it fits the medium.

It depends, I prefer to see certain movies in a theater, either IMAX or a smaller VIP lounge with recliners. But movie tickets have become really expensive, and in regular ones there's almost always a lot of disturbances. IMAX tickets go for about 25$ a piece here now, with VIP tickets only marginally cheaper. 

I buy my favorite movies on 4K Blu-ray though; streaming services don't even come close in picture and sound quality (the bitrate of a 4K stream is roughly that of a standard 1080p Blu-ray disc). Oh, and I just purchased what is perhaps the world's most intense HDR TV right now: a Sony Bravia 9 85". Paired with an amazing sound-system, the home experience is incredible. I've never spent this much on TV and sound, but it's easily worth it. I can now experience movies and shows, not merely watch them.

Yes and no. Yes, because no distractions and convenience. No, because the screen is tiny in comparison, and the sound system can't compete.

But imo, the movie industry went downhill some time ago, so... yeah. I never go. When they get back to making epic original movies like E.T, Star Wars, Field of Dreams and Jurassic Park again, let me know. Until then...

If I had an IMAX within 5-15 miles of me, I'd probably watch almost every movie they would show.
I can hardly pick between cinemas and home viewing.
Home
+Pause, fast forward, rewind
+Infinitely cheaper food and drink since you don't have to buy anything from a concession stand or risk getting busted for sneaking in candy or other things.
-Distractions at home since you can pause, pets, family members, etc.
-Smaller screen
-Worse sound
Cinema
+Better Sound
+Bigger Screen
-No pausing, which makes me super reluctant to go to the bathroom, though I usually don't have to.
-Pricy food and drink
If I'm watching a movie alone, I prefer cinemas. If I'm watching with at least one other person or a small group, I prefer at home.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:

I didn't even consider the black levels, yeah, there's always that dark grey on cinema screens where black should be but now even our cheap TV's have deep blacks never mind true blacks like something from Samsungs QLED, LG's Nano cell (which both are budget to mid range) or a full on OLED. That with HDR and cinema screens look like big CRT's compared. 

It's why I never upgraded my 1080p LCD projector. It was a good one at the time ($3,500) very sharp, great colors, but even though I painted the walls dark red, ceiling, floor, couch, shelves all black, still you get scattered light falling back on the screen. It's simply impossible to get true black on a reflective screen.

So even upgrading to a $60K laser projector won't look as good as OLED can. Besides that, local dimming LED TVs already look much better in black level and contrast. And then there's HDR on top. Projectors can't produce that brightness, and if they can, it will just scatter around and ruin the black level.

Watching the same movie on HDR TV gives much more depth to the movie than watching it on a projection screen. Plus if you want more 'immersion' just move the couch closer ;)

Sound is also better at home. I'm used to my surround setup, calibrated to the room, and can always sit in the 'sweet spot'. My good old Rel Storm III Subwoofer delivers plenty 'oomph' while my B&W speakers sound better than those at my local cinema.

The one positive I give to the cinema is, you watch the movie to the end in one go! Often at home I watch a movie in multiple sittings. (or fall asleep, too comfy lol)

It was certainly an experience to go see Interstellar at the IMAX theater. I had to get used to the strobe light effect though, but the actual IMAX scenes were great. However it's a long drive there, and back after. Sound wasn't as good and sci-fi really needs that black level. I enjoyed the movie just as much if not more at home on blu-ray. Enough to buy it again on 4K blu-ray with HDR. Ugh I spend quite a bit on that one haha.

I agree sound is better at home as well. Sitting dead middle with a nice sound system is amazing.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

SvennoJ said:

Home TV.

4K HDR
Pause button available
Rewind available
Subtitles available
Cheap food available
Cheap drinks available
Clean bathroom available
More comfortable seating
No travel time
No sticky floors
No smart phone screens
No Popcorn smell
No People walking around

I’ll hand you the pause button, but what kind of derelict cinema do you have in your area lol.

S.Peelman said:
SvennoJ said:

Home TV.

4K HDR
Pause button available
Rewind available
Subtitles available
Cheap food available
Cheap drinks available
Clean bathroom available
More comfortable seating
No travel time
No sticky floors
No smart phone screens
No Popcorn smell
No People walking around

I’ll hand you the pause button, but what kind of derelict cinema do you have in your area lol.

It certainly isn't Tuschinski :p

Standard small town mediocre cinema

Black level does get a bit better once the lights go out :p

Before I moved I lived in Amsterdam and there going to the cinema is so much better. I enjoyed many movies here

The TV I have? No, it's like 12 years old by this point. Current TVs in general? Yeah they definitely surpass cinemas in picture quality.