By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 36, 2024 (Sep 02 - Sep 08)

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Might have a longer tail considering how well received the game is. Sony pretty much chose the worst week to hike the price of their console, which is seriously hampering Astrobot's sales in Japan.

I have this same thought when it comes to Astro Bot. Second week sales will be very telling. 

Around the Network

King Switch !!!!!
Hope they release Tomodachi Life and Rhythm Heaven, Japan deserves it!!

Oh my ... We did know it was going to be a destructive week for the PS5 due to the price hike and it certainly was ...

Astro Bot, their biggest exclusive in a good while barely did anything on the software side 😕

It does slightly join the impressions I had from the UK numbers though. Superb critical reception but it doesn't seem to have garner more sales on a substantial level.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

12K for Astro Bot is so, so sad to see.

PS5 hardware sale where to be expected due to price increase. Astro bot apparently sold out at most places, so perhaps the digital ratio is very high.

Sony can't be losing too much money on those expensive cases, discs and giving money to the middle man of course. Otherwise they could have stocked the game better.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

People were predicting a drop in PS5 sales and it most definitely happened this week.  All of those Playstation titles that debuted last week are now out of the top 10 as well.

Meanwhile the Switch is up WoW.  It's going to pass 2M YTD next week and that will only be half-way into September.  There is enough time left in the year that I definitely think it can pass 3M this year.  I don't think it will get over 3.4M to beat 2017's or 2018's total though.  Even though Switch is in its eighth year, it's sales are still close enough to 2017 and 2018 that its still putting up significant sales numbers towards its lifetime total.  Switch sales momentum still appears to have a decent amount of gas left in the tank.

Strong Switch sales this week but ouch for the sales of the PS5 and Astro Bot. This could be the low point for the PS5 after the price hike since at least some people who would've bought it this week will have done so a bit sooner cause of that but either way the baseline is likely dropping below 20k. It remaining ahead of the PS4 in Japan long term could very well come down to if the PS6 comes out in 2027 or 2028 at this point since while it will be ahead of the PS4's sales at the end of 2017 by a few hundred thousand by the end of this year, it'll lose at least some of that lead next year since I do not see it selling 1.7m in 2025. I'd still give the PS5 a good shot of remaining ahead even if it's 2027 though due to the notable lead it has. Also the current LTD of the PS5 is actually almost exactly the same as the PS4's LTD at the end of 2017 which is a neat coincidence.

Switch less than 20% down YoY this week, when it's now closer to its 8th birthday than it's 7th. It's been said so many times already, but it really is crazy.

Shame about Astrobot, it seems like a really good game, it's just handcuffed to a system that Japan isn't that interested in, especially with the price hike.

Mar1217 said:

Oh my ... We did know it was going to be a destructive week for the PS5 due to the price hike and it certainly was ...

Astro Bot, their biggest exclusive in a good while barely did anything on the software side 😕

It does slightly join the impressions I had from the UK numbers though. Superb critical reception but it doesn't seem to have garner more sales on a substantial level.

I wouldn't worry about Astro bot. Similar to the UK where it sold 20% more than Ratchet  with digital factored in, the Japanese physical sales will be disproportionately low. It was sold out in many retailers & on Amazon, it's still the No.1  game on Amazon JP as well...

The hype for this game really began a week ago when the reviews came in and it's still not some huge IP, so it will depend more on legs Vs a big launch. Although it's looking over 1m globally week one, which is a strong start and its still charting well in its second week 

Last edited by Otter - on 13 September 2024

The Switch needs to sell around 64k until the rest of the year to reach 3M units sold in Japan