By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro revealed. November 7th 2024. $699

kazuyamishima said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

you honestly think the Switch will be priced to compete with the likes of handheld PCs like the Steam Deck??? Sounds like wishful thinking. Nintendo has sold the Switch at a profit since day one.

What price do you expect then? 

If you tell me $349, that's a pipe dream and means that anybody would expect a very modest improvement compared to the current switch then.

No I definitely agree with you that the price will be higher than the current Switch. But this generation has proven to Nintendo that they don’t need top of the line hardware to be immensely successful. That was something Satoru Iwata discovered when he first became president of Nintendo and that led to the Wii and that philosophy has continued to the Switch. I think $399 will be the sweet spot Nintendo will be aiming for. It will allow for somewhere around the range between a base PS4 and PS4 Pro, which even for a handheld would be pretty incredible. 

Around the Network
G2ThaUNiT said:
kazuyamishima said:

If you tell me $349, that's a pipe dream and means that anybody would expect a very modest improvement compared to the current switch then.

That was something Satoru Iwata discovered when he first became president of Nintendo 

That was something Gunpei Yokoi discovered with the original Gameboy actually.

LegitHyperbole said:

😆 

Me saying hold my beer to Sony and this video with me playing on my 15 years old 399$ PS3 FAT unit on the good old spiderman games such as shattered dimensions and last of us original release from 2013 in 720p on my 4K 50 inch TV and enjoying it very much (yes even my PS4 is no more, since I sold it, there is no bigger library than the PS3&360 one, and I already finished the PS4 one).

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 11 September 2024

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

Mar1217 said:

It'll be a great exercise in showcasing how much gamer enthusiasts is willing to swallow before the pill is simply too big to even get into your mouth.

Of course, the 2TB SSD is definitely worthy of note for the reason which is why we ain't seeing the awaited 599 price instead. Nonetheless .... Of course they gotta fuck up everyone else with the exchange rates as well.

699£ is just astonishing how bad this is getting. 800 Euros is gonna price out the majority of the EU market. There's also the thousand mark being likely for both Canadians and Australians .... Just wow.

And the cherry on top ... 120,000¥ ?!!! This is basically unachievable for the great majority of Japanese players.

Appart from launch and maybe the holiday bump, this will be an almost unnoticeable presence to the overall PS5 sales. Not even 10% of the total sounds like a real possibility.

Soundwave said:

This is actually the pricing all in USD with tax

US ~760USD
JAP ~842USD
EU ~881USD
UK ~915USD

So yeah Americans shouldn't be complaining. Everywhere else is the equivalent of $840+ USD. Look at that UK price, lol. 

PS5 Pro saying to the PS3's 599$ 2006 price "hold my beer". PS3 at least could backed it up. PS5 can't. PS3 at that time yes it was expensive, and not for anyone but at least had more and better games at it's launch years than whole of the PS5 gen, had full backward native compatibility, had free online, and you really got the next gen graphics, so it's price was with reasons for it. And let's not forget the then relevant new tech - Bluray player. PS5 has none of these things and the thing with what they try to sell it is game from 2020 on the PS4. To put PS3 in the same situation it had to had no backwat compatibility in 2006, had almost no games only 2 till 2010, and show game GTA Vice city from 2002 on it's 2006 E3, running in 720p. (even then the resolution difference was there, where now anything above 2K is hardly noticable let alone 4k and 8k)

Cerebralbore101 said:

So let me get this straight. Controllers now break with drift every other year and cost $75. PSN is $79.99 a year for the basic version. No price cuts for consoles. No disc drive included. Games go to PC within a year or two. Massive amounts of money being wasted on crap like Concord or buying Bungie instead of focusing on good single-player games.

Anybody remember when PS4 was $300 for the slim model, PSN was cheaper, games were actually exclusive, and controllers didn't break?

Don't get me wrong. PC blows because no physical option. But both Sony's and Xbox's consoles are pathetic compared to what we had one generation ago. I think I'm done with modern consoles after this gen. Maybe I'll upgrade my PC and wait until games are 70% off to buy them. Paying $70 for a digital-only copy of a game is for morons, especially if you aren't going to play the game immediately. And my backlog is massive anyway.

Edit: Switch 2 I will probably still get. But I think you guys know what I mean. Modern as in $500 and up gaming machines that sit below your TV.

In a contrary to that I will just write down the 180 degrees opposite case for the best console generation - PS3&360.

Controllers that lasted forever and yes, even their charge time beloved by many - Dualshock 3 and the 360 wireless one which became favorite one for milions of players.

Free online play, and only 60$ for the XBL, in a time when there were no microtransactions, and the online was really fun.

Pricecut on every 12 months. Yes, literally. Go take a look at the time period between 2006 and 2012. (and yes I put the 360 in this too, it was not only for PS3).

Not only disc drive but even freeking memory cards, adapters, and compatibility for almost everything.

Really exclusives games that did not come to PC. Yes even those for 360 (almost all of them).

Custom hardware where you could see graphics improvements pretty much every year till the end of the gen.

And lastly but not least, a ridiculious prices for the then last gen console in that time period in case you are broke and can't afford more than 299$ (199$ later) for the bare minimum of next gen console that was XBOX360 Core/Arcade - 99$ PS2, with plenty of good games to play.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 11 September 2024

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

EricHiggin said:
twintail said:

Simple, it's being pushed as an enthusiast high-end device, hence the inclusion of 2tb to cater to that kind of thinking.

No disc drive because honestly the world had largely become digital, and they'd prefer you spent your money digitally too

PS4 Pro was also enthusiast, and it ended up at $399, which is where the base PS4 was still at 3 years later.

PS4 Slim was also launched along with PS4 Pro and both were 1TB. Why wasn't PS4 Pro a 2TB-4TB HDD?

Are digital media gamers more enthusiast than physical media gamers?

Different times. I think you know the answers to these questions. 

Better economic situation during PS4Pro. First time Sony doing a mid-gen refresh like this. Digital gaming is bigger piece of the pie now. 

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:

The PS5 disc add-on jumped up to 5th on best sellers on Amazon.com and is now sold out... Lol.

Doesn't pro require a different disc drive? Is this scalpers? Or are there that many physical or die people out there?

G2ThaUNiT said:
kazuyamishima said:

No I definitely agree with you that the price will be higher than the current Switch. But this generation has proven to Nintendo that they don’t need top of the line hardware to be immensely successful. That was something Satoru Iwata discovered when he first became president of Nintendo and that led to the Wii and that philosophy has continued to the Switch. I think $399 will be the sweet spot Nintendo will be aiming for. It will allow for somewhere around the range between a base PS4 and PS4 Pro, which even for a handheld would be pretty incredible. 

I know this isn't a Switch thread but Nintendo has an opportunity.  The ps5 hasn't had a price cut, the pro is expensive as crap...  if they can go super aggressive on S2 pricing it could catch wild fire.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

G2ThaUNiT said:

What was once an affordable plug and play solution compared to PC gaming is quickly becoming an ultra luxury hobby for many.

Yup. Bought the Gamecube at launch. Thing was $199.99. lol

curl-6 said:

It's telling that several games they used to show off the PS5 Pro are PS4 games, both in terms of diminishing graphical returns and the dearth of current gen showcases even 4 years into the generation.

Software lineup has been awful this generation, especially with Naughty. 

But I think diminishing returns is a console problem.  Lighting, particles, volumetric and fps huge jumps are there but consoles are focus on resolution and not effects.  I think 1440p is the sweet spot, but honestly 1080p + effects looks amazing.  Sony needs to drop resolution as a focal point.  Resolution is diminishing returns.  

Edit

I've said many times before and people might tired of hearing it.  But on my 55 inch OLED, I can't tell the difference between 1440p and 4k.  I can't.  Take 1440p and add DLSS...  there just isn't a difference.  There is a reason 1440p monitors are super popular in the PC world.  It feels like PC gamers figured out a long time ago 4k is a waste of resources, unless someone has a 85+ inch screen.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

$700
No stand.
No Disc Drive.
No Games.
No Extra controller.
No shame.

我是广州人